Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: inert gas bubbler question
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 23:05
inert gas bubbler question

Here's the type of bubbler I'm thinking of replacing the balloon with. If I use this how do I apply a high vacuum before admitting gas without pulling oil into the system?

[Edited on 1-11-2008 by chemrox]

bubbler.jpg - 4kB

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 05:18

If I where you i wouldn't bother with those expensive bubblers, just use a cheap gas outlet tap like this one:

and use some tubing to connect it to a small wash bottle with some oil in it, or a small simple bubller.

You can then just close the tap when pulling vacuum, shut vacuum and apply inert gas (with another bubbler) until the flow starts to slwo down, an dthne open the exit tap to the bubbler. The oil will always be saturated with argon, so no problem on that side.

That's what I have always done, and never had any problems. The type of bubbler you posted in the kind that is used on solvent stills, where vacuum is very rarely applied, but there is a constant flow of nitrogen.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 14:49

Use a torion or whatever then lead that to a safe-purge valve (link below) they are life savers, expecially for evacutating a vessel and back flushing with N2.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search/ProductDetail/ALD...

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top