Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: DIY Atom Smasher
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 23:20

I for one can not wait until you fire this bad boy up. Its always been a pipe dream of mine to make one, if nothing else a beta tron so its awesome to see someone putting it into practice.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Trifluoroacetic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 9-8-2011 at 19:04

Yes it will be great when we can finally power this unit up. Of course getting it to work will be quite the task. I doubt it will run right or even produce a proton beam on the first try.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 14:14

Wow, just wow. Turning it on willl be nice indeed but I love reading about your progress so far. The world needs more people that actually DO something like this rather than dream about it (like most of us including me).

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-11-2011 at 15:05

Actually ran into the fusors a while back and thought that was plenty mad enough (accessing the deuterium is no small challenge - doable if one is tinkering with my other project, but not cheap), then I saw the Boys Build a Cyclotron article and thought hmmm... (Check out the size of the Dry Cell Batteries)

Then I had a wee look around the net and found the paper by Loius Wouters (1949) 'General Recommendations for Design of Small Cyclotrons' (attached), which would appear to be the basis of the one built by the students.

I then thought, as I'm prone to do (scary when that shit happens) how much easier it would be to source hydrogen and lithium to fuck around with fusion at home:D But there would have to be some changes of course, then I found another paper, Leslie Dewan (2007) 'Design and Construction of a Cyclotron Capable of Accelerating Protons to 2MeV' (Thesis - attached).

Even better would be if permanent magnets could be, I mean a 1.3-1.4T central area (about 20x100mm air gap) is feasible with 1" magnets and iron yokes, but to get above that would take some thought.

What would be interesting is if pre-ionized protons could be delivered - as plasma - to the central area, that would save an awful lot of fucking around would it not? Capillary plasma in a tube is not exactly unknown

Attachment: Wouters.General.Recommendations.for.Design.of.Small.Cyclotrons.pdf (639kB)
This file has been downloaded 721 times

Attachment: Dewan.Design.and.Construction.of.a.Cyclotron.Capable.of.Accelerating.Protons.to.2MeV.pdf (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 815 times

Attachment: King.A.Preliminary.Design.for.a.Small.Permanent.Magnet.Cyclotron.pdf (544kB)
This file has been downloaded 829 times

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 15:39

Ok, looking at the linear accelerators and the use of more and more stages in order to double the speed through each (within limits). What would happen if, the modified Double-D configuration were used, but instead of 1 180' electrode and one strip electrode per pair, there was a 90' electrode and a strip electrode per pair and 4 pairs per cyclotron? the circular motion is imposed by the magnetic field and the effects of the imposing of a charge, attraction to the opposing pole and stripping of the charge, repulsion from the like pole, no?

I'm just getting the thought out while it is bouncing about in my head, if reusing the same pair of electrodes multiple times utilizing magnetic fields is effective, reusing 4 pairs of electrodes through the same principle(s) "might" be better, depending upon the losses imposed.

Also, instead of trying to direct the neutrons out onto a target and then try and convert them in order to detect them, why not place a lithium tetraborate glass window in the way of the beam? It would convert neutrons to gasses, which would presumably stay within the unit or be able to be recycled, and a/b/g radiation which can be both shielded and detected.

[Edited on 5-11-2011 by aliced25]

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 16:54
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top