Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Concentrating H2O2
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 17:43

Quote:
Originally posted by triggernum5
You can also buy large or small quantities of 50% H2O2 at any hydroponics store for pretty cheap..

Quote:

In an effort to hamper the ability of terrorists to manufacture explosives, the Government of Canada has introduced a new Restricted Components Regulations under the Explosives Act. The regulations designate the following nine explosive precursors as “restricted components”:

- ammonium nitrate in solid form at a concentration between 28 and 34% nitrogen;

- hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of at least 30%, UN numbers: 2015 and 3149;
A number of rules are placed on sellers of restricted components, which cover items such as security, ensuring only authorized staff have access to the restricted components, do weekly stock inspections to ensure no restricted components have been lost or stolen, record keeping, and obtaining identification from purchasers of these components. The seller must also obtain very detailed records of sales of components above the following quantities:

- hydrogen peroxide, 1 L;
- nitromethane, 1 L;
- potassium chlorate, 1 kg;
- potassium perchlorate, 10 kg;
- sodium chlorate, 1 kg;
- nitric acid, 3.5 kg;
- potassium nitrate, 25 kg; and
- sodium nitrate, 25 kg

The regulations come into effect on June 1, 2008 for ammonium nitrate and March 1, 2009 for the other 8 chemicals.

http://www.articlesbase.com/business-articles/restricted-com...
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 23:20

I read on the RS forum that someone had achieved a concentration of 88% by vacuum dessicating ~30% H2O2 over conc. H2SO4 for about a week.
I can't find a link now; my browser don't seem willing to cooperate at the moment.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but it is very interesting for me as I have a nearly unlimited supply of 35% hydrogen peroxide and I want to experiment with H2O2 rockets.

[Edited on 8-1-2009 by Lambda-Eyde]
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 20:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde
I read on the RS forum that someone had achieved a concentration of 88% by vacuum dessicating ~30% H2O2 over conc. H2SO4 for about a week.
I can't find a link now; my browser don't seem willing to cooperate at the moment.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but it is very interesting for me as I have a nearly unlimited supply of 35% hydrogen peroxide and I want to experiment with H2O2 rockets.

I've never seen dessication mentioned in detail, here before or in the literature. With 20mL of 35% H2O2 in a clean dessicator next to 100mL conc. H2SO4, the rate of dehydration was leading to concentration increases of about 10% per week for the first 4 weeks. And then 5% per week the 3 weeks thereafter. So after the total of 7 weeks, the density went up to 1.4 g/cc which is about 90.5 to 91%. The volume was over 4mL. There is also a significant amount of microbubbles in the peroxide. As we see there is considerable loss of H2O2, due to it evaporating, but maybe also decomposing. I don't think I have to reitrate to everyone here all the hazards of the very strong peroxide, or the even more highly hazardous Caro's acid which forms from H2SO4 and H2O2 (if the two were to interact). It is especially important that everything is free of metallic contaminants. This dehydration procedure poses a significant fire risk (larger amounts explosion risk), and must not be done in regular living areas.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top