Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need Ideas For a Project
HydroCarbon
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 16:35
Need Ideas For a Project

Next semester I'll be graduating from my community college with an associates in science. I'm going to a university after that to get my bachelors in chemical engineering. But before I get my associates I need to work on an independent study project for the entirety of my last semester. This project is to be in any field of science of my choice (obviously chemistry), and I can do pretty much whatever I want.

My chemistry teacher was talking to me today and told me that after this current semester there will be cuts in funding for the school and that I should pick out a project in the next two weeks so she can order any necessary chemicals and labware before the funding is cut.

So, I need ideas. Our lab is quite well equipped, and I'm sure I can get my teacher to order me any necessary chemicals as long as they aren't too dangerous, expensive, or restricted.

So far I have the idea of analyzing circuit boards from various electronics to determine amounts of various precious metals, and develop refining processes to collect them. Another idea I have is to extract some sort of useful organic compound from plant matter. And yet another idea is to synthesize some sort of drug (she was telling me about how a student last year synthesized Fluoxetine(prozac)).

Any ideas are welcome!

[Edited on 24-9-2008 by HydroCarbon]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 19:09

Lots of possibilities it seems.

personally I'd try a derivative of a drug of some sort. Lots of options their I would think.
Personally I think Modafinil with a chloro group in the para position on one of the phenyl rings might be interesting, and probably not to difficult to make from Dichlorobenzene, benzaldehyde via the barbier reaction (to form the p-chlorodiphenylmethanol)
and then fallow one of these synthesis to modafinil: http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/adrafinil.mo...

I really don't know if that is a good suggestion however, could also find the best solvents for alkaloid/oil extractions in plants, etc.

What do you think would be the best to do?
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 20:16

You could report on the autoxidation of oils, like turpentine, citronella, etc. oils. and their properties and uses, e.g. turpentine oil oxidized by air is said to bleach indigo, liberate I2 from KI, oxidize arsenous to arsenic acid, etc.
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2008 at 21:15

See if you can synthesise insect pheromones, then demonstrate their effect in a terrarium.

See if you can synthesise human pheromones, then demonstrate their effect on females in your class. :P

\"Who ARE you? You\'re like the drummer from REO Speedwagon - nobody knows who you are\" from \'Employee of the Month\'
epeters
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 11:52

your project has strong roots in ore refining (mining). You could instead use your extraction/purification processes on rocks or other items. the difficulty with PCB's is there is gallium arsenide (safe when crystallized), and other fairly hazardous components when you attempt to break it apart.
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 12:44

The effect of large quanities of cesium on water?

Or more realisticly, you could extract pigments or scents and anylize them.

Chemkid

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 14:20

Extract, isolate and characterize the MAO inhibitor from St. John's Wort.

Equipment: MS, IR, NMR, rotovap, sohxlet extractor, ether, ligroine or MeCl2. HCl and NaOH.

[Edited on 9-10-2008 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2008 at 14:41

If theres indeed galliumarsenide in PCB's I would not go for that project, as arsine might evolve (you're woring with acids), wich is EXTREMELY toxic.
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/AR/arsine.html

However when you take a excess HNO3, i think all will be oxidised to less toxic arsenix compounds. Still treat solutions as highly toxic.

[Edited on 9-10-2008 by Jor]

Go To Top