Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sandmeyer Reaction
braunc01
Harmless

Mood: Yeh, not bad

[*] posted on 4-8-2008 at 02:23
Sandmeyer Reaction

Currently I am running a Sandmeyer Reaction, which in case you dont know is a method for converting an amino group on an aromatic ring into a different functional group, in my case, I am placing a halogen (Iodide) onto the aromatic ring.

In particular, I have added Aniline in with HCl/H2O, and was supposed to add Sodium Nitrite but accidently made the freshman move of adding sodium nitrate. Can any of you forsee any possible side reaction that could have occurred? After realising my error, I did add the correct sodium nitrite and then added KI and the experiment proceeded as I would have expected (exothermic, black slurry), however I cannot think of any possible other product that I may have to extract out. Can any of you help?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 4-8-2008 at 02:25

The sodium nitrate will not have reacted at all.
Just extract out the iodobenzene, concentrate and distill.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 04:04

Some diluted HNO3 will be formed during reaction between HCl en NaNO3....
This can lead:
-to various oxydation products of the quinone family and polymers of the kind...Did you aniline turn brown-black?
-to some yellow-orange meta nitro anilin
-HCl+HNO3 is a source of Cl-N=O and HNO3 during the oxydation process of aniline is a source of NxOy; so some nitrosation can occure aswel.
-HCl+HNO3 can generate orange tetrachloroparaquinone (grossist name chloranil reminds that it can be made from aniline)

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top