Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29  
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (2)
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2010 at 16:18

A couple weeks ago I came across a word I cant remember. Triflication or trilication or something like that. Something like fermentation or microbial processing of biomass. Can't remember the exact word. Does anybody know it?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2010 at 07:14

Trifurcation? i.e. the process of cutting into three (c.f. bifurcation of the tongue!) - would make sense in biofuel context due to the glycerol backbone...
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 25-6-2010 at 05:07

I have a question, many of the members here are able to purchase chemicals and equipment from many of the larger chemical distributers. But when I look on thier web sites I see they do not ship to individuals or residential adresses. So my question is how are some people able to order from the larger chemical and science equipment distributers, but not others? Is there some secret? I have tried contacting a few through email and most of them refused (others did not even reply...). I have heard some people buy through smaller companies that re-sell the chemicals, but even they do not sell to individuals.

If anyone can help me that would be great, as I am getting tired trying to make every reagent I need.:P
querjek
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 09:52

In aluminum amalgam, is AlH4- formed in situ?

it's all about chemistry.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 12:37

No, aluminium amalgam is a source of electons, which are the "reducing agent".
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 12:58

@mnick12 - one way to get access to chemical suppliers is: start a consulting business. Get a business bank account, a business credit card, and a business telephone line. Run the business for 10-20 years from the same address. Order various non-chemical apparatus every now and then for projects. Then when the chemical company pulls a credit reference on you, it looks legit, and they will ship.

It helps if the use of the chemicals is legit - being able to explain exactly what you want and what it's going to be used for when the company calls is a big plus. I've even gotten a few samples for free that way :D
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 21:00

I've been trying to find some physical properties for this compound without much success......

1-Phenyl-2-amino-3-iodopropane

noted some information on this patent but it too has been a challenge to acquire will post the request in the appropriate thread......solo

K. Shinohara, M Tamura and T. Hosoda, 1-Phenyl-2-aminopropanes. Japan Patent No.
10,914 (1964) June 17,196l. C.A. 61: 11930cd (1964).

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2010 at 22:00

Not getting anywhere with the Japanese patent, but there is a U.S. patent a year later that looks as if it might contain the same information.

Quote: Originally posted by solo  
I've been trying to find some physical properties for this compound without much success......

1-Phenyl-2-amino-3-iodopropane

noted some information on this patent but it too has been a challenge to acquire will post the request in the appropriate thread......solo

K. Shinohara, M Tamura and T. Hosoda, 1-Phenyl-2-aminopropanes. Japan Patent No.
10,914 (1964) June 17,196l. C.A. 61: 11930cd (1964).

Attachment: US3193581A.pdf (563kB)
This file has been downloaded 565 times

spong
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 05:20

Hi, first post but I've been lurking for quite some time.
I'm going to try to make vanillin and for the oxidization of potassium isoeugenolate to vanillin, nitrobenzene can be used but it is apparently hard to keep a stable temperature and whatnot.
Instead p-nitrobenzoic acid or m-nitrobenzenesulfonic acid in alkaline water were suggested in the patents I've read.
I was just wondering if it's absolutely necessary to use p-nitrobenzoic acid and not another isomer like m-nitrobenzoic acid as I have benzoic acid and could easily nitrate it but would get virtually no p isomer. I have no toluene and the polystyrene method looks tedious.

[Edited on 30-6-2010 by spong]
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 14:53
Citric and Acetic acid reaction with mno2

Is there any reaction of citric and acetic acid with mno2?
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
2-7-2010 at 15:16
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 20:48

I ordered Sodium Silicate from a ceramics suppler. They sent me 'Sodium Dispex' instead. What is it? And is useful for anything other than a deflocculant

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 03:00

Appears to be the sodium salt of short chain polyacrylic acid CAS : 9003-04-7

http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/Produit.asp?no_produit=269712

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
Appears to be the sodium salt of short chain polyacrylic acid
It's similar in composition to the Darvan deflocculants. I don't know about the relative molecular weights of the polyacrylates, though. A search for "Dispex G40" or "Dispex N40" will yield more specific information. They're also used in formulations as viscosity modifiers.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 06:59

Mewrox99, if you ordered sodium silicate (usual formula Na2SiO3, "water glass", so called because of its solubility) from a New Zealand supplier, but received that stuff instead, i.e. the sodium salt of a polymeric organic acid, you were obviously sent the wrong stuff. Under the NZ Fair Trading Act 1986 and Consumer Guarantees Act 1986 and Sale Of Goods Act 1908, you are entitled to return the "Dispex" at the supplier's expense, and demand that they either supply you with the correct stuff or else refund your money.

Na2SiO3, which has a polymeric structure with oxygen atom bridges, is used to make freshly-prepared silica gel (amorphous hydrous SiO2) by acidification of an aqueous solution, and the product is used as a dessicant in closed containers after heating in a drying oven to drive off the water. A solution of Na2SiO3 is also used to coat eggs as a preservative.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 02:38

I accidentally left a container of solid NaOH open for a few hours. Should I replace it.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by mewrox99]

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:16

Depends what you need it for and how much money you have. Presumably you now have (slightly more) sodium carbonate and water contamination than before. For almost everything I've used NaOH for (soap, basifying stuff, making sodium salts) this wouldn't matter in the slightest. But if you're trying to achieve anhydrous conditions or doing serious analytical chemistry I guess it could be problematic.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 07:54

Does anybody know where i could find a chart for the solubility of piperazine freebase in a variety of solvents (idealy things like DCM).

I am trying to make piperazine freebase from piperazine phosphate and thought the best way to do this would be dissolve the phosphate in NaOH (aq) then extract with DCM.

Thanks for any help!
d010060002
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 09:47

Hi guys.

i was reading through a procedure on how to recycle Silver Chloride ( Recycling silver chloride, Edwin Thall 1981), and i came across a warning against the explosive nature of Ag(NH4)2+. I've never come across this ion before. Has anyone had any experience with it/ ways to make it?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 11:05

I think that, due to the complexing ability of NH3, AgCl is soluble in concentrated NH3 solution with formation of the ammine complex.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by Picric-A  
Does anybody know where i could find a chart for the solubility of piperazine freebase in a variety of solvents (idealy things like DCM).

I am trying to make piperazine freebase from piperazine phosphate and thought the best way to do this would be dissolve the phosphate in NaOH (aq) then extract with DCM.

Why are you interested in solubility when you then ask about extraction? Solubility and partition coefficients do not correlate!
Anyway, it took me exactly 10 seconds to find the logP(octanol/water) for piperazine. It is -0.8 so you can forget about extracting it with a separatory funnel (logP -0.8 equals a partition coefficient of only 0.16!). A continuous extraction with a ethyl acetate would extract it, but with a separatory funnel you would recover only a part of it, though depending on how many times you would extract you could extract a large part of it. However, in no case would such an approach make much sense, because there are better approaches viable.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Satan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 14:09

Maybe heating with excess CaO, then distilling from CaO with some inert gas to prevent formation of piperazine carbonate would provide clean piperazine. Calcium residues in glass apparatus can be cleaned with HCl, or safer way with vinegar. Piperazine phosphate has m.p. of about 222°C according to:
http://www.39hg.com/jp14e/14data/Part-I/Piperazine_Phosphate...

"However, in no case would such an approach make much sense, because there are better approaches viable."
Can you elaborate?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by Satan  
"However, in no case would such an approach make much sense, because there are better approaches viable."
Can you elaborate?

You already elaborated on it. Why using an extraction for a compound that can barely be extracted with anything but numerous ethyl acetate extractions, when you can just dry distil? I would use NaOH, KOH, or much more preferably Ca(OH)2 so that the glassware does not get damaged. A minimum water would not hurt to speed up the initial process as you would probably want to collect the hexahydrate anyway. For the anhydrous piperazine you would need to redistil from whatever drying reagent that is used, but anhydrous piperazine is required only for very few uses and I don't think it is required for whatever Picric-A needs it. Actually, I think that he could use piperazine phosphate directly, but that is his own choice.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 15:24

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Quote: Originally posted by Satan  
Can you elaborate?

You already elaborated on it. Why using an extraction for a compound that can barely be extracted with anything but numerous ethyl acetate extractions, when you can just dry distil? I would use NaOH, KOH, or much more preferably Ca(OH)2 so that the glassware does not get damaged. A minimum water would not hurt to speed up the initial process as you would probably want to collect the hexahydrate anyway. For the anhydrous piperazine you would need to redistil from whatever drying reagent that is used, but anhydrous piperazine is required only for very few uses and I don't think it is required for whatever Picric-A needs it. Actually, I think that he could use piperazine phosphate directly, but that is his own choice.

So would this be satisfactory, dry (i will add a bit of water as yes i do want the hexahydate) distill the reagents under a (moderatly) high vacuum so i do not get solid piperazine clogging my condenser (it has a m.p. of 104degC.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 22:39

Two quick questions.

Has anyone successfully made a persulfate ester?

I did a quick google search and found nothing.

What level of toxicity does TATP have?

mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2010 at 05:34

This is a short question not related to science. What is the whimsy board?

Pages:  1  ..  27    29  

Go To Top