Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bond rotation
brew
Hazard to Self

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 02:20
Bond rotation

Hi all,
For the molecule say ethylbenzene, the carbons on the ring are sp2 hybridised and due to the pi electrons
and it resonating, the pi orbitol makes the structure unable to twist, form different conformations, and instead it is planar. I grasp that and why, but I'm unsure of the bond between a carbon of the ring being sp2 and alpha to the ring the carbon would be sp3 hence the bond would be a sigma bond, but due to there not being a pi bond associated directly to the carbon alpha to the ring, I'm pretty sure there could be bond rotation, but I am unsure due to one orbital being sp2 hybridised. This would have great benefit to know, so help appreciated.
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 03:51

Your guess is correct. There is free rotation in all the sigma bonds leaving the ring.

A benzene ring is comprised of six sp2 hybridised carbon atoms arranged in a ring. These form the sigma framework. Each carbon atom also has a pure pi orbital perpendicular to the plane of the ring, formally containing a single electron. These pi orbitals form the pi "cloud" above and below the benzene ring through delocalisation.
Two of the three sp2 hybrid orbitals of each carbon atom contribute to the sigma framework of the benzene ring, while the third protrudes away from the ring in the plane of the ring. This can then overlap with another orbital, in this case an sp3 hybridised orbital centred on the alpha carbon. This overlap forms a cylindrically symmetrical bond, aka a sigma bond. Since there are no p orbitals not already involved in bonding on either the ring-carbon or the alpha-carbon, no pi bond can form. Hence, the Cring--Calpha bond is sigma in nature, and free rotation can therefore occur.

I hope this helps; diagrams (which I cannot draw) may be helpful here.

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 12:07

There is some amount of pi character in the bond between the benzene ring and the alpha carbon but it is very small. Quickly looking it up it seems like the barrier to rotation about that bond is ~10kj/mol which sounds about right.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 18:57

As far as I know what has been said is correct, hindrance about the sigma bond (bond to a phenyl group) certainly depends on the rest of the molecule as well, for example the pi bonds from a benzoyl C=O exhibit a mesomeric resonance with the pi electrons from the ring, which hinders bond rotation around the phenyl-carbonyl C-C.
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 02:37

Thx for the many responses. Appreciated!
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 03:16

So Hsppyfooddance, you are implying that if the alpha carbon was a ketone then it would form a part with a conjugated system, and with resonance the carbonyl will position itself planar to the aryl group? I think that is what you meant. Earlier on I was wondering if the alpha carbon was a stereo enter and how free rotation might mess with it forming a specific confirmation with respect to polarised light. It doesn't seem to, as it's only that one bond rotating in question, with respect to a chiral molecule. It doesn't seem to matter whether it rotates or not, I found it hard to grasp, and needed to get out the plasticine and matches.;) Cheers
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 19:18

Brew, My organic is a bit hazy but I assume you are referring to a compound like Acetophenone. There is definitely going to be more pi electron interaction with the aromatic ring in acetophenone than in ethyl benzene. The barrier to rotation for acetophenone is around 22kj/mol compared to the 10kj/mol of ethyl benzene. That being said at room temperature they will freely rotate around the bond.

https://faculty.missouri.edu/~glaserr/8160f07/CNMR_Dynamics....
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 19:54

HeyWalruslover69, I was paraphrasing an earlier post that talked about, I am pretty sure, if the alpha to the ring carbon was a ketone, and as rusty as I am, I assumed with resonance that, I thought would now include the carbonyl, such as the case with acetophenone. This would, I thought prevent the now sp2-sp2 bond from rotating, and I thought the carbonyl would allign in a planar confirmation with the benzene ring. You have presented the energy that would be required for movement, which I think is double the amount required for an sp2-sp3 bond. Makes sense, and thanks for going to the trouble looking it up. Am I right that the carbonyl of scetsphenone would enter the conjugated system with the aryl group. I'm pretty sure a pi bond can be formed between the ring carbon and the carbonyl carbon, as well as breaking the pi bond of the carbonyl. I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I might need to get out my text, to remember the details, cheers mate and thx
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 12:01

I think you are on the right track. In my opinion its best to try and not think about it in terms of resonance and VESPR but instead in terms of molecular orbitals and electron density. The pi bond with the carbonyl isn't really being broken, just a small amount of the electron density from that bond is being delocalized into the molecular orbital. The carbonyl bond is still mostly a double bond, and the ring-carbonyl bond is only slightly more than a single bond.

It was no trouble at all, I'm actually just starting a research project calculating barriers to rotation and rotation rates using NMR. When you lower the temperature so that the molecule doesn't have the energy to overcome the barrier to rotation you can see a NMR peak split into multiple peaks because if they aren't rotating the groups are no longer equivalent.
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 18:01

Interesting indeed, I had resonance so drilled into my understanding, but what your implying makes alot of sense. Is there a correlation between bond rotation/no rotation, and reaction rates. I dare say activation energy is a component. Just thinking out aloud. I'm pleased for you, doing this research, and best of luck.
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 03:05

One thing I am unsure of, and Im sorry to bug you about it, but I hate not grasping stuff, so please understand but you conveyed that when there is bond rotation, the groups, neighbouring atoms with hydrogens attached, be it shielded, or not so shielded, so with rotation, take a acetylahyde, with its methyl group protons, and its aldehyde proton, so with rotation, one cannot expect the deshielded aldehyde proton, to exhibit, a greater chemical shift, with a quartet and the methyl group, less deshielding, hence a doublet, so with bond rotation, one couldn't distinguish this with peaks according to shielding, less shielding. Am I understanding what you meant. Im stubborn I know, but I like to grasp stuff.
\Also with respect to my abode post, I thought afterwards that the more energetic a system is, the more likely there is to be contact, hence a reaction, but there is no doubt an optimal temp, and how that relates to bond rotation and reactions, is interesting indeed. I thought that the more rotation occurring, the less chance for an optimal fit, re reactions, Sorry to waffle on, just bugged me that I wasn't sure what you meant. If you read this, and answer, thanks in advance. Cheers.

[Edited on 8-12-2018 by brew]
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 12:36

You're not bugging me at all,

I don't believe there is any broad relationship between bond rotation and reaction rates or activation energy. I imagine there are situations where rotation or lack of rotation can effect the reaction mechanism of specific reactions but it would vary for each reaction.

I don't think acetyladhyde is a good example, there seem to be some other factors that lead to the methyl peak not being a doublet.

The best example is DMF. At room temp the methyl groups rotate freely and are therefore equivalent and so they show up as 1 large peak. At low temperatures there is no rotation around the bond. This means the 2 methyl groups are no longer equivalent and therefore show up as 2 different peaks.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 12:50

Just to add- at low temp, the DMF molecule is planar, with one methyl being basically trans to the oxygen, and the other one cis to it. Thus the different chemical shifts.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-12-2018 at 07:53

OOOPs

Talk about not reading other peoples post clearly. I didn't pick up on the word, BASICALLY cis, and trans, as I thought it was totally planar, which for an sP3 nitrogen, it couldn't exactly be. So the cis, would be deshielded more than the trans orientation, being further away from the carbonyl. Makes sense. Im still getting my head around the fact, that if bond rotation is occurring, then the methyl group protons, will be seen as one, and that will cause a single peak, compared to the double peak if the cis, trans protons are different, as you've stated. IM going to completely learn all this again. I learnt to read spectral data, from reactions I had done, but understanding it, NOT QUITE. Thanks for the input fellas.

[Edited on 20-12-2018 by brew]

walruslover69
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-12-2018 at 08:24

Here are a couple good resources I used when I did my first lab on the subject

https://www.colby.edu/chemistry/PChem/lab/NMRrotBarrier.pdf

https://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/nmr/08-tech-03-dnmr.ht...
brew
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-12-2018 at 08:37

Thanks Walruslover69, appreciated. and AWESOME !!

Go To Top