Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Another home lab gets busted...
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 22:32

"The very act of posting on a forum such a this incurs an risk that can be completely avoided by not posting at all. "

Then why did you post twice? They are looking for you twice as much now!

A better question would be what do you mean by a "forum such as this"?

Is it now criminal to love science? If I thought this site was devoted to drugs instead of pure science I would not have been a member at all, let alone for years. Where is this bullshit mindset coming from where anyone devoted to science = somehow criminal. You see it every time anyone is looked at for conducting private research and I for one am sick to death of the whole idea. There may be criminals and there may be stupid kids doing stupid things in ever more stupid places but how does this relate to society coming up with the paradigm that private science = criminal.

You can have my test tubes when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

------------------------ second, reply to Zed:

No Zed I need no "piffle" comments and I know this is the legal forum, so what. I saw nothing wrong with speaking to what was as this shows what they have taken away already. No idea what neck of the woods you lived in but I would have moved if your comments are true.

I have had police in my lab on more than one occasion. Never once were any negative comments made about anything I was working on no matter how crazy and scary looking things were. OK there were two times comments were made and I quote "is this legal" question, my reply "yes" which ended further suspicion. And a question "can you aim that at me" (uniformed officer) to which reply was "no it pretty much goes wherever it wants to, I don't feel safe around it either" ( they laughed but moved farther away). The last to two Glendale Az. officers investigating thunderclaps at 2 AM. While they pondered how cool things were they also could see a well equipped lab and never said anything negative nor were there any future repercussions about any of these and other incidents. More than once they were impressed and quite interested in what I was working on.

Maybe how you conduct and project yourself to LEO is critical? Student lab in dorm = idiot (this applies to reacting chemicals, not building robots).

Someone acting very serious about cool looking science in an industrial setting = not so bad. Police are people like us and not stupid, they can see what you are doing and if it is legitimate to them and you conduct yourself well you are better served. Yes setting up home labs is looking questionable but the serious find ways to be legit. Renting an industrial (small, cheap) location may be worthwhile if you have no university access and you really want to do your research.

Somewhere we must draw the line at what we can rightfully do and what they want to limit us to. If no one even speaks out about it then where are the defenders of private science?

Just a thought.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 23:22

Ugh... I almost have a hard time believing that the police came to your place and acted like nothing was wrong. There must be something you are not telling us. Were they your friends? Is it a very small town? Are the police intelligent or brain-dead? Is your father the police chief? If not you've got some special cops there. Count your blessings.

Quote:

Maybe how you conduct and project yourself to LEO is critical?

What if you don't get a chance, like me? And to answer your "maybe": Most of the time, it doesn't matter. If it did very few labs would get raided and police wouldn't harass people. End of story.

Quote:

Police are people like us and not stupid, they can see what you are doing and if it is legitimate to them and you conduct yourself well you are better served.

Then they wouldn't have assumed right off the bat that I was making meth. They also wouldn't have told the local newspaper about my "methlab" and the newspaper wouldn't have printed a short "article" about it that included my name. I just found out about this and I am absolutely furious. They never mentioned it, apologized or printed a retraction. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now that I think about it this might explain a few odd experiences I've had in the past few years...

Quote:

Renting an industrial (small, cheap) location may be worthwhile if you have no university access and you really want to do your research.

And here's the problem with that: If you are living in an apartment or dorm in the first place you most likely don't have the money to rent any kind of place that humans can legally occupy, much less an "industrial" space. Not to mention places like that would likely be much less secure than a residence (from the police).

[Edited on 12-5-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 08:01

Then they wouldn't have assumed right off the bat that I was making meth. They also wouldn't have told the local newspaper about my "methlab" and the newspaper wouldn't have printed a short "article" about it that included my name. I just found out about this and I am absolutely furious. They never mentioned it, apologized or printed a retraction. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now that I think about it this might explain a few odd experiences I've had in the past few years...

This one caught my attention. If this is true then you should seek legal council. Are you familiar with defamation of character? I'm very serious about this because what you have described is a serious charge made against you that is not true and you are entitled to restitution. Of couse this is assuming what you have written is true.

Any lawyer would be happy to take this case.

Joe
harrydrez
Harmless

Mood: content

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 14:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Radon
...driving, eating, playing dominoes, chewing bubble gum, having sex or leaving one's home

Seems to me I can quickly recognize tangible benefits of those acts.

Posting on forums...Less so.

How's that for a valid point.

It's not. This isn't even a drug forum. Take off the tinfoil hat.
Radon
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 16:15

I see. You find posting on forums as beneficial as driving, eating, having sex, and leaving one's home.

Good for you.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 18:46

Why would I lie? I've requested a copy of the "article" from the paper but they were complete assholes to me (it's a small paper, not the state/city paper, but it still reaches probably 8,000 people a week).

I found out about this from an old friend that I recently got in touch with. He was wondering when I got out of jail.

It was in the "Police Beat" section. It lists the arrests/crimes that happen in the area every week. Since I'm almost certain a public defender can't do anything for me I have no idea how I will fight it.

Also, I asked my parents about it and they told me they saw it! And they didn't even find it important enough to tell me (apparently)!

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 21:37

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Why would I lie? I've requested a copy of the "article" from the paper but they were complete assholes to me (it's a small paper, not the state/city paper, but it still reaches probably 8,000 people a week).

I found out about this from an old friend that I recently got in touch with. He was wondering when I got out of jail.

It was in the "Police Beat" section. It lists the arrests/crimes that happen in the area every week. Since I'm almost certain a public defender can't do anything for me I have no idea how I will fight it.

Also, I asked my parents about it and they told me they saw it! And they didn't even find it important enough to tell me (apparently)!

Go to the public library. They will have a copy of it. You don't need a public defender - public defenders help people fight a charge. You are way the fuck past that. You need to sue the Police, City, and News Paper for defamation. They lied about you.

Joe
harrydrez
Harmless

Mood: content

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 22:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Radon
I see. You find posting on forums as beneficial as driving, eating, having sex, and leaving one's home.

Good for you.

Again, Mr. Condescending, you are not at risk when you post on these forums. So, what's your point?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2008 at 20:28

Good idea joe. I'll try that tomorrow. Although I don't remember seeing this particular newspaper when I went last (I usually go down to the main library downtown, it's much better).

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top