Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium metal and thiocyanate?
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 08:17
Sodium metal and thiocyanate?

Today I took a small piece of sodium and added a small spatula of potasssium thiocyanate (KSCN). I heated the test tube, and the KSCN melted, and at that point a very violent reaction started, and quite some white smoke was produced.

I was wondering what is happening here. The only think I can imagine is formation of sulphide and cyanide, so:

2 Na + KSCN --> Na2S + KCN

Is this right ?

If so, it might be a valuable method for producing cyanides, although the reaction is violent and possible cyanide smoke was produced. My fume hood sucked it all towards the skye, but I used very small amounts (MAX 10 mg of cyanide was produced, if at all this reaction is right). Im not wanting to produce the stuff, but as many of you do want it, and the starting materials are not really expensive, it might be worth looking into. But the violence of the reaction might be a problem.

Afterwards, I added some bleach to destroy possible cyanides and sulfides. There were few very small pieces of black material floating arounds, wich are probably carbon.

Maybe one should try the reaction with other strong reducers like magnesium and zinc. I will soon try zinc, I just bought some.

[Edited on 22-11-2008 by Jor]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 09:46

KSCN is very hygroscopic, so the violence of the reaction may also be due to the presence of hot water. But it is worth investigating this reaction.

A very reliable test for cyanide is the following:
- Add 3 ml of 10% HCl
- Heat until it has a temperature of 50 C or so.
- Stick your nose in the tube and take a big breathe.
- If the result of this is a dead Jor then there certainly was cyanide in the mix :P

Another good - and somewhat less destructive - method for testing for cyanide is the following:
- Dissolve a TINY amount of ferrous sulfate or ferrous chloride or Mohr's salt in 10% HCl (must be high grade acid).
- Add a TINY pinch of Na2SO3 in order to assure that the iron is not oxidized to the +3 oxidation state. When you smell the liquid, there should be a clearly noticeable, but not a pungent smell of SO2.
- Add this liquid to the liquid with the cyanide. At the very low pH, sulfide does not interfere, it does not precipitate with the iron. The amount of iron should be less than half the amount of cyanide, hence the remark about a TINY amount.
- Dropwise add 3% H2O2. When there is cyanide, then the liquid turns deep blue/green, due to formation of [FeFe(CN)6](-).

This test works well, even in the presence of HSCN. This is because the Fe-SCN complex is labile, while the cyanoferrate complex is very inert. The only thing is that there should not be more iron, than can be consumed by the cyanide. If there is too much iron, then it will for the deep-red Fe-SCN complex and that interferes with your test.
This test is a really sensitive test, the color of the [FeFe(CN)6](-) complex is amazingly strong, and this complex also is very stable, even at very low pH.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Pomzazed
Hazard to Self

Mood: Acylated

biggrin.gif posted on 22-11-2008 at 10:31

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
A very reliable test for cyanide is the following:
- Add 3 ml of 10% HCl
- Heat until it has a temperature of 50 C or so.
- Stick your nose in the tube and take a big breathe.
- If the result of this is a dead Jor then there certainly was cyanide in the mix :P

lol!

Don't stare at me making fumes... I'm just experimenting with some gas...
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 10:46

I do not have iron salts :P

The first method will work, but I'll leave that to someone else ;)

If this reaction works, there will be formation of sulfide.
This can be detected by smell, but I'd rather not try (Mix of HCN and H2S)

I can dissolve the reaction mix in water and detect sulfide with lead(II)acetate. However, please answer my e-mail woelen, before I can get the lead(II)acetate ;) (I have a question about my PbO there).
Or maybe cobalt forms a very dark precitipate with sulfide? I'm not sure.

EDIT: I just realised that lead cannot work, it will form a precitipate with thiocyanate. Im not sure about cobalt. I should try that tomorrow.

Or maybe I will just add an oxidiser, oxidising the sulfide to sulfur, wich can be detected. However, I'm not sure what oxidisers oxidise sulfide to sulfur.

By the way, that detection method for cyanide sounds interesting. Maybe I will make some iron salt with my iron fillings.
However, I wonder if its really [FeFe(CN)]- ... Because won't you just get prussian blue. Are you sure it's not some peroxo-complex?

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 20:00

How can you not have iron salts? There's iron in your *house* for God's sakes...

TIm

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2008 at 20:07

Acidified Copper salt solutions with the addition of Hydrogen Sulfide produce a Copper sulfate precipitate.
So, I'd assume if you mixed Copper chloride/sulfate with Hydrochloric acid/sulfuric acid and then add your mixture to that you'd see the copper sulfide precipitate out - assuming that there was in fact Na2S in your mixture.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 01:31

As far as I know, copper also precitipates out with thiocyanate. And it also does with cyanide as CuCN, with formation of cyanogen. I will try some test in a few days.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 03:30

As described in first post, I added a small amount of bleach to the reaction mixture, and I let stand overnight. Today I had disposed of it, and there was, as soon as I shaked it, and put it out of the hood, a strong smell of H2S. This indicates to me that this reaction might seriously work in the way I thought it would.

Can you woelen, do the experiment, maybe with NH4SCN if thats less hygroscopic, and test for cyanide?
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 12:57

I also tried the experiment. I did the following:
- Take a spatula full of KSCN
- Heat this material in a clean test tube, until it melts and forms a colorless liquid. Initially some water vapor was released, but finally, a clear colorless liquid was obtained of molten KSCN which is dry. Let the solid cool down and solidify.
- Add a small piece of sodium (appr. 3x3x3 mm3) and heat again.
- The sodium melts and the KSCN also melts somewhat later. The sodium slowly reacts, and the liquid becomes yellow. The sodium slowly seems to dissolve in the molten KSCN. In the mean time, the test tube was swirled continuously over the flame in order to keep the liquid material moving and mixing.
- At a certain point, suddenly the reaction becomes extremely violent, the piece of sodium pops out of the liquid and catches fire :o. It falls back in the liquid and then it explodes, multiple smaller droplets being sprayed around, which catch fire again and a crackling noise is produced. I had a kind of fireworks in the test tube :o
- The fireworks lasted for one second or so and then the reaction was over. A lot of white smoke was in the test tube.

After cooling down, I added water. All solid material dissolved. I obtained a yellow somewhat turbid liquid.

When some of this liquid is added to acid, a strong smell of H2S is produced. So, there definitely is sulfide in the liquid.

I was not capable of detecting any cyanide. The iron-test was completely negative. The liquid remains pale yellow and adding even the tiniest drop of H2O2 results in formation of a deep red liquid. So, no ferroferricyanide complex is formed at all, all iron immediately goes to the thiocyanato-complex.

Another test of cyanide is added bleach, which should result in formation of some gas (nitrogen). No gas is produced at all. The liquid becomes pale yellow and turbid. A lot of sulphur is precipitated.

So, I'm quite sure that no cyanide is made in this reaction. What IS produced is something I must think about. At the moment I simply don't know.

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 13:09

Your observation match mine :P

I also had a very violent reaction, and then there was no reaction anymore.
Then I had a lot of smoke as well.
I observed a H2S odour.

AND.... by complete luck I came past a reaction with sodium and sodium thiocyanate, in Vogel. Page 1039, when I was reading the copper phthalocyanine synthesis yesterday in bed (I have a Vogel book).
In Vogel it is described that elements in organic compounds can be detected by heating with Na-metal. They say that it is essential to use an excess of Na, otherwise nitrogen and sulfur may combine forming NaSCN. With excess Na, NaCn is formed:

2 Na + NaSCN --> NaCN + Na2S

I can tell you that I did not know of this page before. ]
I was doing a whole set of experiments with Na-metal with many materials a few days ago.

I will do some experiments as well tomorrow on this subject.
Maybe I'll try the reaction with a LARGE excess of sodium metal, and see what happens. I must be prepared for fireworks though :cool:

However, it's getting really cold inthe garage now (5 C). WHen I tried to pour some acetic acid, at once all the liquid solidified formign beautiful crystals :D
Imlooking forward to the summer!

By the way , H2S gets on my nerves, I produced a VERY small amount in thsi reaction, and my whole garage stinked, as well as my house as it was in my clothes...
Besides, I never know the concentration of this stuff by smell.

[Edited on 23-11-2008 by Jor]

[Edited on 23-11-2008 by Jor]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 13:46

Yes, my lab also gets cold. I have DMSO (melting point 18 C, so very close to acetic acid), and the bottle is filled with a big chunk of frozen DMSO. This chemical can only be used in summer time.

Be careful with the Na-NaSCN experiment when you use larger amounts of sodium. Keep in mind that scaled up experiments can behave VERY different. Often, there is an exponential increase of violence of a reaction with linearly increasing amounts of reagents. A cracked test tube, with glass shattered around and small burning droplets of molten sodium is not fun at all. So, please be careful. Perform the experiment behind a glass wall (you can buy special hard to break laminated glass, we have such glass in the door of the bedroom of one of our kids).

Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2008 at 14:28

I think the sash of my hood will do just fine.
I think I will use a smaller amount of KSCN instead of a larger amount of Na.
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 24-11-2008 at 13:33

Perhaps if you scale down the amount of KSCN, while keeping the amount of sodium the same as before. You'd have the desired excess of sodium metal, but less danger.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far

Go To Top