Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ethylenediamine from ClCH2CH2Cl and NaOH?
menchaca
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2003 at 14:27
ethylenediamine from ClCH2CH2Cl and NaOH?

Well that is my question.. it would much easier for me tha using diclhoroethane and NH3 under high pressure. Instead of it how much pressure would be enought?
thankss
menchaca
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2003 at 14:29

sorry i had a mistake i meant from ethyleneglycol and NH4Cl

-----------------------------------

Please use the edit function!

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by vulture]
KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun)
Hazard to Others

Mood: exuviating!

[*] posted on 17-11-2003 at 13:50

you can't make EDA nor DCE with NH4Cl. I'm making an improvised method for EDA but hasn't test it yet: extract ethanolamine from dishwashing liquid add excess conc HCl plus ZnCl<sub>2</sub> and warm for some hours then cool and collect the ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>Cl crystals. if no crystals formed then boil off some of it and try again. add the crystals to an anhydrous solution of NH<sub>3</sub> in MeOH and boil bp of MeOH is of course lower than that of EDA so distillation is a possible way of separation. you just need to work out the needed amounts.
HOCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + 2HCl <u><sup>&nbsp;ZnCl2</sup></u><s>&nbsp;></s> ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + H<sub>2</sub>O
ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> NH<sub>4</sub>Cl + ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub>
ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl
H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + NH<sub>4</sub>Cl

Go To Top