Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aldrich Catalog
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 15:19
Aldrich Catalog

Historically, Aldrich Catalogs have been difficult to obtain. They don't just send you one because you ask.

After jumping through some hoops, you can peruse their online catalog, but it lacks serendipity, and it also creates a record.

A seller is now offering NEW 2007-2008 Catalogs on E-Bay.

Since this isn't a chemical, or equipment; but merely a book.....I'm going to assume it is alright to post a link.

http://stores.ebay.com/boxerc333_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQf...

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by zed]
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 15:23

I actually got one just by asking, with no commercial/academic address of any kind. That was 7 or so years ago, things may have changed, or I may have been lucky.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 16:00

Well, when I worked at the Uni, after they got to know me, they used to send them to me at my private PO Box.

But, after an interval of many years, the last time I called them, not from the Uni, they acted like a catalog request was an indictable crime.

This may be a regional difference (I have always lived in the West Coast "Hotzone"). It may also be due to overzealous neophytes manning the Aldrich phones. Some folks just love the make themselves feel powerful, by making other folks jump through hoops.....And, by denying their reasonable requests.

At any rate, this guy on E-Bay has a number of New Aldrich Catalogs for sale, at a reasonable price. I assume they were obtained via a recycling center or some such method, and he is more or less unaffiliated with Aldrich.

For those out there that do not have, and cannot get a current catalog, this is an opportunity.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 16:04

I didn't know there was much interest in them? They all have nice covers, bit pretentious mind you, but still, I like Aldrich. I could probably lay my hands on half a dozen or so ones from the last few years if anyone is interested?

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 16:07

.............I reside in Mexico and I get a new copy yearly of course if one claims to be a research foundation helps them justify the expense as well as many of the other pharmaceutical and chemical supply houses, Alfa, J.T. Baker, and so on, so that may be the way to go..........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 16:16

I have a 2001 Fisher catalog that has a section on chemicals. Is there a big advantage in having an Aldrich catalog? Neither one of the bastards will sell to me.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 17:04

The advantage of an Aldrich catalog, is the vast number of reagents therein. A quick check can often tell you if a reagent exists, and if it is commercially available.

Also, in a large number of cases, of all American suppliers, Aldrich has the most reasonable prices.

Buying directly from Aldrich is a problem for many. I used to obtain my Aldrich reagents via a smaller, local company, that acted as an intermediary. No problem.

If you really want to develop a relationship with Aldrich the behemoth, I have a suggestion.

They ARE pretentious, and they could care less about giving an account to a potential liability like you.

HOWEVER.....IF YOU SYNTHESIS SOMETHING UNUSUAL AND INTERESTING, AND YOU OFFER TO SELL THEM SOME.....YOU MAY STOP BEING A WALLFLOWER, AND SUDDENLY BECOME A PROM QUEEN!

Aldrich takes pride in offering a wide variety of reagents for sale, but they don't personally manufacture everything they sell.

If you can figure out how to make something they want, and make some money on the deal.....You might find yourself in a very friendly relationship with them.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 02:55

Well, I have an account with the S-A distributor in this country and I find their prices outrageously expensive not only for chemicals but also for even the simplest equipment.

In consequence I only buy from S-A as a last resort, and even then, if the chemical is hazmat then they try to impose absurd shipping charges that amount to a few thousand dollars for even a small order of a single chemical worth less that $100.

That kills the deal.

But if I change the order to Fluka there's no hazmat.

Go figure.

I get better prices and better service from half a dozen suppliers than I do from Sigma-Aldrich. Acros, Panreac, Ajax, Carlo Erba, Merck, etc..

So I keep a 10 year old Aldrich catalog for reference and otherwise check online.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 09:00

Quote:

But if I change the order to Fluka there's no hazmat.

That's insane, as Fluka is now an Aldrich subsidiary.

Aldrich is certainly not cheap in Europe, but not overly expensive. They do have the advantage of being able to ship even somewhat exotic reagents within 48 hours. Aldrich glassware is insanely expensive though, but that might have to do with their proprietary coupling system instead of using ground glass joints.

Anyway, we always get a load of Aldrich catalogs at the lab, usually more than we need. You might ask a friend in a uni department. Acros once shipped a catalog to my home address though without any questions.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 09:15

Yes I know Fluka belongs to S-A. The point is, the hazmat shipping fees are a US thing, and Fluka does not fall under that jurisdiction. But shipments coming from the US, even to abroad, are assessed the hazmat fees, and as they are based on distance, the fees to Thailand are simply deal-killers.

$2000 shipping for a $50 chemical? NOT an exxageration.

Sometimes Fluka is expensive, sometimes they are cheaper than Merck or Acros. It pays to shop around.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 14:13

I sent a non-chemical item from the U.S. to Japan recently. U.S. Mail. !2inx12inx6inch Box. Flat rate Global Priority Mail, Large Box. Up to 20lbs. no zone fees. $50.00 US.

For items that qualify, that doesn't seem bad.

I've never had to pay any Hazmat fees. But, I'm quite sure it would be a deal killer for me too.

[Edited on 16-10-2008 by zed]
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 05:25

I've been out of it for a while, but do Lancaster still do a catalogue? Theirs was pretty decent if I remember rightly.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
matei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2008 at 11:13

Lancaster is now a part of Alfa Aesar.
prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have a 2001 Fisher catalog that has a section on chemicals. Is there a big advantage in having an Aldrich catalog? Neither one of the bastards will sell to me.

Fisher always sends me catalogs, a month ago I ordered tons of catalogs and free samples to my house in the Netherlands and they sent it to me no questions asked.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 11:08

Aldrich catalogs used to be like a chemical properties handbook, they always had MP, BP, density, etc for most of their compounds, plus some hazard information. With the internet, they are not nearly as useful, but are still a very concise list of the top 25,000 or so chemicals used commonly. Very few other companies have as nice a catalog, although a few are getting there (Alfa-Aeser-Lancaster for example a few years back.) I used to have a ton of old copies, but still might be able to find one if anyone wants one and is ordering other things. The postage would be a high by itself.

Some of the companies also had CD versions of their catalogs, which were also nice for a while, but most now are online.

amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 15-6-2013 at 15:00

I had the luck of being involved with the chemistry stockroom at my college, and they would get yearly Aldrich catalogs. My mentor there gave me one as a gift some years ago, I still keep it as a reference, to look up basic chemical properties info and see if a compound is commercially available. I had no idea they dumbed down the more recent catalogs. That's a shame. I'm sure if you ask nicely (and you have some connections) educational institutions would have no trouble giving you a catalog (they usually have more than they know what to do with)
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 15-6-2013 at 19:07

The Aldrich catalogue is available as an iPad app. It includes a number of data tables and basic data for many compounds. Aldrich also has a number of other apps such as various calculators and, somewhat oddly, a game.
ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2013 at 18:50

Quote: Originally posted by prof_genius  

Fisher always sends me catalogs, a month ago I ordered tons of catalogs and free samples to my house in the Netherlands and they sent it to me no questions asked.

How much do they give you in the free samples?

prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 00:02

They sent me:
1 Microflex black dragon gloves sample pack (3 pairs)
25 Basix sterile 15ml centrifuge tubes
1 pair Fisherbrand Nitrile aloe exam gloves
3 Fisherbrand electroporation cuvettes (2mm gap, sterile)

Photo on 6-21-13 at 9.59 AM.jpg - 78kB

Go To Top