Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Hyponitrite
Flip
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 21:21
Sodium Hyponitrite

So I've just been sitting around looking at my reagents and I was wondering if there is anything cool I can do with sodium hyponitrite?

I could use it to make (tertiary) organic hyponitrites, but to what end?

I need ideas for a cool experiment to quell my boredom. :(

[Edited on 4/26/09 by Flip]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 13:59

I had not heard of "hyponitrite" before you had mentioned it, but based upon what I have read then what you have is NaNO right?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 16:17

there are many nitrogen-oxide derived acids and salts not only nitric/nitrates and nitrous/nitrites. I have an inorganic text (can't recall for the life of me what it is) which has a nice section dedicated to their preparation, properties and reactions. I will try and have a look see what is listed in there (it's not really an area I am clued up on or interested in!)

A quick search of JACS reveals a paper (I haven't read fully) which uses silver hyponitrite and reacts with t-alkyl bromides and trialklsilyl chlorides to form the dialkyl hyponitrites etc.

Navamoney Arulsamy, D. Scott Bohle, Jerome A. Imonigie, and Elizabeth S. Sagan, 2000, "Correlation of the Product E/Z Framework Geometry and O/O vs O/N Regioselectivity in the Dialkylation of Hyponitrite" J. Am. Chem. Soc., 122 (23), 5539-5549

[Edited on 27-4-2009 by panziandi]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 17:45

That, NaNO, would be sodium nitrosyl, or nitroxide, containing the NO- anion, -N=O . It would probably be formed by direct reaction of Na metal with gaseous NO, which contains an unpaired electron, although such a reaction would be highly exothermic. It could probably be used in organic synthesis to introduce nitrosyl, -NO, groups into electron-deficient parts of molecules by nucleophilic addition.
Flip
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 19:59

Sodium hyponitrite I believe is Na2N2O2.

I'm just wondering if I should keep it around or if it could be useful someday. I would hate to throw it out only to find I could have used it. I'm like a pack rat that way.

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 20:43

How stable is it?

If it has a long shelf life, just keeping it is an option.

What brand is it?

Never heard of sodium hyponitrite before, and I have been at this 50 years.

Na2N2O2 you say?

[Edited on 27-4-2009 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 21:17

Odd. I've never heard of hyponitrites either, but they even have a wikipedia page.

It says that organic trans-hyponitrites can be used as a source of alkoxy radicals. I wonder if there is some interesting chemistry that can be done with that.

The free acid trans-hyponitrous acid is said to form explosive crystals when dry, but is somewhat unstable in aqueous solution. Sounds like a topic for energetic materials.

[Edited on 4-27-09 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 00:11

Sodium hyponitrite is better described as Na2N2O2. This is the sodium salt of hyponitrous acid, H2N2O2. The anhydride of this acid is N2O.

IIRC, H2N2O2 is one of the strongest oxidisers out there, am I right?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 00:48

Jor: N2O should not be considered the anhydride of H2N2O2 since you can not form hyponitrites nor hyponitrous acid from it. It's less of an acid anhydride than carbon monoxide! It is only an anhydride in as much that it is formed by dehydrating the acid but is not a conventional anhydride.

H2N2O2 -> N2O + H2O is irreversible

Hyponitrous acid and salts are very resistant to reduction (claims of reduction to hydrazine have since been disputed). Easily oxidised, however, to nitrites by alkaline potassium permanganate, nitrites can then be further oxidised to nitrates.

Sodium hyponitrite is stable up to 260*C when it decomposes to sodium nitrite and nitrogen.

Sodium hyponitrite is stable dry. Since hyponitrous acid is a weak acid hydrolysis occurs in the presence of moisture quickly generating free hyponitrous acid which quickly decomposes. Alkaline solutions of hyponitrites are stable by reducing hydrolysis.

"Inogranic Text Book For Advanced Students" E. de Barry Barnett and C. L. Wilson.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 02:00

I wonder if it forms complexes with transition metals such as the complexes between Cu or Fe and CN- or Cl-
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 03:38

Indeed, hyponitrite is N2O2(2-), and this ion is fairly stable in acidic solutions. On addition of alkalies, it decomposes, the main product being N2O, most likely there are other nitrogen oxides as well as side reactions (nitrogen-based compounds seldomly react cleanly and quantitatively in a simple way).

In my books it is mentioned as a mild reductor, stable in dry air and fairly stable in acidic solutions. I can imagine that this is interesting as a compound for making complexes and/or metal precipitates. Some of these may have energetic properties, so be careful when playing around with this, only use small quantities.

Do not throw away the stuff. Keep it, it does not introduce a strong storage hazard, and if you throw it away you might regret later.

Edit: I accentally exchanged acidity with alkalinity and this compound is fairly stable in acidic solution, while being unstable at high pH.

[Edited on 27-4-09 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 15:55

I would imiagine it to be interesting as a ligand. But I would agree with woelen, that some complexes maybe quite energetic so would edge on the side of caution scale-wise. And I have seen a few sources mention organic hyponitrites as radical sources etc, obviously these compounds would need some care, I haven't looked up safety information but would imagine photosensitivity and explosive hazards. Certainly do do get rid of the sodium hyponitrite but at the same time don't waste it. I'm sure you'll find something of interest for it.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 10:57

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Indeed, hyponitrite is N2O2(2-), and this ion is fairly stable in acidic solutions. On addition of alkalies, it decomposes, the main product being N2O, most likely there are other nitrogen oxides as well as side reactions (nitrogen-based compounds seldomly react cleanly and quantitatively in a simple way).(cut)

The structure of that anion would probably be -O-N=N-O- . If it were to be tried as a ligand for metal cations, particularly those of transition metals, there would be a question of exactly how it would bond. Transition metal cations preferentially bond to N atoms over O atoms, but in this case it may result in complexes with highly-strained 3-membered rings.
Formatik
National Hazard

Mood: equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 15:23

Alkyl hyponitrites are more hazardous and unstable than alkyl hypochlorites. Some of the heavy metal salts are explosive, e.g. as characterized by A. Kirschner in Z. anorg. Chem. 16 [1898] 429: the basic lead salt, Pb(NO)2.PbO, is whitish yellow and amorphous, but the normal salt builds small yellow crystals. Both are insoluble in water. The basic lead salt is reported to deflagrate on heating, but the normal salt, (Pb(NO)2), explodes in the same instance; with both leaving behind bright lead oxide. Scattered daylight dec. the basic salt with brown color dec. quickly so it has to be handled in the dark. Conc. H2SO4 will decompose the hyponitrous acid and its salts under formation of N2O, I remember reading somewhere that N2O is only considered the theoretical anhydride of the acid.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 15:42

No indeed as I mentioned furher up N2O isn't considered a true anhydride since you can not form the hyponitrites nor hyponitrous acid from it. It is therefore even less of an anhydride than carbon monoxide is!

I could imagine that the heavy metal hyponitrites would have been explosive.

I personally wouldn't try any organic chemistry of hyponitrites unless you opertated on a small scale, note the silver hyponitrite required is likely explosive, and not to mention the alkyl hyponitrites would be unstable explosive light stable etc etc etc. Also I'd expect that operating under a filtered light, i.e. yellow light dark room.

JohnWW - would the metals co-ordinate via the O- forming a bi-dentate 5-member ring system as opposed to through the N? This would be interesting to explore... I don't suppose woelen has any or can get any hyponitrites... I'm sure he would be able to chuck out a few nice pictures :P

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 11:07

No, I have no hyponitrites nor do I have a source where I can purchase some :( ;)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 12:27

Well woelen, we have a source! Aldrich, we can buy there through our local supplier. But the stuff is too expensive!
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 17:57

Indeed, $241 for 10g. How much do you have, Jor?
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 21:11
Hyponitrite ?

That's a new one even for me. It's been said that you learn something new everyday.
Even chemsavers website, who supplies a good deal of obscure, my term, compounds
at unreasonable prices doesn't carry it.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 04:35

http://jupiter.chem.uoa.gr/pchem/lab/pubs/XX_26A(1961)70.pdf

You need sodium metal to form hyponitrites from NaNO2. I wonder if there is also an organic route starting from pseudonitrosites.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 07:58

Yes, I have seen this method in Brauer as well. Problem is you need a LOT of nasty mercury to form the sodium amalgam.

Go To Top