Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who has the GC/MS?
hacker
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 00:28
Who has the GC/MS?

I want to analyze a small sample of ASA. Does anyone provide GC/MS services to this forum? What about infrared spectroscopy?

It would be beneficial to have a sticky post on analysis services for the amateur.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 01:20

I don't think you will pick up the expected contaminations with gc/ms. Or in other words, the sample preparation will purify your product, making it look clean.
hacker
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 01:43

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I don't think you will pick up the expected contaminations with gc/ms. Or in other words, the sample preparation will purify your product, making it look clean.

The binder materials used in USP aspirin pills are not soluble in ethanol. If ethanol is the solvent, the binder will not be detected. Salicylic acid, acetic acid, and other crap are soluble in the same solvents as ASA.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 05:50

Yes, ok, you could check for hydrolysis. But as your asa comes from pills I don't expect much more than that.
hacker
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 05:56

That is OK. The purpose of a GC/MS is to find things that you do not expect.

Does anyone have a GC/MS that can be used by members of this forum? I can mail samples to any address.
andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2019 at 22:50

Quote: Originally posted by hacker  

Does anyone have a GC/MS that can be used by members of this forum? I can mail samples to any address.

My local university does allow people to use a electron microscope for something like $60/hour (with a 1 hour training for $100 or something). I hope the same exists for GC/MS.

In the USA I too am interested in (calibrated?) ICP-MS for analysis of maybe 4 solid alloy samples and 2 solution samples. Probably more alloys in the distant future. I just need to go ask around the university sometime. EDIT: Yahoo! They'll do both solid & solution ICP-MS for $30-40 each sample! Awesome people. Very well calibrated too looks like.

[Edited on 15-1-2019 by andy1988]
drwei
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-1-2019 at 05:24

I do have access to GC/MS instruments and would be happy to offer some service if required.

I would question however what merit there is in analysing store bought ASA pills. ASA quantification by GC/MS would require some derivatization (with metholic BF3 or BSTFA for example) which adds to the cost of analysis and would be quicker and cheaper by a LC. HS or HS-SPME-GC/MS could be an option if you were only interested in screening for things like residual solvents or other VOC and SVOC but again, if the pills are store bought, is it really worth the cost?
Sgt.browncoat
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 08:20

Quote: Originally posted by hacker  
I want to analyze a small sample of ASA. Does anyone provide GC/MS services to this forum? What about infrared spectroscopy?

It would be beneficial to have a sticky post on analysis services for the amateur.

I run a specialized lab have access to everything from GCMS both nitrogen carrier and hydrogen carrier gasses, FTIR and Raman spectroscopy, ion mobility spectroscopy, and massive libraries with everything you can think of in them.

PM me if you have something you want me to run.

No cost to anyone, mail me your samples. I'll run and send you a report for free.

[Edited on 31-1-2019 by Sgt.browncoat]

Go To Top