Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Home chemist raided in MA, lab seized.
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 02:08

No; by mixing ammonia with household bleach you get chloramines (ultimately NCl3, a dangerously unstable high explosive), and HCl (which would immediately react with the excess NaOH in the household bleach to form NaCl).

[Edited on 1-1-09 by JohnWW]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 05:25

I think Ray B. is still fuming over M.Moore's misuse of his title.

He complained bitterly bout it at the time.

After that a little thing like 2 degrees C probably would not phase him.

Is he even still alive?

I have lost track of him.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 10:57

Yes, he's still alive but he's 88. I just recently bought Fahrenheit 451 but I haven't got around to reading it. I'm in the middle of an obscure book called Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty by Randy Barnett. It's not incredibly enthralling but still interesting so far.

Speaking of Michael Moore; even though I'm not a huge fan of Charlton Heston I still can't believe how stupid, shady and childish Moore acted towards him on Bowling for Columbine. Ugh... That was one of the most biased and sensationalist pieces of crap I've ever seen. Fahrenheit 911 was actually better, IMO. What, you want to ban handgun ammo from K-Mart? Okay, I'll just go to Wal-Mart where it's cheaper, dipshit. And for every 50 rounds I would've bought from K-Mart, I'll buy 100 from Wal-Mart.

These are the same kinds of people that want to ban home chemistry. We must resist them in every way possible.

[Edited on 12-31-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 17:31

I totally forgot that it was Fahrenheit 451. I highly recommend the book as it describes what society has come to; its almost scary to read because of the things that the book speaks about parallel modern society. A professor helps Montag, the fire fighter that turned against the fire department get away. Those with knowledge survive!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 20:14

Let's keep it chemistry related, please. This looks to be veering to wider political topics.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 20-2-2009 at 02:21

Home chemisty as far as i can see is not tolerated in many countries. But after reading the story, i see that in US law enforcements are much more tolerant to people. Here in Russia we have large ammount of banned chemicals, including (!!!): sulphuric acid, HCl, toluene, potassium permanganate, phoshphorous, acetic anhydride and even acetone (!!!). This is very funny, because i can not see for example any danger in acetone, not counting fire hazard. Here in Russia, for example if one of your neighbors will tell police that there is strange chemical smell around your house or somethere, it is very likely that within half of hour swat will be blowing you front door.

Note people in black masks, theese are typical russian swat team, this guys are realy brutal here, in case of any attempt to resist it is likely that you will emidately get shot without any question, in other cases you will be shut down hard (this means nice punches to face, heavy kicks by legs to vital zones, and nasty hits to stoomach by buttstocks until you start bleeding nicely), this happy event is called "mask show" here in Russia. After that you will be placed into custony, all chemicals and equipment are likely to be confiscated, and you will be accused in better case in house drug making, in worst in terrorism and production of explosive devices. Law system is extremely unfriendly, and YOU will need good evedences to reability yourself, or you will be punished even if you are inocent (you will be subject for rising cop solve case statistics, or cops will frame you as dangerous terrorist and will get rewarded for good work). Only countermeasures are staying quet and hidden as much as possible, or having good ammount of money for a bribe. If somebody interested i can translate some real stories from Russian forums about chemists shut down.

Formula409
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2009 at 02:33

Engager, please translate these stories, we would all be delighted to hear them. They might require their own thread, however.

Formula409.

[Edited on 20-2-2009 by Formula409]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 20-2-2009 at 02:34

Apparently, chromium and len1's stories of good chemical availability during the Soviet period are now indeed a thing of the past. :(

If you don't mind, please post some stories (but maybe start a new topic so as not to derail this thread).

sparky (~_~)

P.S. @Formula 409: maybe "delighted" would not be a very appropriate word to use... :)

[Edited on 20-2-2009 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 27-7-2012 at 08:19

Quote: Originally posted by chemoleo  
Quote:
There are regulations about how much you’re supposed to have, how it’s detained, how it’s disposed of.”

Mr. Deeb’s home lab likely violated the regulations of many state and local departments, although officials have not yet announced any penalties.

Sadly that's why he won't have a case.
He will win. even IF a judge issued a search warrant, it must have been fairly narrow in scope. If they took everything, regardless of the nature of some of the things they took (which happened in this case to be benign), that would be thrown out, and nice big juicy law suit. It's nice having a family of lawyers.

Xenon1898
Harmless

Mood: Researching

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 20:33
Victor Deeb

Has anyone heard what happended to Victor Deeb since his raid? I can't find any news after his initial raiding of his home lab several years ago. If he sued and won it seems like it would have made the news by now.

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?”

-Albert Einstein
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top