Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Strange glassware
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 11:44
Strange glassware

A friend of mine acquired a beautiful but very strange piece of glassware. He has no clue what it is used for, nor do I.

Does any one of you have an idea what it is used for? The image is available as attachment.

Het Rare Ding.jpg - 21kB

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 04:11

could the photo be any more out of focus, try handing the camera to the person that doesn't have Parkinson's disease.
As glassware identification is a hobby of mine i opened this thread with glee, only to find this photo obviously taken by someone who was angle grinding at the same time.
lol
smiling
mark

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 07:39

'Doesn't look too blurry to me but my tft is only 17". . .
It's obviously a thing-ama-jig and a good-looking one, at that!
Giggling sounds. . .
JayPee
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 07:56

Typical speciallty glassware found on ebay

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 13:36

I will ask him to make a better picture of the glassware, which is more close up and in focus.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Panache
could the photo be any more out of focus, try handing the camera to the person that doesn't have Parkinson's disease.
As glassware identification is a hobby of mine i opened this thread with glee, only to find this photo obviously taken by someone who was angle grinding at the same time.
lol
smiling
mark

Oh yes, I want to add that this remark is not regarded funny at all. My friend, who made this picture, DOES have Parkinson's disease, and at times, this disease severely limits his abilities to do what he wants to do. This is a horrible disease and you'd better be thankful that you don't have this.

He read your response and was upset quite a bit by this. Please think twice before you write stuff like this. This is not the first time that I notice such an attitude with you. Up to now, it was not me or a friend of mine, who was touched by this, but now I just felt it is good for you to know this.

harrydrez
Harmless

Mood: content

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:28

I'd imagine it has something to do with gasses. I wish I could be of more help, oh and I don't think the photo is so terrible.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 12:36

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen

He read your response and was upset quite a bit by this. Please think twice before you write stuff like this. This is not the first time that I notice such an attitude with you. Up to now, it was not me or a friend of mine, who was touched by this, but now I just felt it is good for you to know this.

Are you not being just a little harsh, woelen; Panache did indicate that he wasn't being serious, and he obviously couldn't have known your friend had this awful condition.
I'm sure we all knew his remarks were made in jest.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 13:06

Well, this thread is going towards the detritus-level. I'll ask my friend to make a better picture, which is more focussed, and I'll start a new thread. I do not want to continue this discussion, it's leading nowhere...

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 13:15

The picture looks only slightly off-focus, woelen, and I see no real evidence of camera-shake, but I'm curious about the amber colouration in the central bulb.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 14:40

At first when I saw the photo, I wondered if you had indeed taken it (you've spoiled me with your photos on the website). I'm horrible with digital cameras so I empathize.

The amber colour in the centre bulb looks more like gold to me, anyone else see that? I wonder if this piece of equipment has something to do with gases?

I think its identification will have to wait until a better photograph is made available.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 15:18

The part on the far right looks like a pump. But it's difficult to identify without a close up of the middle piece.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 16:17

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the middle piece looks like it might be a manostat of some kind.
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 15:58

Maybe its a sinus draining device.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 16:30

I agree with bfesser: the bit on the right looks like a pump. The grey thingy under the piston looks like the inlet valve, the amber thingy looks like the outlet valve.
That would make the bulb on the left a pressure reservoir, if the bottom left hand tube was closed off: the top lefthand tube being the exit for the fluid. The bottom lefthand tube would double as a drain for emptying/ washing.

[Edited on 11-12-2008 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 13:22

Quote:
Quote:
lol
smiling
mark

Oh yes, I want to add that this remark is not regarded funny at all. My friend, who made this picture, DOES have Parkinson's disease, and at times, this disease severely limits his abilities to do what he wants to do. This is a horrible disease and you'd better be thankful that you don't have this.

You are absolutely correct here, even if your friend did not have parkinson's disease the comment was in poor tact and generally just heartless, from just about every angle one would care to view it. It is understanderstable it upset him, i was inconsiderate in writing it.
I need to stop making jokes on the forum period.
Please forward my sincere, contrite apology to your friend.
Also thank-you for pointing it out, as i would probably never have cross examined it myself otherwise and hence probably made a similar insensitive comment at some stage in the future.
mark

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 14:32

Panache, thanks for this response. My friend accepts your apology and thinks it is good what you have written here.

He also made a few new pictures and these are much more in focus and with these new pictures you (and others) hopefully can give more information. The pictures follow in a few separate posts as attachments.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 14:36
picture 1

glaswerk1.jpg - 46kB

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 14:37
picture 2

glaswerk2.jpg - 46kB

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 14:38
picture 3

glaswerk3.jpg - 76kB

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 14:39
Picture 4 -- the last one of this series

glaswerk4.jpg - 83kB

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 15:53

It looks like a pump. The black stopper and the yellow stopper, both internal, are in a configuration that allows the plunger to act as a piston pump. If it was used as a gas metering pump, my guess is that the black stopper might be magnetically lifted, rather than relying on the pressure difference caused by lifting the piston. That could be tested. Is the black piece magnetic?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 18:20

It doesn't just look like a pump. It is a pump.

The part wrapped with cord is an old school style plunger, like they used to use in very old glass syringes. When the nozzle is submerged in a liquid and the plunger is pulled up, the black one-way valve lifts, allowing liquid to enter. When depressed, the valve shuts, but the other valve (the glass one in the middle... it's also a check valve) is forced upward by the pressure of the liquid, allowing it to pass into the strangely shaped bulb on the left. The apparatus is obviously in the upright orientation (relative to the camera, not gravity) in the last picture. What the purpose of the bulb on the left . . . I have no idea.

It's obviously custom made, so you may never find out it's original purpose. Due to the check valves which are now made visible by the excellent new pictures, however, we can conclude without a doubt that it's a pump. From whom did he acquire it? Due to the plunger, which probably wouldn't stand up too well to harsh chemicals, I'd venture a guess at some sort of medical use.

Remove the stopper carefully, then the plunger and determine if the cord is glass fiber or plant fiber. Also, check very carefully for markings of any kind on the glass. Even if it's custom made, someone probably put some sort of trademark on it somewhere, although it may be mostly worn off by age.
Panache
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2008 at 17:09

The final large bulb type assembly looks typical for a device used to facilitate addition and mixing of a minor component to a liquid stream. As the liquid from the pump meters past the bottom of the inlet type fitting within the bulb, it drags along some of the material in the tube, mixing it with the liquid from the pump.
This however is a guess.

givemeliberty
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 02:19

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol
smiling
mark

You are absolutely correct here, even if your friend did not have parkinson's disease the comment was in poor tact and generally just heartless, from just about every angle one would care to view it. It is understanderstable it upset him, i was inconsiderate in writing it.
I need to stop making jokes on the forum period.
Please forward my sincere, contrite apology to your friend.
Also thank-you for pointing it out, as i would probably never have cross examined it myself otherwise and hence probably made a similar insensitive comment at some stage in the future.
mark

I'm sorry, I found it hilarious. Some people make a lot of money standing in front of an audience and making jokes about mentally challenged, the handicapped, minorities and just about everything else under the sun. I have epilepsy and I have cracked up over some jokes about that. Methinks someone needs to lighten up.

The legitimate powers
of government extend to such acts
only as are injurious to others.
But it does me no injury
for my neighbor to say
there are twenty gods, or no God.
It neither picks my pocket
nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top