Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Going thru chemically induced withdrawels...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 16:56
Going thru chemically induced withdrawels...

In more than one way... first it seems I ain't done a reaction since around Mayish. Its just too freaking hot outside. And I'm not sure but I think there may be a possible LE agent watching my abode so I decided it wise to get everything cleaned up and mothballed for the time being.

Second, I'm quitting smoking. Taking Chantix. It helps with the cravings but it still sucks... over the course of 4 days I've managed to cut my habit in half quantity wise and downgrade to ultra-light smokes without too much discomfort. But its still "blech". Quitting smoking sucks any way you go about it. I'll be glad when I get the full dose going in another couple days and then it'll be bye bye nicotine.

I guess other than that life is good. I'm looking forward to getting some more benzaldehyde research done later on this fall. I might even build me a big arse MAA reactor now that I found cheap 93% technical grade H2SO4 by the drum locally.

Anyhoos. End of boredom induced rant.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 17:50

Well hello! I'm glad you are cutting the habit!
What is a MAA reactor? I'm guessing something that produces methacrylic acid? Or does MAA stand for another chemical as well?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 18:18

Evil, I realize everyone is different but I found that the best way to quit smoking was just to stop. It's a severe mental challenge and you have to be determined. I quit when I was 20 years old. I had dreams about smoking for at least another 10 years.

Not performing a reaction for several months is cruel and unusual for a chemist.

Why do you think LE is watching you?
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 22:39

You have heard of varenicline's supposed penchant for inducing depression in certain individuals? http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/20/magazines/fortune/simons_smo...

I had high hopes for the drug if it actually worked well, but depression seems to be too high a price to pay.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 05:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Evil, I realize everyone is different but I found that the best way to quit smoking was just to stop. It's a severe mental challenge and you have to be determined. I quit when I was 20 years old. I had dreams about smoking for at least another 10 years.

Not performing a reaction for several months is cruel and unusual for a chemist.

Why do you think LE is watching you?

It seems there is a particular full size truck with tinted windows driving my my residence and turning around several times per day.

When I peep out the window, he looks at the house. When he sees me outside, he doesn't look.

No visible antennas for police radios, local tags. Person inside looks to be a man of 40-50 years old. Drive-bys ususally occur between 7-8AM, around 11, then once or twice more around 4-5PM.

Very odd indeed. I mean, why would anyone be driving a full size gas hog truck around unless they have some purpose?

I have been debating on following this guy just to see where he ends up.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
JeffAMX
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 16:56

*withdrawals
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 17:06

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker

I have been debating on following this guy just to see where he ends up.

Why not just report him to the cops for 'suspicious activity' - tell them you think the guy is looking to break into houses in your street or something. Could be good for a laugh.
If he is some kind of agent, its going to look bad for you if you tail him.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 17:20

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffAMX
*withdrawals

Why did you do this?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 17:29

He is correcting evil_lurkers spelling...

[Edited on 4-8-2008 by DJF90]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 18:59

Evil, what kind of a truck is this? Is it like a delivery truck where someone could be set up with surveillance equipment? I wouldn't want somebody surveiling me, but I can't help but think of the movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and his boss Charlton Heston where the surveiling agents have such a truck/van. I remember that the woman under surveillance knocks on the van door and offers the agents some lemonade. Then later Heston accuses the agents of "screwing the pooch," my favorite line as it seems so out of character for Moses (Heston.)

On more recollection the woman was Jamie Lee Curtis and the above line was my second favorite.

[Edited on 3-8-2008 by Magpie]

dapper
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 15:36

I'm a firm believer in the "If they were watching, you'd never see them" philosophy. Everything mothballed, if you know about them they probably don't have the resources to give you any trouble.
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2008 at 18:30

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkgap
You have heard of varenicline's supposed penchant for inducing depression in certain individuals? http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/20/magazines/fortune/simons_smo...

I had high hopes for the drug if it actually worked well, but depression seems to be too high a price to pay.

sparky (~_~)

Those reports are still under heavy scrutiny. The problem with Chantix is that too many people are using it who shouldn't be. Chantix was designed as a "last resort" smoking cessation product when all other forms of quitting have not worked. In addition, it is not intended to be a miracle pill to suddenly make you quit smoking. It is just designed to lower your cravings and perceived "need" for nicotine.

The rates of depressive events and odd dreams is actually no higher in patients taking Chantix than in those on Placebo if you read through the published trials. The problems that are commonly being seen can't be directly linked to Chantix due to other events taking place in those subjects. Drinking, family stress, work stress, etc. are all contributing factors to depressed states of mind. Quitting smoking alone is a very depressive and mentally tough thing to do.

There are currently too many clinical trials going on involving Chantix to count. A lot of these are the result of the FDA's decision and involve the psychological effects.

The FDA is doing what they need to do and warning the public about potential adverse events. Sadly, in a lot of cases they are more political than scientific and if someone whines loud enough they'll state something regardless of the truth.

I can't really speak any more about this for various reasons, but what I can say is to keep your doctor informed of anything that's not "normal" in your mind and stick with the quitting smoking. The effects of smoking cigarettes are far more damaging and deadly to you than anything Chantix could possibly do in a worst case scenario.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:42

my dear deceased mother told me that in hungry before the war when people wanted to quit smoking they would finely push a horse tail hair up into one cigarette in a packet. Not knowing which cigarette it was, the smoker would invariably drag deeply upon the horse hair one at some unexpected time. Apparently it makes one violently ill and nauseous for a considerable time.
The effect is to associate smoking with the nausea, coughing etc. Apparently it never takes more than two cigarettes.
Having never been a smoker i am obviously naive to the difficulties in countering the addiction but i always liked this idea. No-one i know has ever tried it and i can't understand why given it seems so simple.

ShadowWarrior4444
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sunlight on a pure white wall.

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Panache
my dear deceased mother told me that in hungry before the war when people wanted to quit smoking they would finely push a horse tail hair up into one cigarette in a packet. Not knowing which cigarette it was, the smoker would invariably drag deeply upon the horse hair one at some unexpected time. Apparently it makes one violently ill and nauseous for a considerable time.
The effect is to associate smoking with the nausea, coughing etc. Apparently it never takes more than two cigarettes.
Having never been a smoker i am obviously naive to the difficulties in countering the addiction but i always liked this idea. No-one i know has ever tried it and i can't understand why given it seems so simple.

This is based on the same principles used by some people to quit smoking today--aversion conditioning.

Some take pills that make the cigarette taste horrible. It generally needs to be a direct relationship, and the aversive effects should take place immediately. There are likely many other ways of bringing about the same effect.

A bit of my photography (usually chemisty/physics inspired): ShadowWarrior4444.deviantart.com/gallery
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 05:30

Another method I have heard of is adding a small amount (a few pinches of powder on the tip of a small knive) of NaHCO3 to the tobacco. Mix the powder very well and then use this treated tobacco for rolling the cigarettes. It seems to make the cigarettes taste less attractive and when this is done all the time, it slowly takes away the pleasure of smoking. It is not as drastic as the horse tail hair, but its long term effect seems to be quite good for many people. But as with the horse tail hair method, I have no personal experience (I do not smoke at all).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 08:58

Update:

Haven't had a cig since the 5th. Withdrawels were pretty bad on the 6th, but I decided to quit two days early and wasn't on the full 2mg per day dose. Things were better on the 7th. I still have cravings but they usually last less than a minute and are much more managable to deal with.

So far the stuff is working pretty good. I have a bit of nausea after taking a 1mg pill, but that lasts 30 minutes to an hour or so. It helps quite a bit to have something on my stomach before taking the pill.

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 15:37

I quit smoking in 1999 and I still have dreams of smoking but since about 2006 they are extrememly rare and they involve shame and embarrassment. I wake up relieved that I did not actually smoke.

Quote:

This is based on the same principles used by some people to quit smoking today--aversion conditioning.

My aversion training was running to exhaustion in early December with near freezing temperatures IMMEDIATELY followed by hotboxing 4 cigarettes consecutively in about 5 to 10 minutes. I made my self miserable 3 or 4 times and finally quit.

[Edited on 8/11/2008 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 05:21

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1

My aversion training was running to exhaustion in early December with near freezing temperatures IMMEDIATELY followed by hotboxing 4 cigarettes consecutively in about 5 to 10 minutes. I made my self miserable 3 or 4 times and finally quit.

As a smoker you wouldn't have had to run far to become exhausted!!
I take it 'hotboxing' is a method for smoking quickly. I guess a simpler version of aversion therapy would be to stab yourself in the arm with a compass every-time you have a cigarette, however if you possess this level of discipline you are not likely to need a hand quitting smoking.

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 05:29

I quit 1/01/00. Cravings gone completely by 2001. Congrats evil_lurker !!! It gets nothing but easier after 3-5 days, after 30 it's all in your head!

[Edited on 12-8-2008 by Phosphor-ing]

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 15:30

Ive begun chantix as well except to late as ive been diagnosed wth COPD.Smoking, enviromental factors possibly silicosis produced from ground concrete dust,Work in a plate shop exposure to acid vapors including but not limited to sulphuric /nitric,muriatic acids.Unknown Oil field chemicals,all w/o benefit of respirators(before the age of required respirators). At any rate id much prefer some temp depression than death from slow suffocation.Good luck quitting before the damage becomes a disease.:(

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by grndpndr]
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 19:17

Well, its now been about 107 days of being quit off of any tobacco or nicotine. Its gotten to where I can half ass be around smokers and not be all like "damn I need a cig" to "damn that sure would be nice". Cravings only last about 30 seconds tops usually.

My stalker finally hung it up about a three or four weeks ago. Ain't seen him since. Perhaps he has moved on to greener pastures. Don't know, don't really care.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 20:59

Hey evil, did you consider this was a paranoid reaction to chantix? Or do you own large collections of jewelry and artwork? Or a methamphetamine factory? How are you my friend? Feeling better? Do you breathe better? Cough gone? Excercising now? Food taste better? Women taste better? May I suggest buying a motorcycle? Anything but a Harley that is.. Hey man, good for you, congratulations! Tobacco is a hard one.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 22:40

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
Hey evil, did you consider this was a paranoid reaction to chantix?

Nah... my stalker was at it from about June to late Sept... long before I started the Chantix.

Or do you own large collections of jewelry and artwork?

One again no. I have absolutely no taste in art and I would rather blow my cash on toys than bling.

Or a methamphetamine factory?

Almost. Gotta get the bugs worked outta my BnH synth and scale up to liter sized runs.

How are you my friend? Feeling better?

Well honestly after quitting smoking I was quite irritable. The chantix helped immensely, and gave me a bit of appetite control. I only stayed on it for 30 days and I was starting to get issues so I went to the shrink trying to get some xanax or other benzodiazapine. I'm the type of person when they get wound up they have a hard time un-winding. If I can nip things in the but with say a .25 or a .5 of zanny I'm cool.

But you know how shrinks are. Damn if they even think there is the possibility that you have ever abused any drug they won't give them to you. Bastards. I guess I just need to go kill someone or drive thru the side of their building.

First round was Zoloft and Buspar. Didn't work. The zoloft made my jaw clamp up along with a bad case of akathesia. I'd lay down to go to bed at night and flop like a fish. My mood improved some though, but I really didn't like it. The buspar didn't work. I need something for when someone pisses in my cheerios that works "right now". All in all I think it threw me into a mixed manic state.

Round #2 consisted of hydroxyine and respiridone. Even at small doses that shit knocked me on my ass... after a few days I could not function, period.

Round #3 which I'm on now is wellbutrin. Not as fun as amphetamines but it definately got me up and moving. Been on it two days now and got more cleaning done than in the last two months. Plus I only ate dinner and managed to skip eating all day without too much discomfort. Oh, yeah, and horny as a damn goat. NIIIICE is all I can say.

Do you breathe better? Cough gone? Excercising now?

Actually one of the reasons I quit was because here I am in my early 30's and was having difficulty maintaining an erection. My blood pressure was getting into borderline hypertension territory, and it seemed as I was short of breath a lot.

Now I can breath a whole hell of a lot better, I don't cough, and my heartburn is gone. My cock works as good as it did in my early 20's. Still not exercising because of crazy med rounds #1 and #2 but if this wellbutrin shit works I might just have to take it up.

Food taste better? Women taste better?

Yeah food tastes much better. And you get your sense of smell back. Ain't got a GF at the moment so no tasting women yet.

May I suggest buying a motorcycle? Anything but a Harley that is.. Hey man, good for you, congratulations!

Check. Three weeks ago when I was going thru my little manic phase. Found a Honda shadow spirit 750 sitting on the side of the road, got a decent deal on it and took it home. Now I get to help its testicles descend after honda de-balled the motor.

Tobacco is a hard one.

Yup its a bitch. Unlike other drugs its very easy to get and be around others that are doing it... that makes it really hard. All it takes is just one cig and your back to square one.

[Edited on 21-11-2008 by evil_lurker]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 25-11-2008 at 23:05

How long does it take to develop a cough from smoking? I've been smoking for about 5 years and I haven't had a cough in over 1.5 years.

Is it something that some get and others don't or is it just too soon?

BTW, the only noticeable negative side affect I've had so far is... well, nothing really. Except for maybe slight yellowing of teeth.

I'm going to try quitting during Christmas break. I'm going to start poking holes in my cigarettes (that's one way ultra-lights are made; if you don't believe me just look, they have holes poked around them; also, they used to make these devices that would poke the holes for you to help you quit smoking; I haven't seen one in years, I guess they just don't want you to quit). Then I'm going to smoke one less each day...

You know what the best way to quit is? Be poor. I got the closest to quitting the three weeks after I lost my job a few years back.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 26-11-2008 at 02:56

Actually MJP - You would find that about a week after you give up smoking, you get a cough for little while. This is because the scillia hairs on the way to your lungs start to grow back and start to clear your lungs out. Quite common when people quit. Only lasts a short time though.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top