Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reference Literature
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

thumbup.gif posted on 30-11-2003 at 00:10
Reference Literature

Is a good thing

Is there some electronic way to get access to the big ones.....

(for free)?

I think I would be able to answer alot of my own questions if I had a Merck Manual on hand but.......:(

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-11-2003 at 05:37

You might be able to get an"out of date" copy relatively cheap. Mine is a 10th edition and I think they are up to the 12th by now.
(I also have a bootleg copy of the CD rom version "liberated" from work, but I prefer the paper copy)
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 30-11-2003 at 18:34

The Merck Index is up to the 13th edition. You can find the electronic version on various FTP sites (maybe P2P programs too) but it omits a lot of information that the paper version contains. The only really cheap way I've found of getting technical books is buying them from thrift stores, when said stores happen to have them. Used book stores are more savvy about pricing, so you're not likely to find the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics for $3 there (as I did at a local Goodwill store). Still, used book stores are cheaper than buying brand new. Ebay can be a decent source of books too.

Some commoner chemistry texts are printed in super-cheap editions for use in India, and I've ordered some books from Indian booksellers online. I found the 5th edition of Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry for something like $15 US. Unfortunately, the shipping costs will easily double the price (for buyers in the US) and the books have been slow to arrive; I'm still waiting for mine.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

biggrin.gif posted on 1-12-2003 at 15:20
Free e-books!!!

I have found a source of electronic texts. They were written with the aim of being a DIY manual for amateur scientists.

I am posting the source for them assuming that this forum uses its title as its mission statement and it is just a coincidence that the bulk of the material available is chemistry related.

I beleive the one of the joys of amateur science comes from its multidisciplinary nature.

Electronics are a field I have neglected, but one that would be invaluable to me in constructing/repairing my own apparatus.

I hope that someone benefits from these books as I am. No reagent or apparatus can replace knowledge...

And no problem can withstand the judicious application of it.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

mad.gif posted on 8-12-2003 at 17:00
DAMNIT!

Dear God!

I found this forum through a search engine. It brought me directly to a post and I had NO idea that there was a MAIN SITE

the MAIN SITE has all the answers to all the questions and all the links I wanted.

I have spent HOURS wondering why some of the simple questions I was asking were being ignored.

I really wish that the link to the main site was a little bigger!

I spent SO MANY HOURS searching for something like this or THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF NITROGEN that now that I have found this I want to tear my tear my hair out in a mixture of frustration and releif and Joy.

Damn.Damn DAMN!

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-12-2003 at 20:02
Used and out-of-print books

I tried finding stuff on e-Bay with no luck. Then I searched "used books" on Google and came up with such jewels as "Abebooks." Since, I have been buying old books like crazy, including Vogel's "Practical Organic Chemistry" in excellent condition, from a US bookstore for $8 (sorry, Polverone!). Places like Abebooks are apparently tapped into all the used book stores in the USA, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia.

Go To Top