Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: question an N-acetylation of aniline, using aspirin
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2013 at 21:59

Quote: Originally posted by amazingchemistry  
Ah, my understanding was that you had also performed this reaction. Or was it for monitoring purposes only? Perhaps the oxidation can be mitigated by adding zinc dust, as per Vogel, resulting in a better yield.

Yes, I did perform the reaction (see above), but as far as I know, only Jor reported a preparative experiment (you asked for isolated yields which only be given for preparative experiments). For obvious reasons, I was more interested in studying the reaction, rather than preparing acetanilide (which I had anyway). What I found is that it gives no side products and gives good conversion in mater of hours. You now have all the information needed to easily develop a high yielding preparative version (both products can easily be separated and isolated).
I don't know exactly what you mean by adding zinc. There is no oxidation going on under proper reaction conditions. Actually, I observed no competing reaction pathways.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 15-6-2013 at 12:55

Well, Jor started out with colorless aniline but reported his reaction mixture turned brown upon heating, and speculated (correctly I think) that this was due to some amount of aniline being oxidized. Perhaps this is due to his reaction being solventless? In the section concerning acetanilide preparation, Vogel presents several methods, and a small amount of zinc dust to is added to those that require some amount of reflux. He states that it serves to both reduce colored impurities and prevent aniline oxidation. If no side reactions are observed with an appropriate solvent however, this would be redundant. On the topic of the solvent, would acetonitrile or ethyl acetate be better? IIRC, you mentioned that IPA or some other alcohol could also be used. Would you expect the choice of a polar over a non polar solvent to affect yield much?
Edit: On rereading, I did notice that, as you correctly pointed out, Jor heated his rather too much (above the melting point of the desired product) could this explain the oxidation he observed?

[Edited on 15-6-2013 by amazingchemistry]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top