Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rubber Vacuum Tubing
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 11:02
Rubber Vacuum Tubing

Does anyone know where to obtain the thick-walled red or black soft rubber vacuum tubing commonly used in university laboratories (at least in the U.S.)? I've been unable to find a local source, and internet queries have only turned up websites which won't sell to individuals. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm also looking for a Splashgon for my vacuum aspirators. If anyone knows where to get these, or has one to trade/sell, please post or PM me.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 11:49

try hardware shops, my local one sells them.
Try looking on the internet harder, there must be some out there...
Or if all else fails ask your school for it.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:20

The local yellow pages category is called "Hose & Tubing - Rubber & Plastic". If that yields nothing, ask your local welding supplier who also sells oxyacetylene hose in your area that might carry vacuum hose.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 16:27

Some automotive vac hose works for applications such as vacuum filtration.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 20:47

The best general purpose vacuum/pressure hose widely available and solvent friendly is a Good Year product, made in the USA, and is called 'Ortac'. It's a black nitrile inner hose, braided with a string and then coated in a very tough red rubber. The main draw back is that if you have say 3/8'' hose then, because of the string braiding, you are not going to be able to compress or expand it around larger or smaller nipples. However if you purchase a roll and commit you will find yourself standardising everything relevant over time.
Most engineering suppliers carry the product, well in australia they do and i assume in the the USA also as its made there.:D

ProChem
Harmless

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 05:19

Sigma-Aldrich, cole parmer, Thomas Scientific, to name a few will sell equipment. I personally buy from cole parmer since their prices are resonable. Some may have a minimum order though.

Go To Top