Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Price hike on KCl for water softeners
prole
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 12:35
Price hike on KCl for water softeners

My water softening system uses potassium chloride, and we usually buy 40lb bags for average $9.00 US. In the past few months, the price has increased several times to $18.99, where it sits now. Anybody know why? Only guessing, but maybe the supply is low, or trucking prices have gone up, but NaCl remains in the $6 range. Used to buy three bags, but now only got one and we're gonna make it last. Any insight?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 16:27

If you are in the U.S., it imports about 80% of the potassium salts it consumes, so the decline in the price of the dollar is likely part of that. Increased demand from China, India, and Brazil could be another factor. Energy prices would be the third, transportation is one aspect; most potassium halides as extracted contain significant amounts of sodium and magnesium and require more complex crystallisation and other treatment than does plain old NaCl. Most production of KCl is in relatively northern climes, meaning evaporation requires burning fuel, while a fair amount of salt production still uses solar ponds.

Read here for details:

http://www.ipipotash.org/udocs/Chap%201%20potash%20productio...

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/potash/pota...
prole
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 04:03

Thanks for digging those articles up. It makes sense. In Detroit, MI near my home, there's probably one of the largest NaCl mines in the world and a Morton's plant nearby. I'm guessing they don't get KCl from there in any appreciable quantity. And the Canadian loonie is way up over the USD. Even rappers are now flashing the euro instead of Benjamins. It also doesn't help things any that Michigan's economy is very near rock bottom right now.

Go To Top