Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lot of Chemglass flasks - anyone interested in any of these?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 05:06
Lot of Chemglass flasks - anyone interested in any of these?

I'm considering a couple items in this photo, it comes as a lot and I'm waiting to find out the price and if they will sell items individually. I don't know the size of the items, but I think I've made out that the erlenmeyer flask in the background is a 2L (graduations look like 1000ml, 1400ml, 1600 & 1800ml) - I'm guessing they don't make 1800ml flasks..

IDK what the neck sizes are for these I'm guessing 24/40 for the most part, some may have a 19/?? as a side arm. These were from an American company so they probably use American standards. I'm going to try to get more info and better pics.

All of these are Chemglass brand and I suspect they are in very good condition. Everything I've gotten from this place has been almost perfectly new, very little to no signs of use
1 3L 3 neck
2 3-4L sep funnel (glass or PTFE valve missing..)
3 2-3L 3 neck w/ glass bath enclosure
4 3L 3 neck
5 2L erlenmeyer (large opening - probably 2")
6 2L probably 3 neck
7 2L 3 neck
8 5L 3 neck w/ glass bath enclosure

I wanted to know if there is any interest in any of these. I'm guessing the prices are pretty good and I can either have then shipped directly from the seller (via UPS store) or I can ship them once I receive them.

IDK if I can use the PTFE valve from my 1 or 2L sep funnel in that larger one. I also have a glass valve from an ACE brand sep funnel.

chemglass items.jpg - 61kB

[Edited on 12-13-2018 by RogueRose]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 13:39

I am interested in the 3L flasks, maybe, if they are 24/40.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 13:39

If anyone needs stopcocks, I have a dozen or more spare ones from broken glassware in most sizes (#1 and #2, 2 or 4 mm) and glass or PTFE. It's not worth moving them between pieces. I normally sell them for $2 each, other than the super large ones (#6), high vacuum types, or three ways ones, which there are more varieties of. I have some of those, but they are much harder to match.

Also, in general, if the stopcock joint is clear and transparent looking, then is is likely made for a PTFE stopcock. if it translucent, and looked ground or etched inside, like a 24/40 joint, then it is most likely made for a glass stopcock, which is a different taper and shape than a PTFE one. There are a very few excepts for the above rule, mostly much older Kontes and Ace stopcocks, where were a custom item. But I have found that items sold without stopcocks often tend to be the ones that don't use standard ones, as any surplus glassware place should have some extra ones around. All Chemglass stopcocks I have ever seen are standard, so that will help in this case, as they did not make odd sizes.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 14-12-2018 at 11:55

How much would the 5L flask be?

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2018 at 07:18

if not for sick dogs and broken down vehicles I'd have made more then a few orders!

Still waiting for the cash to just order more ampules (That's you bob! I haven't forgotten or lost interest!!)
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2018 at 08:52

how much for the lot?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2018 at 00:16

I got a reply from the seller but it was missing 3 of the pictured flasks and it had 2 other items that weren't pictured, so IDK what is going on and he is out till monday.

Just out of curiosity what would the jacketed flasks be used for? IDK what kind of fluids would be used, coolants or something to keep it warm?

There are 2 lots, first 3 pics are standard beakers and flasks. I listed the quantity above each pic. Many of the 3 necks have "morton baffles/indents" which supposedly makes agitation/stirring/mixing much more efficient.

Lot 1
Qty - 6
600ml Kimax - KG33 beaker.jpg - 48kB

Qty - 6 - heavy wall
1L heavy wall erlenmeyer flask.jpg - 38kB

Qty - 4 - heavy wall
2L pyrex heavy wall erlenmeyer.jpg - 39kB

Lot 2 - 1 of each item - there looks to be 2 2L 3neck flasks - non-jacketed. All items are heavy wall flasks except for addition funnel type items
500ml heavy wall single neck RBF.jpg - 42kB 2L single neck.jpg - 45kB

2L heavy wall 3 neck jacketed flask.jpg - 54kB 3L heavy wall 3 neck jacketed flask 2.jpg - 56kB

5L heavy wall 3 neck round bottom flask.jpg - 69kB

addition funnel 1.jpg - 25kB addition funnel 2.jpg - 22kB

addition funnel 3.jpg - 48kB 2L heavy wall wide mouth erlenmeyer flask.jpg - 44kB

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2018 at 19:17

The jacketted flasks are meant to be used with a water bath/chiller unit (or steam if heating). They are used to test chemistry for pilot plant work, as that is all fixed reactor as well. It's also nice for when you need to heat or cool a flask for a long time, as trying to keep a flask cooled with ice overnight is tough. They are quite fragile, so they need to be very carefully wrapped when shipping or even in storage, I have broken a few before. They also normally cost a lot new. If you don't win this lot, I have some of those items as well. But I have never seen a 3L sep funnel before, only 2 and 4 L .

Go To Top