Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beginnings: Websites for Apparatus/Reagents
Aurus
Harmless

Mood: Oxidative

[*] posted on 31-12-2008 at 06:56
Beginnings: Websites for Apparatus/Reagents

I am an amateur chemist who is just beginning his foray into practical amateur chemistry. Unfortunately, the country in which I live in is a small country in Europe, therefore I am unable to procure reagents and glassware. Perhaps you could help me by informing me about websites which would ship to Europe such things?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 09:31

Keten.pl and keten.org are Polish chemicals sites, and may be related; there's also a Swedish site called nilsson and lee, mostly pyro-related.
If you're in, say, the Nederlands, it should be easy.
They'll probably ship, even to Ireland, but I haven't tried them yet.
No need to go across the pond.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 09:43

In which country are you? If you are in the Netherlands (as I am), then you are quite lucky and things are quite good. There is a good seller over here (http://www.labstuff.nl), but chemicals are not shipped outside of the Netherlands (maybe to Belgium, but not to other countries). I have good experience with this seller.

Another good supplier, which is online again (after a nasty raid in July last year) is http://www.lippert-chemikalien.de

With the latter I also have very good experience. I ordered chemicals from him several times without problems. Even stuff like thionyl chloride is shipped, as long as the destination is inside the EU and can be reached with ground transport. All chemicals are shipped, perfectly packed according to ADR regulations.

[Edited on 1-1-09 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 09:55

I live in Cyprus, which is the second smallest country in Europe, with a population of 700,000 people. Unfortunately, it is difficult to acquire chemicals due to a small population.
Thank you for your suggestions.

[Edited on 1-1-2009 by Aurus]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 10:19

Hmm, then I am afraid that the links I supplied are of no help to you.

Try this one. It is in the USA, but he ships worldwide: www.artcraftchemicals.com
I also have good experience with this one. The selection of chemicals from this supplier is somewhat limited, but I'm quite sure there are interesting items between them.

The chemicals you should try to find locally are the strong acids and sodium hydroxide, but good chance that you can find them in hardware stores.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 10:39

Thanks for the links, woelen.
The German supplier even has acetic anhydride which surprised me.
If it's the chemikalienshop.de, it's good to see it up again.
Pricier than the Polish suppliers, though. . .
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 11:08

Yes, it is the same as chemikalien-shop.de. He sells exactly the same set of chemicals (except GBL, which is removed from the list) for the same prices. The only thing which has changed is that purchase of ANY oxidizer now needs an ID and a declaration of intended usage. But this only is true for oxidizers. Stuff like red P, thionyl chloride and many others can be shipped without hassle.

Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2009 at 05:21

I will look into your suggestions. The link you sent me, Woelen, appears very promising.
Promethium
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2009 at 12:31

Lippert Lehrmittel looks to be a very nice supplier. I'm a bit concerned about the raids though. Do you think I will be in the safe if I stay away from the oxidizers and other obvious no-go's (GBL etc.)? I have nothing illegal in my possession but the local anti-terror force are known to tear apartments apart and drag people out with hoods on, something I think would affect my relationship to my neighbours.

I have found a lot of apparatus on ebay, especially the german one is nice and many sellers will ship to EU and some even outside if you ask them.

[Edited on 2-1-2009 by Promethium]
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 07:59

If you are in Germany, then I'm afraid that you will never be safe if you order chemicals online, regardless the supplier. If you are outside of Germany, but in another EU-location, then things look better.
In 2005 there were 1700 raids and in 2008 there were 600 raids again. Both razzia's were aimed at people ordering chemicals online. Both razzia's were limited to Germany and to my opinion they were really bad. Even persons who just ordered copper sulfate have been raided.

The few raids outside of Germany really were directed towards drug-labs (more specificly, GHB production sites, using GBL as precursor reagent, which was offered by Lippert). In the Netherlands we also have a few raids per year, but every time when this happens, then it really is good that there was a raid, because these raids were either XTC-labs, GHB-labs, or people storings 100's of kilos of oxidizers, metal powders and that kind of stuff, who make their own fireworks in a simple shed without any decent protection.

Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 08:49

Regarding the fact that I live in Cyprus, how will I know if, by what I am buying, the police will knock on my door and confiscate my property, or add me to their list of potential suspects for crimes? Even if what I am buying is as innocuous as copper sulfate.
This is a major concern of mine, since if I do order through the internet, I might get into trouble.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-1-2009 at 09:12

Its a risk that always is associated with buying things online. Unfortunately, the political climate is not good for home chemistry. No one can ever give 100% certainty that you will not be raided. I, however, think that the German situation is exceptional and certainly not common in the EU (and Cyprus now is part of the EU). Especially if you order from sites like www.artcraftchemicals.com, which are geared towards photography, then I think that the risk is not large. In your case you also have no other options. Webshops like Lippert or Labstuff will not ship chems to your location and locally you probably have very limited options of buying anything beyond the really basic stuff. So, stick to the photography raw chemical shops.

Maybe www.silverprint.co.uk also is an option for you. This is inside the EU and that allows one to avoid some customs inspections. I'm not sure though if they ship outside of the UK, I have no personal experience with them. Many sellers are very hesitant to ship chemicals to destinations which cannot be reached by simple ground transport (e.g. car or truck). Atcraftchemicals really is a precious exception to this rule.

Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 02:02

I think this should be moved to Reagents & Apparatus Acquisition, since it was a mistake when I placed it in Beginnings. I misunderstood the term.
Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2009 at 06:14

Btw which websites would you propose to buy apparatus from?
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 1-2-2009 at 09:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurus
Btw which websites would you propose to buy apparatus from?

Your best bet would be to find a supplier near you but after hearing your situation I find that unlikely. Many suppliers on eBay ship worldwide, it might not be cheap though.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 05:50

Yes, use eBay. There are MANY suppliers. Just search for test tubes, erlenmeyers, distillation setups, etc. Do not forget German eBay, you can find a lot over there as well.

Aurus
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:22

Thanks
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 13:43

Have a look at these specific eBay sellers:
- baffcat (located in UK)
- sir_flacon (located in DE)
- thadeustitus (located in DE)

They all ship internationally. Bafcatt and thadeustitus sell new glassware and other materials, sir_flacon sells second hand materials. Prices in general are good.

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 6-3-2009 at 15:04

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
There is a good seller over here (http://www.labstuff.nl), but chemicals are not shipped outside of the Netherlands (maybe to Belgium, but not to other countries). I have good experience with this seller.

I just checked out labstuff, and I must say that I'm astonished! :o
1L RBF 6,50€! 40 cm spiral condenser 26,50€!
Have you purchased any jointed glassware from him? If so, what brand is it? Although the pictures show Schott DURAN brand, I doubt he can afford to sell such top-notch glass at such prices.

Go To Top