Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: solubilities of organic compounds
jimwig
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 12:25
solubilities of organic compounds

would CRC be the best place to look for a thorough listings of the solubilities of organic compounds. chemicals.???

craZy jiM wGGns

--packrat, professional bum. -- once just tired
now REtired.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2009 at 14:49

This is probably better fit for the short questions thread. CRC handbook of chemistry and physics is an OK place to find the solubility of compounds. You could also try to find the solubility of the compound(s) online. I don't think one could give a proper answer to "The best place" for the solubility of organic compounds though since they may not have the chemical you need, at the temperature, or with the right solvent. The CRC only has the solubility for the compounds in common solvents, right?

Is there a specific compound you'd like to see the solubility for?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2009 at 04:02

The International Critical Tables has more detailed solubility tables. They are somewhere in the References section; and a Google search should bring up rapidshare.com links and Torrent downloads of them. Try this search:
"International Critical Tables" PDF OR DJVU OR ZIP OR RAR "rapidshare.com" OR mihd OR ifile OR megaupload OR mediafire OR badongo OR torrent
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-1-2009 at 19:00

searchilnng for particulars online could last a small lifetime. it would be so handy to have a ready reference.

try looking for polyethylene glycol and or benzaldehyde. and oh yes try throwing in the all too prevalent vacuum adjustments.

no i didn't think so.

look when i ask a question it about 98% sure that i have rubbed scuff marks on my fingers looking online. but you guys are so quick to criticize instead of offering a smattering of your immense and all encompassing knowledge.

i was told a long time ago if it is not yours don't pick it up and the same thing holds afaik here. i read many many threads and i rarely say anything unless it is positive and i happen to know something even remotely relevant

but thank you for your comments and i shall always live with them in my heart and soul

i was told that i should use proper grammar and correct spelling when posting out of respect for the members.

so does anyone feel disrespected over this post? please respond in kind.

thank you all so very much

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-1-2009 at 19:04

JohnWW ----that is a huge help. thanks.

if it is available for download i will try to make them available to the members here.

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2009 at 20:17

I downloaded the International Critical Tables last November 2 as a single PDF of 318 Mb. The description and URL is:

http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=868268&page=12
International Critical Tables of Numerical Data, Physics, Chemistry and Technology (1st Electronic Edition)
Publisher: Knovel
Number Of Pages: 3414
Publication Date: 1926 - 1930; 2003 (Electronic Edition)
ISBN / ASIN: 1591244919
Description: This classic and well-known reference was originally published from 1926 - 1930 for the National Research Council in 7 volumes. It contains an enormous amount of critical data on inorganic and organic compounds, and pure substances. Featuring physical, thermodynamic, mechanical, and other key properties, it is a major reference source used by those involved in chemistry, physics, and engineering.

In 2003, Knovel undertook the conversion of this publication into full-text searchable electronic format that makes data easily accessible. 7 most important tables were made interactive for increased searchability and user-friendliness.

PDF download in one part: 318.0 Mb
http://www.rapidsharedata.com/go/107183154/International_Cri...
which automatically redirects to an hidden link (to foil the Copyright Gestapo, although having been published in 1930 the copyright has now expired in nearly all countries) on rs254gc2.rapidshare.com. Add the extension .pdf after downloading.

[Edited on 24-1-09 by JohnWW]
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-1-2009 at 03:16

Quote:

ook when i ask a question it about 98% sure that i have rubbed scuff marks on my fingers looking online. but you guys are so quick to criticize instead of offering a smattering of your immense and all encompassing knowledge. i was told a long time ago if it is not yours don't pick it up and the same thing holds afaik here. i read many many threads and i rarely say anything unless it is positive and i happen to know something even remotely relevant but thank you for your comments and i shall always live with them in my heart and soul i was told that i should use proper grammar and correct spelling when posting out of respect for the members.

The reason I told you spelling and grammar are so important, is exactly because you and other people won't find or understand squat when searching if your writing is all fucked up.

Also, I'm annoyed by your occasional doubleposting and careless posting in general.

Secondly, we don't have all encompassing knowledge, but the reason we have knowledge is because most of us busted our asses searching and learning it the hard way.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2009 at 13:08

thank you again i have now on hand the critical tables of various disciplines.

i am sure this is a very good thing.

mr vulture is that to say i was born with my 61 years of experience in various and most bloved fields of endeavour.

i do indeed post in a casual manner but that is no sin sir.

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 19:54

I wish there was a web site where everyone could post, anonymously or named as one chose, the ressults of our solubility studies. I always end up doing several on intermediates during the course of a synthesis and it would be nice if we all published those kinds of data somewhere.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2009 at 13:22

a small clarification

"fields of endeavour" should be chemistry and physics generally (from the net etc) and not specifically from this board.

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2009 at 13:45

maybe a word of clarification about my original post.

my point is that i wish to seperate a solution of polyethelene glycol from benzaldehyde. my thoughts are use a vacuum distillation but i do not know the curves of the compounds. that is the varying solubilities at varying vacuums (or i suppose pressures for that matter)

IOW i have bitter almond oil and wish to purify same.\\

i have searched but i have not found the necessary info on the two principle compounds.

i do not wish to be flamed about some protocol violation on this so please save it for sometlhing of a more major phoppa er that is fuck up.

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 01:18

Bitter Almond oil is almost pure benzaldehyde and there are refs in the library on purification of organic compounds. I believe the one that applies is a distillation followed by formation of the bisulfite adduct, release of same and re-distillation.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 02:19

Boiling points:

benzaldehyde 178.1 C
triethylene glycol 285 C
tetraethylene glycol 315 C
pentaethylene glycol 338- 340 C

PEG400 is a mixture of N-ethyleneglycols with N averaging 9 , care to guess at a minimum boiling point? With the wide of a boiling point difference, all you need to focus on is benzaldehyde, water (always traces with polyols), and any other low MW compounds. The CRC table of BP for organics shows benzaldehyde boiling at about 90 C at 40 mmHg - water-jet aspirator range; simple vacuum distillation should do a decent job of separation.

PEG 400 is soluble in water, acetone, alcohols, benzene, glycerin, glycols, aromatic hydrocarbons and is slightly soluble in aliphatic hydrocarbons. The partition coefficient of PEG400 between hexane and water is 0.000015 Solutions of lower MW PEGs in water show increased solvent power towards compound soluble in alcohols and ether but with only slight water solubility. In other words, PEF+water dissolves benzaldehyde noticeably better than water.
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 08:28
much lower bp for peg

my sources give a much lower b. p. for peg. around 188C or so. close enough to question that a separation could be accomplished by fractional distillation.

hence my question to do with vacuum distillation.

i will first of all try separation with a fractional column

that not working i will redo under various degrees of vacuum and note bp of compounds

i can do better than aspirator as i have a lab grade motorized vacuum pump. forget the brand.

more exotic type of separation (which i do am not familiar with) will then be candidate for trial.

as the title of this board suggests i am seeking knowledge in the area of chemistry so i make mistakes and hopefully go on to gain from same.

i welcome constructive criticism but do not wish to be roasted alive for simple questions while perusing some unknown field of endeavor.

all who post in like in kind vain i thank you.

craZy jiM wGGns

now REtired.

Go To Top