Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simulating MLCT bands
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 13-12-2008 at 11:22
Simulating MLCT bands

Greetings, I have an absurd question: Is it possible to simulate charge transfer absorbency bands of some transitional metal complexes? For complexes that are nearly perfectly octahedral with simple ligands, or similar, I can see it being possible. But,when you go deeper into the d-block and get asymmetric complexes with more complicated ligands I wouldn't know where to start. Actually, even with simple complexes I wouldn't know where to start, although I am looking into it. All of the tools are available to interpret MLCT absorbance, but I have not seen anything regarding the reverse process: prediction.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If anyone has any thoughts on this, please share them. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: So it appears the answer is in in time dependent density functional theory. Time to read and see how lost I get.

[Edited on 13-12-2008 by Swany]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2008 at 01:50

You will have to divulge into molecular modeling. Sounds like a job for Gaussian with the right base set and parameters. Be wary that DFT calculations are quite time consuming.

Alternatively you might try GAMESS with a suitable base set.

[Edited on 14-12-2008 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top