Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who owns our U2U's?
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 15-12-2008 at 21:35
Who owns our U2U's?

And also are the deleted ones kept for any period of time or perhaps indefinitely. I am not particularly adverse to any answer or other, just curious.

Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 02:23

Technically, Polverone owns all content on this board. My sincere belief is that he is a kind and benign web-hoster who would respect the privacy of it's users.

I would guess that once the U2Us are deleted, they are deleted for good; this is based on the assumption that the board software is more geared towards low strain on a server <i>versus</i> keeping correspondences for nefarious reasons.

What's the matter? afraid of our lurid & steamy messages getting out? :P

Caveat Orator
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 09:44

Notwithstanding the fact that Polverone owns all content, as long as users are allowed to delete their own PMs at will, they pretty much retain control, which is not quite the same as ownership but pretty close. I'd hate to have to live on the difference.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-12-2008 at 12:05

I download database dumps at intervals to back up the board. Deleted U2U messages could live on in those dumps, but I have no intention to distribute them. Remember that Sciencemadness is hosted on shared web space and that nosy ISP employees, people armed with a security exploit, or officials armed with a warrant could theoretically read your messages. If you're really worried I suggest encrypting your U2Us before sending.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
kmno4
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2008 at 09:27

Few months ago I found (by chance) a "bug" in some russian forum: all private messages were available for everybody. I felt very unpleasantly because I could read my own PMs online....... :mad:
This list of PMs could be revealed by inserting appropriate URL into browser adress bar: http://name-of forum/priv.php
or by searching some words via Google (as I did) - copy of this list was cached by Google !!
Now it is fixed by their administrator.

[Edited on 17-12-2008 by kmno4]
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 19-12-2008 at 21:00

I'm not concerned about anything, just interested, is the ownership defined as property under the property laws of the country the servers are located in, whatever that is, or under the laws of the country the ISP trades from or under the laws of the country Polverone trades or operates from. Are disputes over the data funneled through some international body or through other ways.
I have absolutely no dispute or worry specific to these questions i'm just new to this forum game and its taken me til now to start thinking about the nature of it all. Its very nebulous, i mean if i post a new method for doing something here does that mean SM has some IP claim over it? Would for instance i have difficulty in proving that the name i post under, ie Panache, is actually me, without the co-operation of Polverone?
Again just thoughts pertaining to nothing specifically.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 20-12-2008 at 08:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Panache
Would for instance i have difficulty in proving that the name i post under, ie Panache, is actually me, without the co-operation of Polverone?

If that is the case then it would be a good thing, IMO. The chances of benefiting from that are most likely much lower than the chances of detriment.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Go To Top