Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: DIY Atom Smasher
atomicproject
Harmless

Mood: Thermonuclear

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 17:05

Here is another picture.

First of all, I have really no idea how much the thing weighs. I used a forklift to load and unload it from my truck. Currently I have attached it to a furniture dolly for easy mobility.

The pole faces are about 4.2 inches in diameter. 5 to 7 inches would have been ideal !

My glass chamber(as seen in the photo) is actually two very heavy borosilicate ash trays. The inner diameter is 4.5 inches and the outer diameter is 5.75. The dees will be 4" in diameter(same as the pole faces) which will leave enough wiggle room for peripherial hardware. Using a 6 inch diamond lapidary flat lap, I will hone off about .35 inches off of each tray to ensure a good flat sealing surface.

Dont ask about the RF system as I have yet to even start on that. Luckily, being a long time HAM operator has given me quite a junk pile to choose a driver from.

The MM link below is a good one for motivational factors. They too used an all glass chamber.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/06/11/boys-build-a-cyclo...

This next one I JUST found. I wish them all the best !

http://thecyclotronkids.com/

Mark R

CycloChamber.jpg - 77kB
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 20:57

Nice power pole transformer!! :) I did some some step-up experiments with those... heh.

[Edited on 31-8-2008 by Arrhenius]
atomicproject
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 21:54

Check out this magnet...AND THE PRICE !! If I lived within three to four states of this jewell I would surely make the drive. Too bad I live in California.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIAN-V7200-9-MAGNET-ASSEMBLY-W-E-7600-...

Mark R
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 16:57

I saw that magnet. it's a beauty. I believe it weighs 1800 lbs so it would probably cost me $1300.00 to have it shipped to minnesota. I unfortionately don't have that kind of money at my disposal right now. I do plan on buying a magnet about that size in the future. Right now I'm just focussing on getting my unit up and running and when I have some extra cash then I will buy a larger magnet and use my current one to analyze the ion beam.

BTW I'm sure you know this but because your using glass you will have much more radation to worry about with your device. I know that United Nuclear sells radiation sheilding.
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicproject
Check out this magnet...AND THE PRICE !! If I lived within three to four states of this jewell I would surely make the drive. Too bad I live in California.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIAN-V7200-9-MAGNET-ASSEMBLY-W-E-7600-...

Mark R
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 12:30

@atomicproject - what are you hoping to achieve with your amazing piece of kit?
just the thought of having my own mini LHC in my house makes me laugh :P
great idea!
atomicproject
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 17:06

Hi Picric-A,

Probably experiment with it for a year or two and then cannibalize it for another project I have yet to think of.

Mark R
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2009 at 19:44

I Just got a 1,000 lb electromagnet but the coils were badly damaged. The magnet has 8in pole faces.

IM001818.JPG - 59kB
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2009 at 19:45

Here's another pic. The red table in the background will be holding this magnet. i bought 8in castors rated at 1,000 lbs to put on the table.

IM001816.JPG - 68kB

[Edited on 19-8-2009 by Trifluoroacetic]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 07:23

There are 3 possible uses for that sort of thing: (1) for determination of the magnetic moments of paramagnetic materials and compounds (and hence the number of unpaired electrons per molecule); or, using appropriate high-frequency induced magnetic fields, (2) NMR spectroscopy or (3) ESR spectroscopy. What exactly are you going to use it for?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 08:04

Make that 4 possible uses:

General Recommendations for Design of Small Cyclotrons, UCRL-476, Louis Wouters, 1949.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA297376&Locati...
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 16:41

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
General Recommendations for Design of Small Cyclotrons, UCRL-476, Louis Wouters, 1949.
Yay!
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2009 at 16:47

I plan on using it for experimenting with the things you mentioned; I might also make a mass spectrograph with it. but before I do any of those things I will use it as my main cyclotron magnet until I decide to decomission it and use the manet for other things.

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
There are 3 possible uses for that sort of thing: (1) for determination of the magnetic moments of paramagnetic materials and compounds (and hence the number of unpaired electrons per molecule); or, using appropriate high-frequency induced magnetic fields, (2) NMR spectroscopy or (3) ESR spectroscopy. What exactly are you going to use it for?
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2009 at 15:11

The repaired magnet

magnet.jpg - 49kB
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 25-8-2009 at 15:29

Looks good. So accelerate some deuterons already! Hope you have a neutron detector.
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2009 at 18:40

I plan on accelerating protons, deuterons, and alphas to start with. I don't have a neutron detector but I'm sure I can get a hold of one over at SCSU from a nuclear chemmist/RSO that I know.
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 16:08

I just put the magnet on the table. Now it's just a matter of putting the parts together:D:D:D:):):):):):)

GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpeg - 31kB
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 17:46

That's starting to look fairly dangerous. Do you have the chamber, pumps, and RF oscillator already?

I suppose you've seen the cyclotron that students at Houghton College are building?

http://www.houghton.edu/academics/programs/physics/Student%2...

And of course the Rutgers cyclotron:

http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/cyclotron/

Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 19:41

Yes the pumps are ready for installation, as well as the vacuum chamber and vacuum lines. All of the controls are mounted on a 53in tall 19in wide rack. The rf power supply is ready but it only puts out 200 watts. I plan on upgrading it with a higher powered unit in the future.
The rf match still needs to be made. I also need to by some high voltage rf connectors and cable.
I should have most of the vacuum system installed by the end of tuesday.:):D
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 19:45

yes I have seen the Houghton college cyclotron. The funny thing is that my cyclotron has larger pole faces and therefore should be a bit more powerful.
Rutgers does have a nice mini cyclotron. I wish I could get a magnet that big. I will compensate with a smaller core by pushing it close to it's saturation point and by pumping in high rf power.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 07:21

Quote: Originally posted by Trifluoroacetic  
Yes the pumps are ready for installation, as well as the vacuum chamber and vacuum lines. All of the controls are mounted on a 53in tall 19in wide rack. The rf power supply is ready but it only puts out 200 watts.

Impressive! Are you using an exposed hot filament ion source or a capillary arc? I presume you are looking to detect an internal beam before trying to deflect it out of the magnetic field?

If you haven't tested the vacuum system yet, you might want to do so before you mount it in the magnet. It will be more accessible for leak hunting. Are your pumps diffusion or turbo-vac? As someone pointed out earlier, you may need to outgas the tank with a heavy glow discharge before you put any RF on it.

Any thoughts on why the Houghton rig is producing such a pitiful "beam"?

[Edited on 30-8-2009 by entropy51]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 08:11

Yes the pumps are ready for installation, as well as the vacuum chamber and vacuum lines. (cut)
On another thread, I posted about the design of vacuum (negative-pressure) vessels:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12686

[Edited on 30-8-09 by JohnWW]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
On another thread, I posted about the design of vacuum (negative-pressure) vessels:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12686

So you did! If ever I feel the pressing need to use the subroutine I have for evaluating elliptic integrals I will consult it too. Thanks.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 10:50

Yep, the taste of those $ signs still lingers. . .?

[Edited on 30-8-2009 by hissingnoise]
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 14:57

I will be using a hot filament for the ion source for preliminary testing, tweaking and optimizing the machine. I would like to upgrade the ion source in the future to an ECR source if I can get a research grant.
At the moment the unit has a target inside the chamber that is inside a faraday shield.
This will be used to help tweek the unit and optimize it for the strongest beam output possible. I am planning on building a large 12 in diameter chamber for holding more advanced sensors, light pipes, photo-detectors, and an extraction port.

I will be using a diffusion pump and mechanical roughing pump.

I'm not sure why the houghton cyclotron is working so badly. I'll have to do some more reading on it.
Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Yes the pumps are ready for installation, as well as the vacuum chamber and vacuum lines. All of the controls are mounted on a 53in tall 19in wide rack. The rf power supply is ready but it only puts out 200 watts.

Impressive! Are you using an exposed hot filament ion source or a capillary arc? I presume you are looking to detect an internal beam before trying to deflect it out of the magnetic field?

If you haven't tested the vacuum system yet, you might want to do so before you mount it in the magnet. It will be more accessible for leak hunting. Are your pumps diffusion or turbo-vac? As someone pointed out earlier, you may need to outgas the tank with a heavy glow discharge before you put any RF on it.

Any thoughts on why the Houghton rig is producing such a pitiful "beam"?

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 15:23

If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to see if the college has this paper:

A Capillary Ion Source for the Cyclotron, M.S.Livingston, M.G. Holloway, and C.P.
Baker, Rev. Sci. Inst. 10, 63 (1939)
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top