Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crystallography - Thermal Ellipsoids from Uij?
slvr_phoenix
Harmless

Mood: desufnoc

shocked.gif posted on 26-11-2003 at 07:28
Crystallography - Thermal Ellipsoids from Uij?

I don't know if anyone can help me but here it goes...

I'm trying to write software to display a mollecule by reading in .RES/.INS files used by XP, XShell, etc. to start with. (Though I hope to move on to more formats later.) I've got the conversion from crystal coordinates to reciprocal space and realspace down and can draw simple atoms and bonds. What I'm missing however are the thermal ellipsoids as defined by the Uij values of the atoms.

I don't suppose anyone knows and can explain in simple steps what I have to do in order to convert those Uij values with a 50% probability into either a matrix that defines the ellipsoid's realspace vectors and rotation or a set of realspace vectors angles to use to draw the ellipsoid in realspace?

From what I understand it involves using eigenvectors and should be straight forward, but no matter what I do I just can't seem to get it right. :(

Help in just understanding the steps needed to get this right would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks.
slvr_phoenix
Harmless

Mood: desufnoc

biggrin.gif posted on 10-12-2003 at 07:25
Problem Solved!

In case anyone was wondering, I finally managed to get it working. :D

Chaos is only the beginning to the answers we just can\'t see.
When everything is meant to have an answer it becomes the questions that we need.

Go To Top