Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chemistry-related photography
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 22:03

It's a little too wide, but rather than resize why not just crop a bit off the sides?

It does look good, and the technique is a way to keep the camera away from hot or corrosive zones.

dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 04:01

Hello,

I found that using a stand for the camera can make a large difference as I seem to always be shaking, however small.

Some of the photo's I have uploaded are a disgrace so I am not lecturing.

Dann2

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 07:44

Shaking is a problem. Thats why when taking these photos I take as many as I can and then chose the on that is the lest blurry.

I resized the pictures N_I. I never thought about keeping it away from corrosive materials because honestly this is the closest I was ever able to get the camera to an object and still get a picture. For me its been a battle to get as close as I can and still retain clearity.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 08:54

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  
I found that using a stand for the camera can make a large difference as I seem to always be shaking, however small.

Stting up a tripod for every closeup can be a pain, but acceptable sharpness at 1/50 sec is possible.
Pressing the camera very firmly (to the pain threshold) to one's head so that the camera can't move without the head moving is an old trick.
Using the highest possible ISO, aperture and shutter speed often works wonders too. . .
Some DSLRs have a MUP (mirror up) setting and this is great off a tripod---using MUP handheld takes practice but it gives exceptional results.

[Edited on 18-7-2009 by hissingnoise]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-9-2009 at 14:41

I have changed my write-up about photography quite a lot. Some obvious things are added, the discussion, started by Vulture about aperture size has been taken into account and a section is added on how to deal with high contrasts. I hope it even more helps people making good chemistry-related pictures:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/misc/photography....

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 20-9-2009 at 01:34

Very nice. And very useful.
nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2009 at 18:06

Interesting read! :)

About the DOF discussion some posts earlier...

DOF can also be increased artificially in a process called focus-stacking. The process resembles HDR technique, only that photos are taken and combined with different point of focus, instead of exposures. The program that I use for this is PhotoAcute studio, which also contains a large number of predefined lens profiles, making things even more easy. Supposedly this feature will also available in PS CS4.

I usually shoot with drive set to single shot, and AF off, then just turn the focus ring and take like 3-5 pictures while moving the focal plane through the subject.

It is like shooting with a pin-hole lens, but than sharp as hell! The results can look static for some compositions though...

Wonderfull exmple of focus stack use: (Although not chemistry related)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/221132303/in/set-72157601...

[Edited on 24-9-2009 by nitro-genes]
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 29-10-2009 at 13:45

I thought you might enjoy this site Woelen. You may have seen it before but it contains quite a few very nicely done pictures of chemistry related topics.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
medchem
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 22:28

wow, pictures are really good.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 25-8-2010 at 16:51
Various dyes transilluminated at 300nm

I had a good "science day". RGB :cool:! I was looking for a third "yellow" to give red, but didn't have anything that filled-the-bill on the shelf.

Cheers,

O3

RGB_082510_crop_labels_small.jpg - 111kB

[Edited on 26-8-2010 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top