quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 05:50

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
terminology is enough to get you to gitmo. :(

lol that's like there dream.

It's starting to piss me off, how daily I'm called terrorist. As a 'joke' they plan on writing a letter to the the community constable that took my chems about how I got a shipment of glassware and some strong acids.

Quote:

Constable ****, I feel it is my duty as a concerned citizen to inform you about a potential danger to your community. There is a young boy, Named ***** **** living in your area who is experementing with explosives, acids and high powerd lasers. this has gotten to a point hwre neigbours have complained about smoke and the fire dept has confiscated material. I have it on good authority that he has received a package containing over 5L of sulfuric acid and i ask you to do what you can to stop this menace. Sincerly, Anonymous

Note the poor spelling and grammar

They haven't sent it yet, but they use it as a 'threat'

[Edited on 11-6-2010 by mewrox99]

I don't want to sound alarmist but that does sound like a really serious issue.
If I were you I would do everything I could to convince them that I no longer practice that hobby, that I had gotten rid of all materials that could be used to implicate me, etc, etc.
They MAY play a "joke" on you thinking that nothing will come of it other than a laugh.

Nothing could be further than the truth. Those little shits could ruin your life. The emotional thrust of "terrorism" is not much different than "child molester" - in that the perpetrator is one who harms the innocent & is guilty by implication just like a "witch hunt" of old.

These people are NOT friends. You do NOT need them in your life. Anyone who would subject someone to the threat of ruin is not a friend. The BEST thing to do is to get them OUT of your life entirely.

Our hobby is well misunderstood. It also has the potential to be frightening to those who don't understand it. Be VERY careful who you talk to about energetic materials & ALWAYS underline your mature and safety-oriented agenda when studying them (should someone ask). NEVER volunteer that you find them interesting. It's as easy to brand you a dysfunctional individual as someone who owns more than one firearm or collects knives.

mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 06:22

The funny thing is, I haven't even made any explosives. Seriously KClO4/Al is hardly a high explosive.

densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 10:44

KClO4/Al is an interesting case. The larger the pile, the higher the combustion velocity. Once the pile is big enough, the combustion front progresses close to the speed of sound in the pile. It shatters things more like a high explosive than a low explosive if the quantity is large enough. The PGA (Pyrotechnic club in the US) puts a pound of it without confinement in a little building they construct for the demo. It's shattered - the wood framing rains down in little chunks.

The particle size and shape make a big difference in the combustion rate. "300 mesh" and below aluminum flakes are very potent.

50 milligrams makes a US firecracker. 300 mg is quite a bang. Y'know the big bangs in display fireworks - the ones that hit you in the chest from 500m away? That's 100g or so of flash powder in a flimsy paper tube.

Be really, really careful with it. It's sensitive to pressure, impact, rubbing, static electricity, heat, you name it.

If you hear about a fireworks factory exploding in a 3rd world country, it's almost always a barrel of flash going off in the firecracker making room. In the US, no fireworks factory can make more than 4.5Kg at a time.

In small quantities, treated with great respect, it's fun.

The US law considers it in between low explosives like gunpowder and high explosives like TNT or NH4NO3/fuel.

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by densest]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top