Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Sodium Acetate, need a fast way to purify Acetic Acid.
The Fountain of Discordia
Harmless

Mood: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 03:56
Making Sodium Acetate, need a fast way to purify Acetic Acid.

I'm making a batch of Sodium Acetate, but wanted to work with a higher grade of Acetic Acid. I looked up the melting point of Acetic Acid, which is 16.2*C. My basic procedure would be to:

1. Lower temperature of vinegar to below 16.2*C
2. Let solidified acid acumulate at bottom/top of container, depending on density.
3. ???
4. PROFIT

Of course this will not work as I have found out the sodium acetate is soluble in water(WolframAlpha). Are there any easy to obtain chemicals I could use to lower solubility?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 04:06

Sodium acetate is readily available as it has a lot of uses.
Making it from vinegar is bordering on the masochistic as you will only get tens of grams from a litre of 4 - 6% vinegar.

Harmless

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 04:15

Sure, and I've already ordered .5 kg of it, but I still want to produce it myself as an excersise.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 04:26

Take a litre of distilled vinegar and add a strong base eg sodium carbonate in small portions with stirring until it is faintly basic eg pH 8 to indicator paper.
Pour the solution into a pan and concentrate to ca 20 - 40 ml, you may be better off using a water bath instead of direct heat in the later stages.
Place in the coldest part of the fridge or use an ice bath and allow to crystallise.
Hydragyrum
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 04:52

I made some just the other day - from vinegar. I bought the cheapest brand I could find, which was completely colourless (so I am hoping there's nothing besides acetic acid in the water).

I then assumed a concentration of 5% and added the predicted amount of NaHCO3. After reaction subsided, I noticed no further smell of vinegar, and heated the solution (carefully) to expel the rest of the dissolved CO2.

After this was done, I reduced the volume to about 1/5 of original (by heating), and found that crude product separated overnight.

Chemistry is life (and a whole lot more)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 09:06

There will be other organics in there no matter if its distilled white vinegar or not. The means you took to crystalize the product should clear more of that out of your sodium acetate. A wash of the precipitate with acetone should make sure that the majority of the contamination is washed off the outside of the crystals.

~Sedit

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Hydragyrum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 03:01

My solvent resources are meagre and I don't have acetone. Despite this, I guess a recrystallisation would be sufficient to clean it up. I wanted it for making copper acetate, and similar, and figured crystallised NaOAc would be better (and more quantitative) than vinegar ;)

4-Aminophenol
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 12:11

Hi

In germany you can buy "vinegar essence" thats 25% acetic acid, but I´m not sure if that´s selled in your country, too.

If not you could buy 10l 5% vinegar and add Soda until the ph-value is 7. Evaporate the water. Now you´ve got about 680g sodiumacetate. Add concentrated sulfuric Acid and distill the acetic acid.
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 14:56

Iam not sure if it is sold in your country.
But in the stores we in holland call toko's (malaysian for store) they sell all kinds of eastern products.
They sell vineger with a strenght of 80%, its meant to be dilluted.

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
Hydragyrum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2009 at 01:01

Wow, 80%? We do have asian shops here in Australia so maybe I can find this product here too - I'll ask around.

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 21:11

Isn't that like corrosive (80% acetic acid)?

I know there is a good simple extraction out there, but if you are short on the materials, Mix in NaCO3 or NaHCO3, until pH 7. It is better in my point to have more acetic acid than the crystalline base. Keep adding the base until pH 7 on an indicator or a meter. Boil the result down, or distill it to remove the acetic acid. You could do further recrystallization to get rid of excess base. The white vinegar here in Oregon is 18%.
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 14:39

Quote: Originally posted by User  
Iam not sure if it is sold in your country.
But in the stores we in holland call toko's (malaysian for store) they sell all kinds of eastern products.
They sell vineger with a strenght of 80%, its meant to be dilluted.

I live in japan. I'm sure there are all manner of interesting things here, but I cannot read kanji, just the kana. 'tis mighty annoying.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 14:46

http://www.geocities.com/scripturalphysics/etc/CopperAspirin...

If you want to go thru this to synthesis Copper acetate then you may as well form it under dilute conditions so when you evaporate the bulk of the water you will be left with copper acetate instead of sodium acetate. Just scroll down on the page for a copper acetate synthesis.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan

Go To Top