Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crystallization from SuperSat Soln: endo or exo?
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2008 at 08:06
Crystallization from SuperSat Soln: endo or exo?

Quick question: is the crystallization of a salt from a supersaturated solution (saturated at boiling, cooled to room temp) an endothermic or exothermic event?
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2008 at 08:25

I think it may depend on the salt? Although if all salts behaves the same I would say exothermic as enthalpy of lattice formation is always negative, and although this applies to forming a lattice from gaseous ions, I beleive it could in principle be applied to a supersaturated solution as there is more solute than there should be and so not all of it can be properly solvated? Also the crystallisation of NaOAc is exothermic ("hot ice") and although this does not mean crystallisation of other salts from supersaturated solutions are also exothermic, it is an example of one that is.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-12-2008 at 13:03

Depends on heat of solvation. Salts like sodium chlorate and ammonium nitrate not only dissolve readily but absorb a lot of heat in so doing. The statistical mechanics description of this would be, there are more states available (I suppose states of water molecules moving around ions and ions moving through water), therefore the heat energy has spread out into those available states, with the result that the apparent temperature has dropped. If you were to seperate them again, let's say by evaporating the water (being careful to subtract the heat of vaporization carried away in so doing) and crystallizing the salt, it should heat up, because you are removing those extra states and constricting the heat energy, resulting in an apparent excess.

Ironically, this suggests if there were a material that, when dissolved in water, it absorbed more energy than it takes to boil the same amount of water (notice it would get *extremely* cold, including freezing the water, so such a material probably cannot exist), a concentrated solution of it could be heated to the boiling point and evaporated, the heat source removed, and all the water would exothermically evaporate away as the steam leaves crystalline material behind. In a less extreme case, this in general suggests that such materials aren't all that fond of water; but we know not only that ammonium nitrate takes some heat to crystallize, but that it's difficult to remove all the water, and it is, in fact, so fond of water that it absorbs it from the atmosphere!

I hate thermodynamics...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top