Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Polycone cap chemical compatibility
sbreheny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 19:01
Polycone cap chemical compatibility

Hi all,

I've had a handful of chemicals in storage which have degraded their polycone caps over the course of about 1 year. One was trimethylchlorosilane and another was cyclopentanone. The failure mode seems to be diffusing through or around the PE cone and then rapidly attacking the phenolic plastic. In the case of the TMCS, some of the degraded phenolic actually made its way around the cone somehow and fell into the liquid, reacting with it and turning it a light brown.

These two were purchased on eBay from Consolidated Chemical Supply and were in their original glass containers/original caps.

I've looked around for a chemical compatibility chart for the polycone caps but surprisingly I can't find one. I guess I can just look for HDPE and phenolic charts? One problem there is that I also need to know whether the said chemical will permeate HDPE significantly, not just whether it will attack it.

Any ideas or suggestions? So far, I replaced the TMCS cap with one of those PTFE lined melamine caps.

As an aside/warning to newbies, do not assume that eBay sellers know what appropriate packaging is. I bought chlorobenzene from one fairly big eBay chemical supplier and when it arrived it had dissolved a good bit of its cap, which was just a foam-lined child safety cap.

Sean
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 20:08

Plastic like HDPE is not ideal for harsh organics. And cheap plastic caps and liners are a pain, Aldrich used to use some of those (cone type liner), but has mostly moved away from them. I would suggest just transferring the materials in poor containers to a glass bottle with a PTFE lined cap, like the Qorpak ones. I have to do that sometimes with commercial chemicals from some vendors, or in things shipping in glass ampules.

I still have a few smaller Qorpak bottles for sale, and I am willing to sell small numbers of them for that purpose. I have a fair number of new 60 ml amber ones with PTFE lined green caps ($2 ea or 3 for $5, or less for more than 10), then I also have some 120 ml ones, new in clear ($2 ea), new amber with a plastic coating ($3 ea, ideal for bromine, TFA, and other hazardous acids), and used once but clean amber ones for $2 ea. I did a group buy for a few people a few years ago and ended up with some left. For larger amounts I have a few 100 and 1000 ml media bottles left with white PTFE lined caps, as well as a few other random bottles.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 04:17

Quote: Originally posted by sbreheny  

As an aside/warning to newbies, do not assume that eBay sellers know what appropriate packaging is.

Similarly, do not assume that a vessel suitable for shipment is suitable for long term storage.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 01:27

"Polycone" caps are polypropylene, that's the compatibility tables you need to look at.

Go To Top