Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Self-made BaFeO4-capacitors
chief
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:59
Self-made BaFeO4-capacitors

Since the BaFeO4-preparation is common among chembooks, and the BaFeO4 has some advantageous dielectric constant, one might have the idea to use this to make some nice capacitors ... ...

Anyone tried this ? As I understand the dielectric contant varies with frequency, but it usually is given in the 1000's (water has 80), so building a leyden-bottle with such dielectric might still result in a strangely high capacitance (and dangerous in the high-voltage-case) ...

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by chief]
WaveFront
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 13:05

Maybe it would be practical if you could make thin film with that material or use as aditive for the film(?).

By the way, BaFO4 should be a good oxydizer, isn't it?

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by WaveFront]
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 13:18

Not to sound foolish, but do you mean BaSO4?
I ask because BaFO4 seems unlikely. IIRC, Fluorine doesn't from FO4- or similar oxoanions, and Ba with F- and O2- would require Ba to be in the +9 oxidation state.
Even Ba(FO)4 seems unlikely - Ba(OF)2 (Barium Hypoflourite) I could see, but with two hypofluorites, not 4...

I'm confused.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 13:35

I made a stupid mistake above: I talk about BaFeO4, the ferrate ... (I'm gonna try to correct it now)
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 22:07

Nice job editing :) Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 06:10

Soak paper in the dielectric, and roll mylar or aluminum foil as a sandwich... 2 paper and 2 foil. Insert into a tube.

That's about all I know about making a capacitor! :(
sakshaug007
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 09:38

You could also try making a sol-gel using Ba(NO3)2 and Fe(NO3)3 precursors dissolved in a 5M citric acid solution then dip coat a material and calcine to produce the BaFe2O4 ceramic film.

We use a similar procedure where I work to produce multi metal oxides i.e. BaxSryCa1-x-yTiO3.

"If everyone knew everything what would be the point?"
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 04:28

Ba(FeO2)2 as prepared above would be barium ferrite(III). However, because of the likelihood of unutilized 3d electrons on the Fe entering the conduction band, resulting in conductivity, and of Fe-Fe delta-bonding, it would probably not be a dielectric, unlike BaTiO3. It would probably be a semiconductor. BaFeO4 is barium ferrate(VI), with some properties superficially like BaSO4 such as crystal structure and being very insoluble; but it is quite strongly oxidizing, comparably to permanganate(VII), and liable to decompose on heating. (BTW Fe(VII) as FeO4- and (VIII) as FeO4 are theoretically possible, and just might be obtainable by electrolysis of cold alkaline solutions of the ferrate, but do not seem to have been reported).
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 06:09

A bit of work but...Perhaps if you could make/get volatile barium and iron compounds you could improvise a CVD setup and expose some heated aluminum foil to the volatile precursors.
Mind you, volatile barium compounds do not sound like fun. And this would take a lot of fiddling to get the correct stoichiometry.

sakshaug007's solgel idea also seems workable, and I have done extensive Mn solgel work, and they always seem to increase oxidation state during the process, so the Fe3+ used may indeed be oxidized under said conditions to give the desired ferrate. The OH termination of the thin oxide layer on aluminum foil may make Al foil a suitable substrate.

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 22:35

How thin could this material be layed out and how well would it compare to Mica?
I have made a TEA laser a while ago and the DE for these just sucks, no matter what you make it of. For this reason I don'use it much. With a dielectric strength of 1000 I think alot of use could be made from this material under one condition.... What is its inductance/thickness value? Will this be able to propagate a charge within 2ns or less?

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 13:00

Go To Top