Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry question help?
lucky123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 17:56
Chemistry question help?

Allright I have a question that if anyone can help answer I would appreciate it... I was going to artifically carbonate wine to make a sparkling wine type beverage using baking soda and vinegar... I want to know how much vinegar (5%) needs to react with how many grams of baking soda to produce enough co2 by product to carbonate one liter of wine to a carbonation level of 80 psi (i think that is what sparkling wines have correct me if I wrong but I know they have a high level)? How do I figure this problem out and how much co2 can a liquid like water absorb before it can't absorb anymore... Sorry this is problem an easy chemistry question for most but I stuck and looking for some help. Much thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to explain this problem to me....;)
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2008 at 18:05

I don't really know but I bet Henry's Law can help you! :P

Maybe check out these links?
http://www.800mainstreet.com/9/0009-006-henry.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_law

Also, your going to have to calculate how much CO2 will be dissolved in your now formed dilute sodium acetate solution. When it comes to that, you might be better off producing the CO2 in another way, or attempt salting it out from the solution.

Perhaps you could use dry ice?
Seems a lot easier. That way you'd just need to add the correct amount in grams of the dry CO2 to your cider and close it.
Of course, MAKE SURE you don't add a significant excess or it could get quite messy.

[Edited on 22-10-2008 by kclo4]

Go To Top