Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trapping NH3
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 07:00
Trapping NH3

I am planning a preparation of sym-diphenylurea from aniline and urea. Everything is straightforward but the reaction generates a lot of ammonia and I want to scrub this rather than condensing it or just letting it escape.

Bubbling into water is out because of the ammonia-fountain effect (suckback.) Will running a tube to just above a stirred level of water absorb it well enough?

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 09:03

How about suspending a funnel (just touching the surface of the liquid) over dilute HCl? If there is suck-back, the level rises in the funnel, goes down in the beaker and breaks the connection. There will be (if careful) no suck-back into your system and very little, if any entrainement of air.

Ammonia is soluble enough to dissolve quickly at the gas-liquid interface and the funnel contains any that would otherwise escape.

This method also works well for scrubbing HCl/SO2 while preparing acyl chlorides from SOCl2.

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 16-8-2008 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 09:04

Or one could pressurize the entire system with N2 or install some inline check valves.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-8-2008 at 09:25

Thanks.

The whole thing is a pretty simple setup. An air condenser is used for reflux as the excess aniline is acting as solvent. That's like 180 C so too hot for water cooling.

When the stirred melt no longer gives off NH3 the reaction is done (5 hours) and the melt is poured into a large amount of water, sym-diphenylurea ppts and any phenylurea stays in soln. Recrystallize in ethanol. I have used a smilar procedure in the past to prepare phthalimide from urea and phthalic anhydride. It's a piece of cake.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 02:10

a loosely packed but longish (~500mm) coiled length of rubber/pvc/silicon hose, id say 1/2' filled with a solid granular acid like NaHSO4 or citric acid works well provided theres little moisture in your NH3 stream, otherwise it will clog, also if the reaction produces most of the NH3 in a burst then this is also not practical as you will generate back-pressure.
However if its simply a steady consistent dry stream this works great and you have no worries about suck-back. Afterwards just flush water down the hose and dispose of appropriately.
I find HCl(aq) traps annoying as besides the suckback issue, HCl gas can be drawn back into your reaction. If you want a liquid trap the two previous mentioned acids in solution work great although don't have the capacity or adsorption that a 30% HCl solution would.
In respect to the inverted funnel technique, use a straight walled funnel (ie a buchner or a fritted sans frit, it allows much greater gas absorption capacity (if you match your beaker to your funnel then the gap is quite small and the gaseous path length long) whilst also providing greater protection from suckback, they also sit better i find. Also clamp the funnel otherwise it will bob up and down and be annoying and less effective

Wow i just wrote an essay for something that's already been answered, oops!!

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 09:28

Ammonia dissolves in water without any problem and endothermicaly. So just leading the tube above the water layer in a flask with stirred water is more than enough. No need to bubble trough the liquid. Once the air is purged out from the flask by the incoming NH3, the atmosphere above the water has 1 atm partial pressure of ammonia which means the absorption will be very rapid until the concentration remains bellow ~10% (saturated NH3 at RT is about 25%). So just calculate the amount of water necessary to catch all the theoretically formed NH3 to keep the final concentration in such a lower range.
Of just lead the tube in the fume hood exhaust, nobody will complain about little ammonia smell.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 14:39

Isn't there some thing you could do with the stream of (apparently) anhydrous NH3? 2 birds with one stone...

Ever wanted to try a triacetoneamine preparation? Gas the NH3 in cold acetone with some ammonium salt, might consider using a scrubber on the exit for unabsorbed NH3 (dilute HCl works very well IME), then leave it to stir a bit and distill your TAA.
An oxydation away from 4-oxo-TEMPO catalyst, considering the price it is sold, I consider it as a good aquisition.

Or in the case were you really don't feel ike putting much effort in it, you could use twoscrubbers, on of dH2O or dilute ammonia, and a second one of dilute HCL, toobtain conc. NH3 effortless, always handy. The second scrubber would insure no escaping gas when the first solution is nearly saturated.

Think process chemsitry, use eevrything, even the wastes :)

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 05:52

Sauron, could you not liquify the ammonia and bottle it as you are doing with your sulphur dioxide. Surely be useful to have a lecture bottle of ammonia, get liquid ammonia from it etc?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tapira1
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 08:31
ammonia trap

You may use a H2SO4 trap and a safety (empty vessel) trap combined with N2 purge; alternatively you may use the same setup with water and get concentrated ammonia as a byproduct. For condensing the ammonia you will need at least -33ºC (dry ice-solvent condenser)
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 06:27

Well Sauron has started a thread on liquifying SO2 and storing the liquid gas, he may well use dry ice for that, If he does he could stretch to liquifying this as liquid ammonia on tap could be very handy...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tapira1
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 08:18
trapping ammonia

Ammonia gas can be trapped as a liquid with a Dry-ice acetone or liquid Nitrogen-EtOAc bath (boiling point is -33ºC). This is what is usually done when running Birch reactions.

[Edited on 7-9-2008 by tapira1]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 15:01

I've never heard of using a LN2-EtOAc bath for anything. What are the advantages of this? Does it not freeze? Will LN2 even dissolve in EtOAc or vice versa? What is the BP of the solution/mixture? Melting point?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 16:16

1)
Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

The whole thing is a pretty simple setup. An air condenser is used for reflux as the excess aniline is acting as solvent. That's like 180 C so too hot for water cooling.

I routinely use simple water cooled Liebig condensor for fatty acid distillation - still head temperatures upto 250 Deg C.
2)
Quote:

Bubbling into water is out because of the ammonia-fountain effect (suckback.)

Refer to good old Vogel. It has details of an excellent scrubber type water trap to avoid suck-backs.

gsd
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-9-2008 at 03:51

I've heard of acetone-LN supposedly the acetone freezes then dissolves. I was dubious thinking that LOx may build up as it evaporates off causing an explosion, but I believe the N2 layer blankets from the air. Supposedly it drops the temperature to below LN temperatures but I don't have any info on the temperatures you can reach.

Go To Top