Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas chromatographs
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 12:14
Gas chromatographs

I recently obtained a helium cylinder for my Gow Mac 150 gas chromaograph that has been sitting in my lab for the last year and a half. The instrument will separate various organic compounds, but the peaks seem to be very broad when they are recorded on the chart recorder. The system uses 4ft long packed columns. These columns are over 30 years old. Could the columns be defective?
matei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 12:50

Packed columns have lower resolution than capillary columns, so the peaks should look somewhat broad, but I think you should replace the stationary phase after it stood in air for 30 years :). Also you should check that the stationary phase is suitable for the compounds you've tried to separate (e.g Apiezon is good for nonpolar compounds, Carbowax for polar compounds like alcohols and silicone oil has a general applicability).
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 15:00

Most of the modern macro-bore columns can be adapted on "old" packed colum machines, using the same injector and detector, and offering a better resolution. Check out the prices for the adaptators, it's often worth it when you don't want to purchase a whole new setup.

You coudl try heating your column quite highand purging it with helium to remove adsobed water and all the other residual gak that could ahev collected, and try usign it again. If you still haev very broad peaks, it surely is unusuable.

You are one lucky bastard! I dream of having GC apparatus at home...

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 10:42

Here is a print out from the chart recorder connected to the instrument. After several minutes the instrument goes all the way to zero and does not record any more of the sample. The samples are turpentine and nitromethane racing fuels.

Attachment: Gas Chromatograph print out.doc (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 23927 times

matei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 07:22

It looks like the sample just goes through the column, and there is no separation of the components. Turpentine is quite a complex mixture, and I think it would be hard to separate it even with good packed columns. I guess you could try first some simple mixtures like benzene and cyclohexane in CH2Cl2 or something.... Also, can you provide more info - like carrier gas flow, temperature program, amount injected, type of stationary phase, type of detector (it's a TCD isn't it)?
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2008 at 07:43

This system uses a thermal conductivity detector or a TCD. I was running the helium into the instrument at 60 mL per minute. The instrument was a 150 degrees C. A carbowax packed column was used, from what I have heard, I need to replace the columns.

Go To Top