Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 6-Bromo-1-hexanol synthesis
romanceliu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 20:23
6-Bromo-1-hexanol synthesis

now i synthesis for 6-Bromo-1-hexanol from 1,6-Hexanediol .
the mixture 1,6-Hexanediol and 48%Hydrobromic acid dissolved in the Toluene . then raised to refulx ,reaction time is about 24 hours . the remove by vacume , the product 6-Bromo-1-hexanol get by high vacume and high temperature.
but the yeild is low , about 45%. the purity is 97% and impurity is 2%. when i recycle , i find a lot of poly in the bottle ,

can u gei me some advices , what do u do when i want to improve yeild and purity ?
the reaction time is long . what cut time ?
when i want to scan up , i find a lot of poly in the reactor ,
can you gei me some advice ?
thanks ,
romanceliu

[Edited on 23-9-2008 by romanceliu]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 22-9-2008 at 23:10

Please write a proper account of the experimental procedure. People here do not read minds.
What function the toluene has in your reaction? And what do you mean by "dissolved in Toluene"? The 48% HBr(aq) does not dissolve in toluene - you should have a biphasic mixture. How much 1,6-dibromohexane do you isolate? How did you confirm the identity of the product (is that just GC area purity of whatever you got, or you actually characterized that product, or at least verified against an authentic standard?).
Polymeric crap is normal in such a reaction.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 23-9-2008 at 14:20

The preparation of a bromohydrin like your target is best done not with hydrobromic acid but with 1 molar equivalent of a better brominating agent. There is an embarrasment of choices of such reagents, many of which have been discussed here before. PBr3 in presence of a tert. amine is one. Gold's Reagent (cyanuric chloride/DMF 1:2) in DCM with KBr is another. See my thread on mild and efficient halogenating agents. Ph3P/CBr4 is another very good system.

Yields are high, conditions mild. Contamination by dibromide should be nonexistant.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Barium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-9-2008 at 16:19

It's sooo encouraging to see that the chem industry is operated by competent people. :(
romanceliu
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-9-2008 at 21:58

thanks , some advice, i try them ,
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 02:32

The use of triphenylphosphine and carbon tetrachloride to chlorinate sensitive alcohols is illustrated in Org.Syn. for geranyl chloride. Same procedure goes for bromides with CBr4. Reagents must be perfectly dry. Ph3P is air sensitive so do it under argon.

Note that Org.Syn. has two procedures in seperate articles for geranyl chloride so make sure you get the right one for Ph3P.

For the TCT/DMF/KBr prep of alkyl bromides, including bromohydrins, Lydia deLuca in Organic Letters, I will post the paper asap.

The reference 12 in the Org.Syn. paper is the pertinent one for Ph3P/CBr4.

A rapid, mild procedure for the preparation of alkyl chlorides and bromides
J. Hooz, S. S. H. Gilani

Can. J. Chem. 46(1): 86-87 (1968) | doi:10.1139/CJC-46-1-86

[Edited on 24-9-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: CV6P0634.pdf (184kB)
This file has been downloaded 1385 times

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 13:20

Here's the cited paper.

[Edited on 25-9-2008 by Sauron]

Attachment: cjc.pdf (129kB)
This file has been downloaded 902 times

laoqianxiu
Harmless

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 22:37

the function of the Toluene is the extractant of targeting product

Don\'t try to hard,the best things come when you least expect them to.
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 00:31

NBS in DMF works also really well to selectively bromate compounds in my experience.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 00:37

Romanceliu, as difficult as he may be to understand, is not talking about electrophilic brominations. Instead he is doing a nucleophilic bromination of a diol to a alpha,omega-bromoalcohol by substituting only one of the -OH groups with -Br. Therefore he can not use NBS, except if he first reduces NBS with Ph3P like in the Appel reaction, but that would have no point since even simple&cheap HBr seem to work.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 03:23

Yes, Nicodem, but, but. He wants to improve yield. TCT/DMF/KBr in DCM gives near quantitative yields in 15-30 min at r.t., is mild, and is easy to hold to monobromination of a diol. If he wants to employ cheap brute force reagents like HBr he will have to trade off yield for stoichiometric control. Unless he wants to put a PG on the other hydroxyl, then he can use HBr in excess, and afterwards deprotect to obtain the bromohydrin.

And it is cheap. Conc HBr isn't free'

Go To Top