Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Rats !!! How to get rid of them ???
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 12:11

I'd be seriously frightened by any synthesis of that stuff from formaldehyde and sulfamide.
The gamma radiation from the nuclear transitions that made the chlorine atoms would be particulalry nasty.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 12:17

Chemistry is great. Chemistry is beautiful. But in this case, it is applied physics that will solve the problem.

Bust up that rat rubble and remove it. Or, remove what you can, and seal up the holes with concrete.

Otherwise, wave after wave, of immigrating rats, will colonize.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 14:47

The cat did it ! 5Minutes ago there was a screaming, and the cat came along with one rat, layed it down on the floor in front of me ...
Now the cat has it's extra-bonus-fried-chicken, well deserved ...

Maybe until today the cat just was unsure if it's allowed to kill a rat (; today it witnessed me "smoking out" the rats, unsuccesfully ...).

But now the question is: How serious is the hazard of cat getting infected by the rat, then maybe infecting me ?
As far as I understand, a cat has a somewhat different metabolism from rats and mice,which makes cat-bites difficult for humans if they occur.
But since the human has a similar metabolism to a rat (therefrom the usage of rats in medical research), the human again has a different one from the cat.Only: The cat comes along right after the kill, and I never know, when it happened ...
Where I'm located here is an urban area in Germany, so halfway civilized (hygienically) ... but one never knows ... ??

[Edited on 29-10-2008 by chief]

chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 15:20

Quote:
Originally posted by unionised
I'd be seriously frightened by any synthesis of that stuff from formaldehyde and sulfamide.
The gamma radiation from the nuclear transitions that made the chlorine atoms would be particulalry nasty.

Gamma radiation ? Whats the shortest wavelength that can be emitted by any chemical reaction ? "soft gamma" may as well mean "hard UV" ...
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2008 at 16:04

have you thought of using electrocution?

a couple of high voltage AC caps (from microwave ovens) and a death plate and wired food will probably zap most of the dumber ones.

when they get zapped on this idea they jump about three free straight up. very funny

but unless there is enough current thru the circuit they will run away only to play another day. which is to say on a high voltage discharge like this one they will be DRT! and not in the unreachable vomit producing and unacessible places.

you can vary the scenario for the smart little fucks so that they can't keep up with the executioner

BTW this is very lethal little plan. it will kill you in heartbeat so don't fuck uup and if you do it is not my responsibility.

if you don't have any experience with electrons - especially the high voltage variety better not try this. there will

craZy jiM wGGns

--packrat, professional bum. -- once just tired
now REtired.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2008 at 01:56

Yes, I thought about it, and have experience with it, still thinking of it, since it's sort-of impossible to remove that industrial oven (too strong walls,like a bunker), wherein they reside.
But there is also the cat ...
One idea was to make it non-lethal, and just lay around a 25 m long wire with a hurt insulation every few cm. Every time a rat gets too close to such a point of hurt insulation it will get zapped ....
The voltage would come from my standard-HV-source: A hacked small TV (the anode out of the casing, and also a mass-wire; the anode connected through 10 1-MOhm-resistors, in series, within a PVC-tube, which limits the current to (1 mA)/(10 kV) (works with _this_TV undangerously).
Then the capacitance would be the capacitance of the cable to the ground, not more ....
I zapped myself accidentally like this several times, and a rat wouldn't like it too, probably.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top