Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozonelabs: Synthesis of Benzocaine
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 14-3-2009 at 15:39
Ozonelabs: Synthesis of Benzocaine

Here is the first in our series of -caine anaesthetic syntheses, if anybody has any comments to make please feel free to do so.

Thank you,

The Ozonelabs Team

Attachment: Benzocaine.pdf (193kB)
This file has been downloaded 2599 times

Klute
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 09:49

Very nice! I love your reports!

But why didn't you mention the amount of product collected and the yield obtained?

Was the p-aminobenzoic acid commercial? Synthesis of benzocaine from p-nitrotoluene or even toluene is a very good multi-step synthesis to get familiar with organic chemistry technics, I often recommend it to begginers, lots of trivial reactions, which helps one discover workup technics etc.

keep up the good work!

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 15-3-2009 at 10:16

Thankyou very much indeed Klute!

Indeed there was an oversight on our part- the yield was collected and currently is drying in our dessicator- we shall report back with the figures when we are next at the lab.

The p-aminobenzoic acid was bought commercially and purified further by us.

Thanks,

The Ozonelabs Team

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2009 at 00:13

Ozonelabs, thanks for such a detailed report.
I would just like to suggest that you could just as well post your experiments in the Prepublication section given that they are carefully prepared, with pictures and all the details, therefore suitable even for beginners. I would just suggest to make the introduction longer (including also the theory) and provide some references or further literature on the topic. Also, I miss the basic analysis of the products, particularly the melting point measurements (which serve not only to confirm identity, but also purity). Otherwise, I just have no other suggestion. Keep up the good work!

Go To Top