Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High Speed Photoreceiver?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 27-11-2008 at 07:37
High Speed Photoreceiver?

This is such a simple question I had to think twice before posting it but I can't find the answer anywhere.

What is this used for exactly?

I know it has something to do with fiberoptics but it says that it can also accept input from "free space" so there must be other uses. Is it just an amplifier?

At first I thought it was a detector for determining the frequencies of light sources, but now I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2008 at 09:18

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
I know it has something to do with fiberoptics but it says that it can also accept input from "free space" so there must be other uses. Is it just an amplifier?
Yes. It's a broad-spectrum, very fast amplifier. You'd use the free-space input with a beam line or analogous optics train.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 27-11-2008 at 17:08

Actually, its a device for extracting money from optics researchers. :D

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2008 at 23:38

It's more of a research tool for any experimental lashup where you wish to detect moderately fast pulses of light. Things related to fluorescence, bap a sample with a short pulse of light and observe the timing of the excited state, stuff like that.

For messing with fiber optics in the more typical data transmission mode, you'll want detectors similar to these http://www.u2t.de/en/products/

Go To Top