Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fluorouracil synthesis?
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:07
Fluorouracil synthesis?

I have had some knuckle pads for around two years now, and the dermatologist said there is no effective treatment (knuckle pads are a keratodermal thickening of the skin at finger joint positions without established cause). They're not disabling but uncomfortable and if I don't bite them or file them down, they tend to grow further and eventually crack, which can be painful or bleeding.

I have read a recent paper about a promising treatment option using fluorouracil ( http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/143/11/1458 ), but this is still too new and even if I convince the dermatologist to do it, there is no way my medical coverage would pay for it, and there is no way I can afford it at this point or in the near future. Thus, I would like to synthesize it, and I'm asking for help here as to how to go about that. I normally have access to only OTC substances, but with some effort and risk might be able to acquire other reagents.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:26

Perhaps this will be of some use to you:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS10_2/8/final.pdf

Found with just a few moments using google. I shall consult with my lab partner on this synthesis to see whether we have immediately available the required chemicals to conduct this procedure.

Ozonelabs

stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:27

Put the effort into buying the real thing. Yet, the ingestion of the raw material would be a violation of certain laws i guess.

Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 13:30

Pardon? You do not ingest it--you put it in the affected skin area.

The only affordable I see is very low concentration cream. Assuming I can find an online pharmacy that will ship to Canada without prescription (and I haven't yet), I'd still need a way to extract the substance from the cream, as the application described in the paper referenced is intralesional, not topical.

Ozone, kindly let me know what you find out.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley

Go To Top