Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Battery Acid Boil.
kevin.07
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 16:46
Battery Acid Boil.

A friend recently boiled some battery acid sold as 'battery liquid' in an attempt to concentrate it . It was reduced to approximately 1/3 its original volume because it was assumed to be 33% .It started badly smoking at this point anyway.
This coffee plunger of concentrate was not needed so it was stored open and days later a large number of crystals were noticed at bottom . What are these ? H2SO4 solid? Is it possible to have super saturated solution ? Or is it some baddy precipitated out?
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2008 at 20:38

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2SO4

Read about its chemical and physical properties, do you think it could precipitate out of a water solution?

Also, If you REALLY want help, perhaps you could list the color of the solution, the color of the crystals, the structure, and what it was boiled in?

33% by weight or volume? that I bet would be important!
How hot would you say you got it?
Again, Look at Sulfuric acids physical and chemical properties.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 29-8-2008 at 11:21

did your friend take it form a battery? I am guessing that it was clear dil. so it would be white crystals? am i right?
It could be varius sulphates, depending on the grade of the H2SO4
kevin.07
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 18:38

Ok. The acid came as "battery liquid ,Wun Taix chemistry company brand from local auto shop to top up old/ dead batteries.
It was heated in coffee plunger (i doubt boro glass) a.k.a. beaker on hotplate . The temperature was never measured but boiling was observed. The solution was clear and colourless but after boiling appears clear and slightly pink. The crystals are colourless , long and thin , forming several sheets.
I have no idea of starting concentration ,only read battery acid is 33%,an assumption.
Yeah h2so4 solid is a stupid guess I suppose seeing as though it is a liquid.
My friends big concern is this mystery acid was used as reagent in mercuric chloride and now wonders what was actually produced.
kevin.07
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 18:57

I just checked wun taix chem website . They had two battery acid products, one was 'traditional type electrolyte' and the one my friend has is 'battery liquid + strongly powerful promoter ' . tHIS promoter had no other references but does sound sussworthy. Can'tfind msds.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 30-8-2008 at 19:18

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin.07
Ok. The acid came as "battery liquid ,Wun Taix chemistry company brand from local auto shop to top up old/ dead batteries.
It was heated in coffee plunger (i doubt boro glass) a.k.a. beaker on hotplate . The temperature was never measured but boiling was observed. The solution was clear and colourless but after boiling appears clear and slightly pink. The crystals are colourless , long and thin , forming several sheets.
I have no idea of starting concentration ,only read battery acid is 33%,an assumption.
Yeah h2so4 solid is a stupid guess I suppose seeing as though it is a liquid.
My friends big concern is this mystery acid was used as reagent in mercuric chloride and now wonders what was actually produced.

I would guess that the crystals are sodium sulphate or bisulphate.
Filter them off, recrystallise from water and take a melting point.
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 06:22

the crystals are probably EDTA , and other nastyies.
solubility in 36.5% H2SO4 is 3.4g/100mL

EDTA in the acid at manufacture could vary between 0 and 20 grams/liter.
Have you weighed the crystals yet?

Go To Top