Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is the best way to go about making a nonacidic aluminum chloride solution (for an antiperspirant)?
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2018 at 09:05
What is the best way to go about making a nonacidic aluminum chloride solution (for an antiperspirant)?

Aqueous AlCl3 solutions are often used as very effective antiperspirants at 10-20% concentration, but these solutions are not acidic to my knowledge. My understanding is that adding AlCl3 to water produces HCl and Aluminum Hydroxide (?). The ingredients on some of these bottles simply state AlCl3, whereas other bottles state some variation of Aluminum Hydroxide Hydrochloride.

I want to make my own bottle for personal usage since it is cheaper than buying a small premixed bottle which seem to be sold for $50(!!). Stores sell roll-on mini bottles for $5, but I want something I can use in a spray-bottle.

I've got plenty of Aluminum Chloride but am unsure if I just would need to dissolve it in water, or rather to carefully neutralize it after dissolving it.

Any suggestions are welcomed
brew
Hazard to Self

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 23-12-2018 at 01:52

Most of post deleted due to UTFSE was implemented by myself.
Better late than never
;)

[Edited on 23-12-2018 by brew]

[Edited on 23-12-2018 by brew]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2018 at 02:20

Googling suggests that anti-perspirants use aluminium chlorohydrate- Al2(OH)5Cl.2H2O

EDIT: thanks to spammers this relevant thread emerged
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=13...

[Edited on 23-12-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-12-2018 at 04:24

When I first used antiperspirants they left white stains on my shirts which did not wash out or only slowly. I traced the problem to the Aluminium in the antiperspirant. When I switched to a none Aluminium containing antiperspirant no more white stains.

I would tell other guys with white stains on their shirts what probably caused them and some switched to antiperspirant not containing aluminium and many concluded the white stains stopped.

I assumed the stains were aluminium oxide.

Borosilicate glass:
Good temperature resistance and good thermal shock resistance but finite.
For normal, standard service typically 200-230°C, for short-term (minutes) service max 400°C
Maximum thermal shock resistance is 160°C
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 23-12-2018 at 10:36

Yeah I don't know why you'd intentionally put aluminium in your deodorant. Smelling is bad, sweating is just mildly uncomfortable.

Basically the solution to the stain problem is to wear an extra shirt, but now your body is more insulated and you'll sweat even more! Sweating is supposed to happen, it's how the body regulates its temperature. You will sweat less if you drink cold water.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]

Go To Top