Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: PTFE or Glass Stopcocked titration burette?
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 11:32
PTFE or Glass Stopcocked titration burette?

Gents,

I want to buy 1 (one!) titration burette. I know someday I'll want to noodle around with nitric acid. Is the PTFE stopcock okay, or do I need the all glass kind?

I've heard the all glass kind tend to freeze up and have other problems.
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 11:47

Hi!

Maybe you'll find useful to review the specifications from the manufacturer. However, nitric acid is sold in glass bottles (so make your conclusion) and how agressive a reagent can be depends on concentration.
Barium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 11:57

PTFE is ok for nitric acid.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 12:04

Yep PTFE is ok with with almost everything, but of course long storage in contact with corrosives will cause it to deterioate (sp?) keep PTFE away form strong hot alkalis and it will be fine.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 12:14

Take your PTFE stopcock out of the socket for storing or loosen it as an overtightened PTFE stopcock can expand and break the glass socket. This is because the teflon and glass have different thermal expansions. Otherwise, no issues with the PTFE its great, and will be fine with the HNO3.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 12:24

On the question of burettes, what are peoples oppinions on the ones manufactured from amber glass? If you could have just one burette, would it be amber or normal, and what volume would you choose? Reasons?
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 13:00

Many amber burettes started out as clear ones, just stained and finished in the standard process for clear.
Also are you wanting a Class A, or Class B grade one?
You are also forgetting about the screw type stopcocks, they are very smooth working.
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 13:03

Undead:

As to "A" or "B", I want the one I will cry over least when an absent minded adolescent knocks it over with his elbow onto a concrete floor.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 13:41

Amber burettes are mostly used for certain photo-sensitive reagents (AgNO3), etc and are not really common, in my experience.. You would better be off with a colorless one, easier reading, and you can easily see how clean it is.
25mL is a very well suited size IMO, nice for 50-100mL erlens etc
10mL could be suitable too, but better use only half or 1/4 the capacity, than to fill the burette during a titration. Depends on the precision you are looking for I guess.

Microburettes are needed only in certain specialized titrations, and most of the time their precision is mucher higher than most needs. Much less practical, and not worth the money to have one at home IMO. You can just use your 25mL burette with more dilute solutions...

I have always seen PTFE stopcocks on burettes, and never encountered any problems on that side. I suppose glass stopcocks would require grease, which might be more problematic with things like HNO3 than PTFE.

BTW, you don't plan on doing titrations with conc. HNO3 do you? That would give very imprecise results....

[Edited on 19-9-2008 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 18:40

Micro-Burettes, like 1ml, 2ml, 5ml. are very thin.

The other day, I was looking over a 1ml burette sample that we got in, and it was knocked over on the table and broke. :(
Lesson: Leave them in the box or storage drawer until use.
Was able to save the stopcock and the funnel half.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 19:26

I would recommend PTFE, but not a rotoflo type valve, just a standard PTFE stopcock--you can't give quick half-drops with the latter. I often find that 50 mL is too large for my needs, and plan to get a 25 mL, but I mostly use microscale techniques and kit. Class A is nice, but Class B is cheaper and fine for most amateur use.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 06:53

What is class A and class B? The quality of the glass? A surface treatment?

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 11:23

Isn't it something to do with the precision/accuracy of the markings?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 13:49

I'm sure the Class rating is to do with the accuracy. Not sure but A tends to say +/- so many mL @ a cartain temperature whereas I think Class B may just say +/- and a larger degree of inaccuracy. But either way, Class B is suitable for most work, especially crude or amature work. Class A is sort of for the more analytical precission, but it's not worth it if the reagents are also not highly pure and highly accurate, and if the chemist uis not skilled enough, or else the errors will make it more justifiable to use Class B...

The Spring type mentioned above somewhere... these are nice and very smooth and very reliable, I have a couple of such burettes.

25mL is ideal! or even a 10mL can be handy. I have a few micro ones... but these are generally quite useless!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 17:17

If you're really interested in the subject, pick up a good analytical chemistry book, but class B glassware generally has tolerances twice as large as those of class A. I'm always a little bit disappointed that there aren't many people into analytical chemistry on this forum--granted it's not the easiest for the home lab amateur.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 17:40

Let's say that analytical chemistry is more of a "tool" for many, and not as passioanting as organic chemisty, or preparative inorganic chemistry.
But it is a very broad aspect of chemistry, with lots of interesting reactions and and sometimes complex relationships.

Unfortunaly, a large amount of titrations requires precise and/or expensive equipements (electrodes, pH meters, conducivity cell, etc), very pur reagents and specific training/skills, that only few people here can afford/have. Precise titrations are needed in professional settings, but rarely for amateurs. But it is true analytical chemistry can be used is many "improvised" ways at home to determine yields, quality of reagents, etc

EDIT: I've done a fair share of analytical chemistry in school and in a QC lab, but never heard of class A et class B burettes... Maybe it's simply a different term in europe, or it's just that the places I worked in only ha dthe one type (0.025mL gradautions generally).

[Edited on 21-9-2008 by Klute]

-Alice Parr
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 18:04

Class A is generally tested as to the accuracy and that calibration is marked on the burette or flask; they may be certified as to their accuracy. Some manufactures give the units serial numbers and retain the calibration information. Class B is of wider tolerance and are "generic", no certification, individual calibration indications, or tracking; it's also much more affordable while class A would be used for applications linked to official analytical requirements.

The terminology is fairly widely used, see the following for an example.
http://www.hecht-assistent.de/e_glass_instruments/automatic_...
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 02:01

Also please note, not all class A/B items are the same.
For North America you have ASTM for the references. For the rest of the world, they use DIN.
ASTM Class is is higher tolerance then DIN Class A.
Example 100ml Volumetric Flask. for ASTM it is 0.08ml for DIN it is 0.1
So for the most part I count DIN Class A glass as Class B ASTM.

[Edited on 21-9-2008 by undead_alchemist]
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 03:55

Are you saying your burettes are better than ours? :mad: :D Let's have a titration competition :P ;)

-Alice Parr
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 02:42

I have seen cheap acrylic burettes with ptfe stopcocks. This is a viable option for colleges etc, perhaps useful for amatures where high precission is not always neccessary or affordable.

jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 04:50

Thanks for the answers gents. I'll be doing, I suppose, a lot of analytical chemistry. This isn't really a hobby for me, at least that's what I tell the wife and I'm sticking to it! This is all an adjunct of homeschooling. I expect analytical to be a big part of it because I want them to do a lot of "pour boiling through dirt...now, tell me what's dissolved in the water", etc.

I may be wrong, but it strikes me that analytical chemistry is a litmus test (har har har!!) for whether you really understand chemistry.

As with many fields, one has to have some expertise, sometimes great expertise, to do the modern work. But very few modern professional settings require the depth and breadth of knowledge one has to have to replicate, for example, the technologies between 1750 and 1940 starting with the same raw materials.

Analytical chemistry smells to me much like engine building--and many supposedly "good" engineers have foundered on the rock of trying to make "hobby" engines in their home garage.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 09:32

The major problem for analytical chemistry at home is getting chemicals that are sufficently pure to act as a primary standard and then weighing them out accurately enough.
Making ferric alum etc at home is quite easy as a balance that is accurate to 0.1g and adequate for preparative chemistry on say a 10g scale is easily and cheaply obtained.
A balance that is adequate for analytical chemistry is a lot harder to obtain and maintain.
Also there is a lot of work involved in preparing and maintaining the primary and secondary standards.
I once worked in a place that trained pharmacists and a lot of the old British Pharmacopeia stuff was worked through to give the students experience and an insight into chemistry.
A lot of technician time was spent making and standardising solutions.
Gravimetric analysis for say soluble sulphate in soil by extracting with water, acidifying and then precipitating the sulphate as barium sulphate is time consuming and more than a little tedious.
I would do the work if someone paid me but I can't see me filling up a Saturday afternoon with this sort of stuff.
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 13:57

Squirrel---you make it sound so appetizing! :D
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 17:46

You can get hold of vials that when added to a certain amount of deionised water in a volumetric flask will produce a solution of say 0.1M hydrochloric acid.
That is a cheap way in to accurate volumetric work on a limited scale.
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2008 at 04:48

Sqirrel: where do you order those?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top