Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Large lab
ChemistryForever
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 13:10
Large lab

At how many different chemicals would you consider a home lab be a truly big one ? I mean when would you say that a lab starts to be a bit professional, like man you can do almost everything you want there.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 14:38

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 16:41

....and thanks for all the fish......
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 17:15

Although a large stock of chemicals is nice, more importantly, in my opinion, is having the necessary apparatus/glassware/(instruments, hopefully), to do something with all those chemicals. And the more capabilities you have, it seems like the more area you need for it all.;)
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 05:41

you could have 1000 chemicals and maybe use the same 50 every time, just buy what you need when you need it. i don't think there is here one of us that can afford to buy randomly hundreds of reagents with the hope to maybe use it just once in a distant future, if you have infinite space and infinite money, just buy the whole Sigma catalog:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 07:53
A cautionary tale

When I picked up chemistry as a hobby almost five years ago I was gung-ho and earning an income
so as chemicals were mentioned here on SM I bought them :o

I do have a quite nice collection of chemicals (about 100) :D
BUT
many of them are so far unused :( :(

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 10:23

Quote: Originally posted by ChemistryForever  
At how many different chemicals would you consider a home lab be a truly big one ? I mean when would you say that a lab starts to be a bit professional, like man you can do almost everything you want there.

Gathering a stockpile of substances shall hardly amount to anything more than just creating a warehouse....unless it is accompanied by a growing stockpile of knowledge and the inclination towards adaptability.

Gather enough knowledge and before long you can step into any room with confidence that you can do almost everyhing you want, irrelevant of the collection of substances that surround you :)

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by markx  

Gathering a stockpile of substances shall hardly amount to anything more than just creating a warehouse....unless it is accompanied by a growing stockpile of knowledge and the inclination towards adaptability.

Gather enough knowledge and before long you can step into any room with confidence that you can do almost everyhing you want, irrelevant of the collection of substances that surround you :)

Yep.

But if you are still looking for a list, this thread has some, as well with the mindsets that go along with them:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=80997

I have my list as well...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 13:33

To my mind, the thing that sets a lab apart as more than amateur is not size. It is analytical equipment.

I have not done a stock-take, but through various means I probably have around 200 different chemicals. That is not including what I have in the element collection.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 27-12-2018 at 14:32

I just checked my inventory spreadsheet and I have about 170 rows, though a few of them are really the same chemical in different grades or stored in multiple locations.

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
To my mind, the thing that sets a lab apart as more than amateur is not size. It is analytical equipment.

I'm an amateur and I have an HPLC....

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 28-12-2018 at 07:46

Size does not matter. Professional labs make money or generate new knowledge. amateurs just play for the fun of it.
There are plenty small professional labs operated by modestly trained/knowledgeable people.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 18:58

I think that a good example of a 'large lab' for an amateur would be NileRed's lab. He moved into a new building (not his garage) because he ran out of room to place apparatus/chemicals. Despite having a very modestly sized space, he is moving again this year into a massive space. Thats a good example of a more professional large amateur lab.

In terms of a large garage like lab, Extractions&Ire has a fairly decent sized one in his shed/outdoor garage.

That's what I would suggest checking out if you are looking for a visual aid.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 19:52

Thunderf00t has a very well stocked lab that I would consider amateur in function: even though it has several hundred thousand dollars of equipment in it. In his latest video he details how he has been supporting technician for a research team... Interesting stuff.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 2-1-2019 at 22:13

NileRed isn’t really an amateur any more though, he’s effectively a professional chemistry educator now.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 23:22

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
NileRed isn’t really an amateur any more though, he’s effectively a professional chemistry educator now.

Technically, I suppose you are right since he is selling ready made kits and is self employed in a lab, although he still represents us and researches for the amateur community.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  

Technically, I suppose you are right since he is selling ready made kits and is self employed in a lab, although he still represents us and researches for the amateur community.

He's living the dream: A hobby that pays for itself! I wonder how long he will be able to make videos, I'm surprised he hasn't been purged by youtube like chemplayer and others.

And to stay on topic: I'd say a lab is large enough when you cannot list all your chemicals from memory. For me that would be about 100 different chemicals.

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by Heptylene]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 09:57

I have 250-300 chemicals and occaisionaly pick up a new one as required. I never buy a chemical unless I need it for a planned experiment.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 15:08

nile red is no longer an amateur. an amateur means you are following a hobby without getting payed. he is getting payed from youtube so he is a professional now.

lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 6-1-2019 at 15:13

it really depends on what chemicals you have in your lab, some are more useful than others

Mush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 12:26

"A home lab is truly big" when eats up all your time and saved or earned money. When your lab becomes first other things second.

I would consider a home lab very large when one is able to carry out very complex synthesis, using various methods, equipments and perform intsrumental analysis on that specific synthesized compound. Where most reagents readily available from shelve.

Big lab is where one can reproduce most well known physico-chemical property measurements. For example determining: melting point , boiling point, pH, redox potential , density and specific gravity, refractive index , optical rotation. Has reagent base to reproduce most school experiment and perform various complex synthesis.

Go To Top