Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfonation of 4-nitroaniline
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 13:30
Sulfonation of 4-nitroaniline

Does anyone have experience with such reaction?
Well I will tell u my own experience
1-This reaction proceeds at 140 degree to give 2-amino 4-nitrobenzenesulfonic (example of procedure 2 gm 4-nitroaniline and 4 ml conc sulfuric and heating at 140 degree)
2-My bad experience is with scaling up ...when I used 50 g of 4-nitroaniline and 100 ml conc sulfuric ,boiled over drastically though I have added 4-nitroaniline over 2 hours to warmed sulfuric acid (at 70 degree)

I wonder what happened and what to do to avoid that

amr h mahmoud
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 10:11

I really need help in that reaction
:(

amr h mahmoud
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 12:32

sounds like with the scale up the heat of the reaction is not disipating away from the locality and causing local over heating. Are you stirring the reaction mixture with an overhead? Perhaps lower the temperature. Nitrations and sulphonations are very prone to runaway reactions. Sulphonations can sometimes lead to local charing if not well moderated have you seen this? Is the 4-nitroaniline dry? If it contains water at all, adding something moist or carrying water into warm sulphuric acid will be devistating! Try a scale up in between the two, often scale up reactions require different conditions.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 14:12

thanks man but the strange about my trial is that things went wrong after 3 hours at the same conditions

I tried sulfonation of 10 grams using 50 ml conc sulfuric and things went well ....is that logic as I used 50 ml instead of 20 ml ?

I really hope to see an appropriate literature procedure for an amount of 50 gram or more

amr h mahmoud
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 18:00

Perhaps when you ran it with extra sulphuric acid the extra acid acted to disipate the heat by absorbing it. Perhaps more acid is necessary? If I was doing the reaction I would add the nitroaniline to the pre-cooled acid and stir vigorously then allow the acid to cool again before adding the next portion of the nitroaniline (portions would be say 1/10ths of the aniline used to see how warm it gets and adjust if needed). Then I would allow it to warm up and finally heat with stirring if that is needed (follow what your method states). I haven't checked your quantities but you will want H2SO4 to react with the NH2 group to solvate (1mol acid to 1mol base) you will want H2SO4 to sulphonate the ring (1mol acid to 1mol ring) and you will want an excess of sulphuric acid to solvate (I don't know what volume). Make sure you thus have >>2mol H2SO4 per 1mol nitroaniline.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top