Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: apparatus to reflux under vacuum?
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 15:08
apparatus to reflux under vacuum?

so i was wondering what would be an apparatus to perform a reflux under vacuum. i posted a picture of the only thing i could think without buying additional glassware. so forgive the picture i attached, i know it's a riot but hey it gets the point across :D

Untitled-2.jpg - 40kB
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 15:48

You'll be hard pushed to find a round bottom flask that has a male cone to fit in the top, a stopper would suit better!

Personally I would opt for a T-piece or a cone-to-tubing connector (both very cheap) and place them above the condenser. Although having not used it to reflux under vacuum I have used it to remove gaseous by-products from a reaction whilst refluxing.

What are you planning on doing out of curiosity?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 15:57

Panziandi has a good point, and the same point I would have made myself. A stopper would be just fine.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 28-4-2009 at 17:03

i thought a round bottom with a male cone was a stopper. True, they are generally smaller if constructed from a rb (like 10ml), but i have several sizes up to 500ml. I always assumed they were used to create headspace in a system. Another variant is the test tube with male cone stopper.

This then leads me to ask what are these 500ml round bottoms i have with b34 male cones designed for, if not stoppers for systems where some head space is needed. they are factory blown (schott) so there must be a specific use for them.

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 12:39

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
This then leads me to ask what are these 500ml round bottoms i have with b34 male cones designed for, if not stoppers for systems where some head space is needed. they are factory blown (schott) so there must be a specific use for them.

Well, the people using Schlenk techniques often use flasks with male cones. c.f. Schlenk tubes/flasks. Tubes are preferred when using Ar for the higher headspace.

My guess is that OP wants to isomerize some allylbenzene to the corresponding propenylbenzene with solid KOH. This can also be done without vacuum, but apparently the vacuum helps in temperature control and its supposed to remove water from the KOH(?).
EmmisonJ
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 14:11

the vacuum is to reflux at a lower temperature to hopefully help against polymerization. it theoretically should help remove water from the KOH prior to isomerization as well.

vacuum just seems like a good idea when you're in need of a reflux when your lowest bp compound is still 200+C to keep side-reactions to a minimum

[Edited on 30-4-2009 by EmmisonJ]
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by EmmisonJ  
the vacuum is to reflux at a lower temperature to hopefully help against polymerization. it theoretically should help remove water from the KOH prior to isomerization as well.

This is a quite cumbersome way of temperature control, since maintaining a given vacuum is harder than maintaining a given temperature. So I think you got it backwards: the point is to remove water and maybe oxygen(?), with reflux at lower temperature being a nice side effect.

Quote:
vacuum just seems like a good idea when you're in need of a reflux when your lowest bp compound is still 200+C to keep side-reactions to a minimum

I don't see why you would need a reflux. Reflux is usually only performed in order to work at an easily reproducible temperature. Indeed, I've done this reaction in a closed system below reflux temperature with good yields. Though I applied vacuum until reaching the reaction temperature. Running it under constant vacuum may increase the yields somewhat, but I think not by much.

[Edited on 1-5-2009 by turd]

Go To Top