Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (1)
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2009 at 13:45

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
In the presence of strong acids and/or heat formic acid decomposes into water and carbon monoxide; even pure +90% formic acid slowly decomposes so storage containers need pressure relief to prevent explosions. You must use dilute acid, slowly add it to a solution of the formate, always have an excess of format, and keep it cool. When finished, chill and filter off the hydrated sodium sulfate, the fractionate to get about 70% formic acid.

Supposedly it can also be had by mixing sodium formate and bisulfate and distilling under vacuum, but I've no details on that.

Aha, so that is why we have PLASTIC Acros bottled with HCOOH at uni. That was the first plastic Acros bottle I have ever seen.
querjek
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-3-2009 at 04:35

To prepare ~30% HBr in acetic acid, could I saturate some acetic acid with HBr gas generated by dripping H2SO4 onto NaBr?

it's all about chemistry.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Split
26-3-2009 at 06:10
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 09:11

Quote: Originally posted by querjek  
To prepare ~30% HBr in acetic acid, could I saturate some acetic acid with HBr gas generated by dripping H2SO4 onto NaBr?

The sulfuric acid/NaBr reaction will work to produce HBr gas but is often not preferred since it is an oxidizing acid and therefore will inevitably form bromine, sulfur dioxide, and H2O impurities. Its actually best to use non-oxidizing acids such as phosphoric acid or even acetic acid. I'm also not sure how soluble HBr is in acetic acid I assume a little would dissolve but I don't know about 30%. Lastly, I could be wrong but what might also happen is the acid could protonate the hydroxyl group and form acetic bromide compounds as by products. I hope this was helpful.

[Edited on 26-3-2009 by sakshaug007]
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 09:25

Hello everyone,

I am interested in synthesizing methyl iodide and was wondering if the following reaction would work:

CH3OH + H2SO4 + KI ---> CH3I + K2SO4 + H2O (heat solution @ ~60°C to distill CH3I)

My HSC calculations show it to be favorable, but again I don't anything about the rate. Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone suspect it to work?

Thanks a lot
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 10:12

Yes, HBr can dissolve to certainly 30% in GAA.

Conc. H2SO4 on KBr will produce lots of bromine. Use phosphoric acid.

No you can't make MeI this way. Even cold, sulfuric acid will oxidises iodides to iodine, itself being reduced to sulfur dioxide, sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, and possibly other sulfur-compounds.

The prefferred method uses red P/I2. These two react to form PI3, wich reacts with water forming phosphorous acid (H3PO3) and HI, and HI will react with methanol, forming MeI.

I also recall (not sure) that if highly concentrated (it was more than 85%, i think 95%) is heated with methanol/KI, MeI is formed, but I'm really not sure, and I can't remember where I read it.

Be careful, MeI is a nasty carcinogen.

[Edited on 26-3-2009 by Jor]
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by Jor  

No you can't make MeI this way. Even cold, sulfuric acid will oxidises iodides to iodine, itself being reduced to sulfur dioxide, sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, and possibly other sulfur-compounds.

Would my reaction work substituting sulfuric acid for other non oxidizing acids? What are some other strong non-oxidizing acid besides H3PO3?

Thanks
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2009 at 12:31

Quote: Originally posted by sakshaug007  
Quote: Originally posted by Jor  

Would my reaction work substituting sulfuric acid for other non oxidizing acids? What are some other strong non-oxidizing acid besides H3PO3?

Thanks

Yeah, what about toluene sulphonic acid, or even a big handful of acid exchange resin that could be recovered afterwards?
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 03:51

I was wondering about boiling down hydrogen nitrate.
Years ago my only source for nitric acid was " Ph- " about 30% HNO3.
Well according to Wikipedia the water/nitric azeotrope boils at 121,8 degrees Celsius.
So a quite easy method of determining whether the concentrating has reached it's azeotrope or 68% would be watching the temperature stabilize at 121.8 degrees.

Well my question is how could a determine the concentration by an alternate way.

( has anyone a table of concentration/density versus mass )

[Edited on 27-3-2009 by User]

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by User  
I was wondering about boiling down hydrogen nitrate.
Years ago my only source for nitric acid was " Ph- " about 30% HNO3.
Well according to Wikipedia the water/nitric azeotrope boils at 121,8 degrees Celsius.
So a quite easy method of determining whether the concentrating has reached it's azeotrope or 68% would be watching the temperature stabilize at 121.8 degrees.

Well my question is how could a determine the concentration by an alternate way.

( has anyone a table of concentration/density versus mass )

[Edited on 27-3-2009 by User]

titrate. It answers everything :P

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
User
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 09:48

Well just in case iam not in the possession of a buret any alternate ideas.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 10:44

You could do a crude titration using syringes.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by User  
Well just in case iam not in the possession of a buret any alternate ideas.

With a cheap 0.01g balance you could do weight/weight titrations. Just weigh everything before and after and use a dropper to do the titration.
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 11:59

Does anyone know where to get chloroform? (I don't want to make it). I want to electrolyze it for poly(hydridocarbyne) synthesis.

Thanks
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 13:10

Try a chemical supplier. I dont think there are any OTC sources of chloroform, although I have seen DCM (at a ridiculous price, about 8 quid for 250mls! It was some kind of hob cleaner IIRC).
Aubrey
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-3-2009 at 16:04

I attempted the synth of Cyclopentanol from cyclopentanone using Al Isopropoxide. I kept distilling until the vapor temp was 84.5 degrees and have about 300ml of clear liquid in my receiving flask (now in a bottle).
The method calls for reacting the prcpt in the flask with H2SO4 until acidic. now the problem is that if they are talking of the reaction flask rather than the receiving flask, i have a black mess in there from which i cannot even measure the ph because it tuns the litmus black! Should I filter this fist or distill the lot across? I guess i could dip in my digitla ph meter into this mess but im not too keen on that idea.
User
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 00:03

For the record.
I don't know if ur purposely giving this guy incorrect info but DCM is not chloroform.
That would be TCM (trichloromethane) not DCM ( Dichloromethane ).

[Edited on 28-3-2009 by User]

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 05:26

I know the difference between chloroform and DCM. I was merely stating that I have not seen chloroform OTC, but I have seen DCM albeit at a ridiculous price. In some cases it may be possible to use DCM in place of chloroform.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 09:05

Quote:
I want to electrolyze it for poly(hydridocarbyne) synthesis.

wow that stuff sounds really interesting! From wiki: Upon thermolysis in argon at atmospheric pressure and temperatures of 110°C to 1000°C, decomposition of poly(hydridocarbyne) results in hexagonal diamond (Lonsdaleite).

panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 15:54

I just thought I'd share a nice photo of NaK with you all. Hope you like it. The second photo is a closeup of one of the globules. The NaK was prepared by melting potassium and sodium under pre-dried paraffin, it was transfered to a vial, extruded into paraffin under argon from a pipette to remove surface oxide contamination.

CaptureNaK.JPG - 23kB CaptureNaKcloseup.JPG - 22kB

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-3-2009 at 20:28

Quote: Originally posted by kclo4  
Quote:
I want to electrolyze it for poly(hydridocarbyne) synthesis.

wow that stuff sounds really interesting! From wiki: Upon thermolysis in argon at atmospheric pressure and temperatures of 110°C to 1000°C, decomposition of poly(hydridocarbyne) results in hexagonal diamond (Lonsdaleite).

Yep that's what I plan to do, I want to diamond coat carbon electrodes for electrolysis experiments. But I need to figure out a way to dope the material to make it conductive. Perhaps in situ during electrolysis using some kind of boron compound but I'm not sure which compound to use.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2009 at 06:59

Hello,
Can anyone suggest another indicator, (more easy to get) other than Sodium Diphenylamine Sulphonate as a redox indicator.
Thanks, Dann2
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2009 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  
Hello,
Can anyone suggest another indicator, (more easy to get) other than Sodium Diphenylamine Sulphonate as a redox indicator.
Thanks, Dann2

Fe[III]/thiocyanate, KI/starch
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2009 at 17:26

Nice NaK panziandi! It does look very shiny...
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 23:08

Hello everyone,

I am going to attempt the electrolysis of chloroform in acetone solvent, and I wanted to ask what ionic salts you would suggest for an electrolyte, (i.e., readily soluble in acetone). I understand that I can just use a small amount of NaCl but if I end up doing a lot of this in the future I would prefer a salt that can dissolve in higher concentrations in acetone.

Thanks a lot.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 00:17

Lithium perchlorate can and is commonly used as electrolyte in organic solvents. It is soluble in all solvents that are at least slightly basic, including acetone, and it does not get destroyed by oxidation at the anode like NaCl (which is not soluble in acetone anyway). But where did you saw acetone can be used as solvent? I would imagine methanol or something like that, but not acetone which reacts at both electrodes.
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28

Go To Top