Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade Furnace
javagamer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2008 at 20:46
Homemade Furnace

Greetings,
I'm looking into make a simple homemade furnace to open up a lot of new experiments to me. I don't necessarily have a single use for it, though being able to turn CaCO3 into CaO and melt metals. I'm looking for something able to achieve temperatures over 1000C, preferably around 1200-1300. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to some instructions on how to build something capable of this, preferably cheap and VERY SIMPLE. I have little experience building things and while I would like to be able to put together something complex I'd rather start as simple as possible. Also, of course cheaper and more efficient is good, but I'll readily sacrifice a bit of both to keep it simple.
Thanks in advance,
Javagamer
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 25-12-2008 at 22:28

Try an oxy-acetylene torch...
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 26-12-2008 at 00:47

I made a tube furnace myself, I can only recommend this to everyone. It has opened up many possibilities, including giving me an unlimited supply of SO3 and oleum from NaHSO4. It could likely also make phosphorus, though I have not yet tried this.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9705&a...

There is also a long electric furnace thread here, where people have built mostly top-loading electric kilns suitable for melting metals and heating things in crucibles.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
nitric
Harmless

Mood: nitrous

[*] posted on 26-12-2008 at 02:54

javagamer
you could purchase one or make one out of a quartz tube and nichrome wire with a thermocouple or use a oxy-acetylene torch on a quartz vessel.
javagamer
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-12-2008 at 07:33

Just a way to heat up a crucible would be good, I guess the quartz vessel oxy-acetylene idea works, though using just electric sounds nice. The tube furnace sounds like something to work up to, I'd rather not order custom parts, plus my electronic skills are rather lacking. The top-loading electric kiln sounded interesting, but didn't look like there was enough info to build one. Also, where can I find crucibles for temps around 1200+C?
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:02

Well I have a UK supply for refractory kiln building cement if you are in the UK he will dispatch.

Go To Top