shadow
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-11-2011 at 18:30

http://www.postapplescientific.com

tert-Butyl Alcohol, Reagent, 500mL - Single Unit
$31.62
PAS-C-2300-0500-01-L
Limited quantities permitted when shipping by Ground service. A $2.50 handling charge applies to this product.
Hazard charges apply for this product if shipped by Air. Hazard charges are at least $40 plus the regular shipping charge as UPS dictates that the Air Hazard charge of $30. The remainder is for the Air Shipper packaging that is required for handling the material.
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 11:29
A source for t-butanol

Hello everyone, I have been excitedly reading through the potassium thread and have all the stuff needed to do a few trials of my own except T-butanol, I have looked many places and aside from making it from methyl magnesium bromide and acetone I cannot find a source for the home chemist. There are a couple of over the counter cleaners that have T-butanol in them, one of which I found in a computer store for 20 dollars a bottle, seems to not be worth the price with all the other crap that was in there.

So could someone help direct me to source of T-butanol?

Thank you
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 11:51

Post Apple Scientific

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 14:09

Didn't know about them, that's a great resource Magpie thanks.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 15:52

You're welcome, hk. I wasn't aware of this fine source either until it was mentioned in passing by Evil Lurker several years ago.

I have been somewhat protective of these good sources, afraid that they would be abused. But my thinking now is that we should give them as much business as we can. Poor economics is probably more of a threat than the 3-letter agencies.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 20:14

Bump w/reluctance...mom or rather her attorneys is (eventually) a bigger threat...when they say, well, fuck this.

When I first saw this thread, I thought, oh someone posting something. Oh, a source request thread in disguise, great, and it worked. Bitch bitch bitch
bitch bitch bitch
ok
that was predictable. Carry on. IMHO liability potential from "us" exceeds profit potential for most of this sort who will deal with individuals.

[Edited on 16-4-2012 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
hames
Harmless

Mood: as was

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 01:53

some brands of glowsticks contain tert-butanol I don't know what percentages though,where I'm from t-butanol is unobtainable,though I managed scavenge some.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
16-4-2012 at 07:19
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 22:00
t-amyl alcohol

does anyone know where you can get t-amyl alcohol. Post Apple Scientific doesn't carry it.

I know this thread is on t-butanol... but I'm guess that those who want this teriary alcohol is doing it to make potassium. I want to try it with t-amyl alcohol, but I can't find any source for it.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 10:36

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
IMHO liability potential from "us" exceeds profit potential for most of this sort who will deal with individuals.

Do you have evidence of this, or is it, as you say, IMHO?

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Bump w/reluctance...mom or rather her attorneys is (eventually) a bigger threat...when they say, well, fuck this.

When I first saw this thread, I thought, oh someone posting something. Oh, a source request thread in disguise, great, and it worked. Bitch bitch bitch
bitch bitch bitch
ok
that was predictable. Carry on. IMHO liability potential from "us" exceeds profit potential for most of this sort who will deal with individuals.

[Edited on 16-4-2012 by S.C. Wack]
Pardon my asking but where did this come from and who/what are you referencing? How can an alcohol cause anything near this much trouble? Its used in bloody Glowsticks for crying out loud. call me what you will but still: I don't see the fuss.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 13:19

The issue is whether or not to publicly reveal valuable sources (chemical suppliers who will sell to individuals). This is an issue which gets debated periodically on this forum. Perhaps it is time for this important subject to get another good airing.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
I don't see the fuss.

It's hard to believe but it was an off-topic reply; couldn't resist trolling, that's all. No doubt, all K made by us will be made not-K uneventfully; no worries about the butanol then. Companies that send some degree of unusual and/or reactive items to residences may face the relevant degree of possible legal entanglement these days. I wouldn't have posted if PAS was a soap making supplier.

If some criminal case involving some agency happened, one phone call or letter would put the company on notice - which is a thing, especially from the DEA. Maybe they would restrict only parts of their catalog in such a case. Or not.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
does anyone know where you can get t-amyl alcohol. Post Apple Scientific doesn't carry it.

I know this thread is on t-butanol... but I'm guess that those who want this teriary alcohol is doing it to make potassium. I want to try it with t-amyl alcohol, but I can't find any source for it.

I found it once on a site that dealt in research chemicals. It was listed as "2m2b" or 2-methyl-2-butanol rather than "tert-amyl". Apparently some people drink a few mL of it to mimic ethanol intoxication...

I think the site was called "purechems" or "puritychems" or something similar to that. I think it might have been a .uk site because their items were listed in pounds. I also somewhat recall that they wouldn't sell to me for some reason... Maybe they couldn't ship it to me
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 17:53

Ahh, forgive me then: I meant no disrespect.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  

I know this thread is on t-butanol... but I'm guess that those who want this teriary alcohol is doing it to make potassium.

As incredibly nerdy as this sounds, I actually got some t-butanol simply because of its interesting properties (such as, it freezes near room temperature). That, and the fact that tertiary alcohols are just really neat - chemical properties and everything. There are some interesting qualitative / test reactions that can be done with it IIRC.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by Pyridinium  

As incredibly nerdy as this sounds, I actually got some t-butanol simply because of its interesting properties (such as, it freezes near room temperature). That, and the fact that tertiary alcohols are just really neat - chemical properties and everything. There are some interesting qualitative / test reactions that can be done with it IIRC.

That's the reason I bought some also. :)

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 08:31

But alas Magpie, where did you buy it?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 12:46

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
But alas Magpie, where did you buy it?

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Post Apple Scientific

I have already given a source upthread. Why do you want to know where I bought it?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 13:48

Very sorry, I missed that. I wanted to know where you acquired it to get a feel of the sort of places in the UK that might a) have and b) sell it to me.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 05:31

Apparently its being sold on ebay now.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320945330818?var=lv&ltyp=Al...
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
The general SN1 substitutions of MTBE go like this (where HNu is the nucleophile):

tBu-O-Me + HNu ---(acid catalysis)---> tBuNu + MeOH

In the case of HNu = HCl:

tBu-O-Me + HCl -----> tBuCl + MeOH

Since methanol is a primary alcohol, it can not undergo SN1 reactions, though it can react under the same conditions in other ways, depending on the conditions and nature of the nucleophile and catalyst (e.g., if HNu is CH3COOH, then it can obviously get esterified, while if HNu is HI it can undergo SN2 substitution to yield methyl iodide, etc.).

PS: In context of another thread an advice for those that have no distillation apparatus: N-(t-butyl)acetamide is a solid at room temperature (mp 96-98°C). So, if you wander what else you can do with MTBE, do this using the Ritter reaction on acetonitrile. If you have no acetonitrile, you can use urea as the nucleophile (the patent number for Ritter reactions using urea is already posted in some other thread).

I was looking for some posts at SyntheticPages and found the contribution "Esterification and Ritter reaction in one pot of cyanoacetic acid; N-tert butyl malonic acid methyl ester" by R. Ramakrishna (DOI: 10.1039/SP532). I remembered this post where I suggested the use of MTBE for Ritter reactions and ironically in the same post I also speculate that carboxylic acids would be esterified to their methyl esters under such SN1 conditions. Nice to see how someone actually applied this property in a preparative reaction, and with excellent yields as well. Looks like an interesting option for the average amateur application of MTBE.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 26-7-2013 at 05:51

Isobutane is found in some camp stove fuel mixtures.

Radical bromination of isobutane results in a 100% yield of tert-bromo-isobutane. Radical chlorination results in yields nearly as high.

And that is the interesting thing, because apparently radical halogenation can be very selective:
source: http://www.grossmont.edu/martinlarter/Chemistry%20231/Reference/Alkenes7_oxidation_given_Lecture21[1].pdf

"For a chlorine atom, abstraction of a tertiary hydrogen is favored over abstraction of
a primary hydrogen by a factor of about 5 on a per hydrogen basis."

Then just react this with aqueous base to get tert-butyl alcohol. (converting a chlorine group is more difficult, requiring hours of reflux with NaOH, or a CuI catalyst, but still takes 1 hour reflux)

[Edited on 26-7-2013 by AndersHoveland]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top